Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Favourites
OK, let's kick off with one of the perennial questions... Favourite Distros

In my case the top 3 distros on my computers are...

1) MX Linux  Donkey's years ago, before Ubuntu was born, I had started using Linux (SuSE in pre-OpenSUSE days) as a server to test things at work that the sys admin wouldn't let me do on the "official" test server. I decided I wanted Linux at home too, and tried a few and ended up on SimplyMepis. Today, MX Linux is a descendent of Mepis inspirit, if not in code base.

2) Peppermint Linux (specifically Pepp 9). Fast, has some nice features that are it's own thing and easy to install and use. If only it's default colour scheme didn't make it look like the red light district (way too much red, 9 is better than 8 though).

3) Arco Linux  A change from the .deb distros, this Arch based distro is proving to be rather nice, easy to install (I went with the ArcoLinuxB-Xfce option), easy to maintain and as stable  as I could want (despite my fears about Arch base distros being "breakable").

Honourable mention must go to Mint (Xfce - I'm an Xfce fan) and the ancestral Debian (I'm developing a soft spot for Buster, the Testing branch - Sid is a little too wild for me).

Now, what's your list?
(08-17-2018, 09:57 AM)TerryL Wrote: OK, let's kick off with one of the perennial questions... Favourite Distros

1) MX Linux  Donkey's years ago, before Ubuntu was born, I had started using Linux (SuSE in pre-OpenSUSE days) as a server to test things at work that the sys admin wouldn't let me do on the "official" test server. I decided I wanted Linux at home too, and tried a few and ended up on SimplyMepis. Today, MX Linux is a descendent of Mepis inspirit, if not in code base.

2) Peppermint Linux (specifically Pepp 9). Fast, has some nice features that are it's own thing and easy to install and use. If only it's default colour scheme didn't make it look like the red light district (way too much red, 9 is better than 8 though).

3) Arco Linux  A change from the .deb distros, this Arch based distro is proving to be rather nice, easy to install (I went with the ArcoLinuxB-Xfce option), easy to maintain and as stable  as I could want (despite my fears about Arch base distros being "breakable").

Honourable mention must go to Mint (Xfce - I'm an Xfce fan) and the ancestral Debian (I'm developing a soft spot for Buster, the Testing branch - Sid is a little too wild for me).

Now, what's your list?

For me, I really like Mint Mate.  But, I love Manjaro Mate.

I'm currently on Mint 18.3.  But, I am testing LMDE3 like crazy.  I really want it to become my daily driver.  IMO, Ubuntu based distros are getting slower and slower after you use them for a while.  It's time to get away from them.  I think this is one of the reasons the Mint Team is putting so many resources into LMDE.  Another reason....  Ubuntu may not be around forever.  Best to have another platform base ready to go.

If LMDE3 falters for me, I am going back to Manjaro.
(08-17-2018, 10:17 AM)jspoonamore Wrote:
(08-17-2018, 09:57 AM)TerryL Wrote: OK, let's kick off with one of the perennial questions... Favourite Distros

Now, what's your list?

For me, I really like Mint Mate.  But, I love Manjaro Mate.

I'm currently on Mint 18.3.  But, I am testing LMDE3 like crazy.  I really want it to become my daily driver.  IMO, Ubuntu based distros are getting slower and slower after you use them for a while.  It's time to get away from them.  I think this is one of the reasons the Mint Team is putting so many resources into LMDE.  Another reason....  Ubuntu may not be around forever.  Best to have another platform base ready to go.

If LMDE3 falters for me, I am going back to Manjaro.

I really liked Manjaro when I tried it, but Arco just tipped it out, but I couldn't articulate a logical reason, just like I can't say why I don't like Cinnamon DE, but it doesn't feel right for me somehow.

As for LMDE, I've been playing with the Beta version and I looking forward to the released version - hopefully an Xfce version or I'll install Xfce. I prefer to go to the source (Debian) rather than Ubuntu as a base, as twice Ubuntu releases have trashed things for me.

After the Ubuntu 17.10 BIOS wreck, I switched to Mint 18.3 and could happily live with the new 19 if I had to.
Hi all,

For me on my production machines it is Manjaro KDE. Linux Mint cinnamon is on the family pc

I haven't tried Arco Linux yet.
As has been said in the videos Ubuntu MATE is my distro of choice for desktops. I believe there are many other fine distros but, at this time, Ubuntu MATE has my attention for its ease of use, modern libraries, continuing development, and similar layout to the way a computer GUI should look ;-).

That isn't to say there aren't changes I would like to see along with some annoying bugs. However there is always room for improvement in any software package.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer
My current preferred Distros

* Linux Mint MATE 18.3 / 19 (My current Main OS)

* MX Linux 17 (Testing to move all my Linux computers to a distro that is not Ubuntu based)

* Ubuntu Server 16.04 Headless (Used on all my servers)
(งツ)ว SudoWAX
Networking, Linux, Computer Pack-Rat enthusiast, Overland Travel ...
Right now I'm running Ubuntu (GNOME), Xubuntu, and Linux Mint. I really can't choose a favorite but I stick to the Ubuntu/Debian side of things. Smile
-- Your Fearless Leader!

My daily driver is Ubuntu MATE, with Mint formerly being used as a close second favorite. All of my servers are running CentOS 6/7 since I'm more accustomed to RHEL server administration. I also have an Arch partition with KDE as a "toy" to play with from time to time.
Fedora 28. Well, because . . .

Now, what's your list?
I am on SWAGARCH using good old XFCE.