Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arch Linux (and derivatives); issues and discussions
So, is there anyone here using Arch or related distros (I personally use Antergos)?

I got the idea to make a new thread for this from the issue I'm experiencing right now (fullscreen videos and programs cause the Wayland session to crash, though not the Xorg one, GNOME by the way).

Hello to any other users here! Big Grin
Name: Sandy Vujaković
Laptop: Dell Inspiron 3793 (17", i5)
(09-19-2018, 09:16 PM)elsandosgrande Wrote: So, is there anyone here using Arch or related distros (I personally use Antergos)?
I am using Parabola, based on arch Smile

(09-19-2018, 09:16 PM)elsandosgrande Wrote: I got the idea to make a new thread for this from the issue I'm experiencing right now (fullscreen videos and programs cause the Wayland session to crash, though not the Xorg one, GNOME by the way).

The problem here is that Wayland and Xorg are absolutetly different ideas how to manage displaying multiple graphical programs in the frame buffer at once.
They are so different, that you can't use Wayland as a drop in replacement (It is not even a display server, like Xorg, just a protocoll).
This is problematic, because many programmers only know how to work with Xorg, not with Wayland.

This means that Wayland often is an after thought for many projects (some won't implement it at all).
Now combine that with a distribution based on arch, which is not just cutting edge, but bleeding edge,
meaning that software is never tested for longer than a few months (at most) before getting into the repos.

So you definitely have to expect a few bugs and issues.

If you want, you could look at the error messages of GNOME to see if this issue could be fixed by yourself.
Disable the displaymanager, log into a TTY and start GNOME with Wayland manually, then get it to crash.
You should be back at the TTY now, where you will see error messages (scroll with shift + page up / down).
But mostlikely, you wont be able to fix the issue, even if you know what it is.
I recommend using Xorg for now, switching back to Wayland once a fix has been rolled out.
I noticed that it was not the case with Xorg, but it was fixed a day later (at most) by an update (either that or I stumbled onto the fix by myself, but I'll just go with the update hypothesis, since I get so many now that I can't even keep count of them).

On the error messages side, I tried reading journalctl, but realized that it got wiped on every crash (or at least it seemed like it).

Now to wait for Freon and GSConnect to get updated to 3.30 compatibility.
Name: Sandy Vujaković
Laptop: Dell Inspiron 3793 (17", i5)