Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XBT for Distro Switch?
Just wondering if XBT can be used to distro hop?  Any info appreciated.
(09-09-2018, 05:37 AM)DahRat Wrote: Just wondering if XBT can be used to distro hop?  Any info appreciated.

As far as I know, XBT copies everything inside your home directory.
This will include things like configuration files.
So in theory it should work, but it will override any previous configuration files.

You could in theory however tweak XBT for ths purpose.
It uses the 'rsync' command for file transfer, which lets you exclude directories from copying.
Just exclude all dot-files, meaning everything that start with a '.', meaning every hidden file.

To do this, open the script in your favourite text editor and append the following to every rsync command you can find:
Code:
--exclude '.*'
Be careful, rsync is a very powerful tool and as such, you coud lose data even with a small typo.
So before using this, I would advise making a backup with something else (like regular XBT).
(09-09-2018, 08:10 PM)leon.p Wrote:
(09-09-2018, 05:37 AM)DahRat Wrote: Just wondering if XBT can be used to distro hop?  Any info appreciated.

So in theory it should work, but it will override any previous configuration files.

It uses the 'rsync' command for file transfer, which lets you exclude directories from copying.
Just exclude all dot-files, meaning everything that start with a '.', meaning every hidden file.

To do this, open the script in your favourite text editor and append the following to every rsync command you can find:
Code:
--exclude '.*'
Be careful, rsync is a very powerful tool and as such, you coud lose data even with a small typo.
So before using this, I would advise making a backup with something else (like regular XBT).

(09-09-2018, 08:10 PM)leon.p Wrote:

Code:
--exclude '.*'
Thanks for the reply leon, food for thought.