Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trouble installing Linux Mint 19 [SOLVED]
I've been running Linux Mint Mate successfully for awhile now on an old HP PC starting with 18.2, then 18.3.  I decided to try 19 and made a live usb which booted fine.  After what appeared to be a successful installation, the reboot results in a black screen with a flashing cursor in the upper left-hand corner.  Googling returned many hits for a similar result when attempting to boot from a live CD but not for after having installed to a hard drive.

Attempting to interrupt the grub by holding "Shift" during boot has been unsuccessful.

I tried the other versions - 19 Cinnamon, 19 xfce, and I also tried reinstalling 18.3 - all of which gave the same result described above.

I'm wondering if I should try a non-ubuntu based linux distribution (such as Linux Mint LMDE).
My next step is to try to edit grub.cfg and updating to the hdd.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?
I encountered this while switching to Mint a long time ago, but i cannot for the life of me remember what my fix was. I think I found the fix on YouTube, but I don't remember for sure. I'll look in my history, and see if YouTube keeps history that long, and look up the date I had the problem. If I find what I'm looking for, I'll post the fix here. Otherwise, I'm sorry!
Had the same problem a few times. Seems to be a result of GRUB and video mode. Don't have the exact steps, but you can try searching for the fix to add "nomodeset" to your GRUB config file. It may also have to do with the newest kernel, going back a version or two might resolve the problem as well. That's the other think I had to do.
(08-18-2018, 01:57 AM)Free-John Wrote: Had the same problem a few times.  Seems to be a result of GRUB and video mode.  Don't have the exact steps, but you can try searching for the fix to add "nomodeset" to your GRUB config file.  It may also have to do with the newest kernel, going back a version or two might resolve the problem as well.  That's the other think I had to do.

This right here I remember! I had an Nvidia card at the time, and having to use grub to set ''nomodeset" in the Grub-rescue that had popped up. Nvidia cards don't like Linux all that much. Unfortunately to play many games, you need a good nvidia card. Even though their drivers are crap compared to AMD drivers lately.
(08-18-2018, 01:25 AM))OnEvenKeel Wrote: I've been running Linux Mint Mate successfully for awhile now on an old HP PC starting with 18.2, then 18.3.  I decided to try 19 and made a live usb which booted fine.  After what appeared to be a successful installation, the reboot results in a black screen with a flashing cursor in the upper left-hand corner.  Googling returned many hits for a similar result when attempting to boot from a live CD but not for after having installed to a hard drive.

Attempting to interrupt the grub by holding "Shift" during boot has been unsuccessful.

I tried the other versions - 19 Cinnamon, 19 xfce, and I also tried reinstalling 18.3 - all of which gave the same result described above.

I'm wondering if I should try a non-ubuntu based linux distribution (such as Linux Mint LMDE).

This is a very common issue among more or less all Linux distributions. At this link (scroll down to 'Solving freezes') there's a small video showing you how to fix your issue.

/Damian.
- @damianrath   //    "With age comes wisdom & with experience comes understanding."
- github

(08-18-2018, 10:29 AM)DamianRath Wrote:
(08-18-2018, 01:25 AM))OnEvenKeel Wrote: I've been running Linux Mint Mate successfully for awhile now on an old HP PC starting with 18.2, then 18.3.  I decided to try 19 and made a live usb which booted fine.  After what appeared to be a successful installation, the reboot results in a black screen with a flashing cursor in the upper left-hand corner.  Googling returned many hits for a similar result when attempting to boot from a live CD but not for after having installed to a hard drive.

This is a very common issue among more or less all Linux distributions. At this link (scroll down to 'Solving freezes') there's a small video showing you how to fix your issue.

/Damian.

Thanks, everyone, for such quick replies!  I've seen many of the posts discussing how to defeat the driver incompatibility using nomodeset.  But, these solutions seem targeted at getting the live CD or live USB to boot, initially, before installing.  My live USB boots fine, so whatever settings are used by the live USB must be good.  It's only after I shutdown after installing that I get the problem, and I'm still very much a noob and haven't figured out how to change the grub settings and successfully update grub on my hdd (I can locate the grub file on the hdd and edit it, but I can't figure out how to update the grub.cfg on the hdd).  I'll keep researching and trying.
Use This command to update grub in a terminal. 

Code:
sudo update-grub
(08-18-2018, 09:35 PM)OnEvenKeel Wrote:

/Damian.

Thanks, everyone, for such quick replies!  I've seen many of the posts discussing how to defeat the driver incompatibility using nomodeset.  But, these solutions seem targeted at getting the live CD or live USB to boot, initially, before installing.  My live USB boots fine, so whatever settings are used by the live USB must be good.  It's only after I shutdown after installing that I get the problem, and I'm still very much a noob and haven't figured out how to change the grub settings and successfully update grub on my hdd (I can locate the grub file on the hdd and edit it, but I can't figure out how to update the grub.cfg on the hdd).  I'll keep researching and trying.

If I understand you correctly you performed a live cd install to the hdd and during the reboot of the hdd, you get the black screen with the cursor in the top left corner.     Just to clarify when you reboot the hdd are you able to hold down the shift key to allow you to access and modify the gnu grub parameters?  On Ubuntu variants holding down the shift key while booting will bring up a text base grub interface to allow kernel parameter modifications.   You have to make sure you are holding the shift down before the hdd is booting.  So as soon as you see your bios displaying the hit f12 to change boot order or whatever your bios greeting is make sure you immediately hold the shift key down until you see the grub text based interface.   
(08-19-2018, 01:22 AM)deck_luck Wrote:
(08-18-2018, 09:35 PM)OnEvenKeel Wrote:

/Damian.

If I understand you correctly you performed a live cd install to the hdd and during the reboot of the hdd, you get the black screen with the cursor in the top left corner.     Just to clarify when you reboot the hdd are you able to hold down the shift key to allow you to access and modify the gnu grub parameters?  On Ubuntu variants holding down the shift key while booting will bring up a text base grub interface to allow kernel parameter modifications.   You have to make sure you are holding the shift down before the hdd is booting.  So as soon as you see your bios displaying the hit f12 to change boot order or whatever your bios greeting is make sure you immediately hold the shift key down until you see the grub text based interface.   
Yes - you understand me correctly.  And, yes, I've tried holding "Shift" while attempting to boot from the hdd without success.  Just in case my timing was poor, I'll try this again later today and report back.  I did not have this trouble with 18.2 or 18.3.  I also tried an older live usb of Bohdi with the same result.  I feel like I am missing something obvious.  Thank you.
sometimes it does pay to stick with the older versions of Linux Systems,
and not to upgrade, in any hurry - - particularly if you are happy with that old version:
- - upgrade for a reason, that is - - unlike the Windows System, it's not a real necessity.

but, now that you have installed LM19, then you can also make any changes
to that installed system, by editing the appropriate file(s) in the Live Environment.

note that the direct editing of the grub.cfg on the hdd is not really recommended,,
as you really should edit the files in /etc/grub.d/ and then run the update-grub command.