Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How does everyone feel about Pop_OS!?
Me personally, I love it, but i'm pretty sure there's many other people who don't feel the same way.
It it made for System76 computers so it doesn't feel right on any other computers, but i like the theming so much that i installed it on my other computers.
I wanna see how you other guys feel.
Hi Jessica and welcome to EzeeTalk!

I'm really liking POP_OS!. I'm running it on my System76 Galago but would have no problem running it on other computers. Have you been playing around with the keyboard shortcuts? I like how everything is based around the super key.
Welcome to Ezeetalk

post belongs in the community commons section - this is for Ubuntu, thanks
(09-26-2018, 04:17 PM)Cthulhu Wrote: I'm really liking POP_OS!. I'm running it on my System76 Galago but would have no problem running it on other computers.

How do you like the Galago?
I thought about getting one, but in the end decided to get the Librem 13 from Purism,
mostly for the hardware kill switches, CoreBoot as BIOS and to support the reverse engineering of the Intel ME.

(09-26-2018, 04:17 PM)Cthulhu Wrote: Have you been playing around with the keyboard shortcuts? I like how everything is based around the super key.

Super is my most pressed key for sure.
I use i3 to get a completely keyboard controlled working environment and it is truely nice,
especially on laptops.
My website - My git repos

"Things are only impossible until they’re not." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
web site says "Pop!_OS encrypts your installation by default and is the only distro that enables full-disk encryption out-of-the box from System76."
so, is full-disk encryption mandatory on a normal computer/laptop?
that would be a deal killer for me
(09-26-2018, 09:50 PM)mexsudo Wrote: web site says "Pop!_OS encrypts your installation by default and is the only distro that enables full-disk encryption out-of-the box from System76."

I am unsure...
But from what I know, Pop!_OS is deisnged to use a different installer,
one, that installs the OS without creating any user accounts,
so that System76 can ship out their Laptops with Pop!_OS already installed.
As far as I know, the user is asked to create a standard linux user account on first boot after the installation.
This could imply, that it by default always uses its standard settings during installation, including encryption.

But I am not sure how it works, since I have never used it myself and it might even be likely that the version you can download from their website uses a more traditional installer.

Despite all of this, "[Pop!_OS] is the only distro that enables full-disk encryption out-of-the box" is definitely a wrong statement.
My website - My git repos

"Things are only impossible until they’re not." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
Hands down the WORST UI and GUI
Ive used ever

Even worst then apple

I uninstalled popOS after 15 minutes and back to Ubuntu Mate
Tongue 
(09-27-2018, 12:09 AM)charliebrownau Wrote: Hands down the WORST UI and GUI
Ive used ever

Even worst then apple

I uninstalled popOS after 15 minutes and back to Ubuntu Mate

Really???? I feel exactly the opposite - I live its look and feel and especially the fonts. Just goes to show - different strokes for different folks! Smile

(09-26-2018, 10:07 PM)leon.p Wrote:
(09-26-2018, 09:50 PM)mexsudo Wrote: web site says "Pop!_OS encrypts your installation by default and is the only distro that enables full-disk encryption out-of-the box from System76."

I am unsure...
But from what I know, Pop!_OS is deisnged to use a different installer,
one, that installs the OS without creating any user accounts,
so that System76 can ship out their Laptops with Pop!_OS already installed.
As far as I know, the user is asked to create a standard linux user account on first boot after the installation.
This could imply, that it by default always uses its standard settings during installation, including encryption.

But I am not sure how it works, since I have never used it myself and it might even be likely that the version you can download from their website uses a more traditional installer.

Despite all of this, "[Pop!_OS] is the only distro that enables full-disk encryption out-of-the box" is definitely a wrong statement.
You can choose whether to encrupt or note. It's selected by default, but you can unselect it. I never turn on encryption - don't really need it.

Yes it does do an OEM install as stated. You create your user account after the reboot after installation so you are correct.

(09-26-2018, 02:35 PM)JessicaFEREM Wrote: Me personally, I love it, but i'm pretty sure there's many other people who don't feel the same way.
It it made for System76 computers so it doesn't feel right on any other computers, but i like the theming so much that i installed it on my other computers.
I wanna see how you other guys feel.

There's nothing specifically System 76 about it, except for the drivers. I've installed it on my Dell laptop and it looks and works just fine. I do have a NUC that is the same model as their Meerkat and I've installed System 76 on it as well, but I don't notice any difference between look/feel/performance on it compared to the Dell.
leon.p - The Galago is awesome. I like the Librem too for all the kill switches etc. I maxed out the RAM on the Galago

mexsudo - Disk encryption is optional. I set it up as I'm paranoid. It doesn't take long to dencrypt and then you get a regular login.
Welcome to EzeeTalk.

I am neutral on it personally.  I have made it very clear my current favorite is Ubuntu MATE.  Still I highly respect System76 and the work they do for the Linux community.  We need more hardware vendors focusing on Linux.

As for your post it is fine.  Pop!_OS is based on Ubuntu and this forum is for Ubuntu based distros too.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer