Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How does everyone feel about Pop_OS!?
why Ubuntu MATE vs Debian Mate?
I prefer the latter
(10-02-2018, 06:29 PM)mexsudo Wrote: why Ubuntu MATE vs Debian Mate?
I prefer the latter

For many reasons.  While Debian is a fine base I have found Ubuntu polishes the rough edges for desktop usage.  Another reason are PPAs.  You may like them or hate them but I still find them useful.  Also I really like the Ubuntu MATE team although I am not pleased with the choice of Brisk and have said so on that forum.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer
Brisk Menu... never used it, was unaware of it. From a quick google it does not look like something I would want.
(10-02-2018, 09:45 PM)mexsudo Wrote: Brisk Menu... never used it, was unaware of it. From a quick google it does not look like something I would want.

Yeah.  I totally dislike that menu.

What I don't understand is why they took away the choice of the advanced menu from the traditional layout when that option is still there for Redmond.  It is totally silly.  I have no issue adding Brisk as long as I may choose the old method.

I really like in Ubuntu MATE that there are a lot of desktop layout choices.  So I am perplexed as to why Brisk wasn't added as another option.   Undecided
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer
i distro swap with five different laptop, using 10 hard drives as testers, i have found it "Pop_OS" the most boring, plain , and windows looking distro out there, lol, JMHO , hey if you like it fine, i use ubuntu, Kali and Mint for my working OS'S

(03-05-2019, 11:12 PM)Geodude Wrote: i use ubuntu, Kali and Mint for my working OS'S

As a general advice to anyone interested in Kali,
I just want to point out that it is a generally really bad idea to use Kali as a main OS,
or as anything else besides its intended purpose: A live environment.

Kali is purpose build for penetration testing and nothing else.
It is basically outdated debian (old stable IIRC) with some preinstalled packages and some very questionable choices made by the developers.

By default it boots you directly onto the desktop as root.
The developers also removed certain security features to make pen-testing easier.
So in fact, it is easier to get Kali infested with malware than any mainstream distribution.

Its packages are basically never updated, because the developers don't expect anyone to actually install it.
And if there are updates, you should not expect them to not break your system.
Despite, many of the default packages in Debians repository, which is enabled in Kali,
will break it just when you install them.

Speaking of packages, Kalis only redeamable feature are the preinstalled packages,
a feature which is basically worthless, since they are just preinstalled, not preconfigured.
Using Kali for its preinstalled software only makes sense when used as non-permanent a live environment.

If you, for whatever reason, want to use these programs,
I strongly recommend to just install them in your favourite distribution.
As an example, to follow any of these stupid youtube tutorials about how to "hack" your neighbours WiFi with Kali,
you will only need 'aircrack-ng' and 'nmap'. (Disclaimer: Don't do that.)
Other popular tools include 'hashcat' and 'ettercap', which should all be in Debians repositories,
mitigating the need for Kali to exist to practically zero.
Besides, Kali is not the only live pen-testing distro and by far not the best one: Parrot is leagues ahead.

And one last thing: Using Kali, running some "hacking" programs and following tutorials will not turn you into a hacker.
If you are actually interested in this topic, ignore Kali and learn programming and networking.
My website - My git repos

"Things are only impossible until they’re not." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard