Poll: Has Windows Ran Itself Into The Ground?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
YES! It Is Worthless!
72.22%
13 72.22%
It's Still Ok.
27.78%
5 27.78%
NO! Windows Is Fantastic!
0%
0 0%
Total 18 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Antique PC has me thinking
Aetesaki:

Unless I missed something, I don't think anyone is personally attacking you.  People are just expressing their opinions about Linux and Windows.  And naturally, people on a Linux forum are enthusiastic about Linux.

I learn something new on this forum all the time.  And I value a community where people from different backgrounds and with different levels of experience can interact with and learn from one another, even if I happen to disagree with a particular opinion.
(08-20-2019, 10:12 AM)aetesaki Wrote: The hate mongering hardcore Linux fanatics such as leon.p are spouting, is the reason why so many of us hate the Linux community.

I am not a "linux fanatic", I am a free software fanatic. I would happily abandon Linux if there was a better free-as-in-freedom kernel / operating system.

Jokes aside, I am definitely not "hate mongering". And I highly doubt that I am "the reason why so many of us hate the Linux community".

This is how this here went:
  1. You stated your opinion.
  2. I answered.
  3. You accuse me of being hateful.

If you post your opinions anywhere on the internet, if you tell them to anyone, even a close friend, you should always expect your opinions to be challenged. And if someone challenges your opinion, they are not attacking you.

(08-20-2019, 10:12 AM)aetesaki Wrote: The Linux community is ugly and vile, [...]

To quote Wikipedia: [citation needed]

I believe that things such as this forum easiely prove that this is wrong.

(08-20-2019, 10:12 AM)aetesaki Wrote: The Linux community hampers Linux' status in the marked

[citation needed]

You are the only one here who used "ugly and vile" words.

By the way, the community around Linux and free software is the only reason for it actually being usable today. Do you really believe that any company would have contributed if there wasn't already many volunteers and hobbyists working on it? Or that it would be as free (both as in price and as in freedom) if the community did not have strong hacking guidelines, packed into the GPL license (Because no, open source is not enough)? Here is the thing: Every single piece of free software you use exists because of this community.
My website - My git repos

"Things are only impossible until they’re not." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
(08-19-2019, 09:13 AM)aetesaki Wrote: Ok, I know I'm swearing in the church, but I don't get it. Why in the computer's most dustiest fan blade does so many in the Linux community think Linux is the best thing since sliced bread?

actually i  am surprised that it took this long for someone to step up and defend windows.

Quote:Windows is still the best all-purpose OS on the marked!

When you say all-purpose, what exactly do you mean?
Because Windows is on the desktop, laptops, some tablets, and a hand full of servers.

Linux/UNIX is on those and everything else. Linux/UNIX runs most of CERN. helps to run the ISS, is in every smart device in your home, from your TV to your toaster. from your phone to your WiFi router. It runs the majority of all servers. No super computer in the world runs windows, they are all ran by Linux. Linux is in your smart wrist watch, your car, your Bluetooth headset, your child's toys, in the satellites that run your world, its in your dish washer, and even runs the cow machines that give you your milk

Now not to bust your chops, but that seems a little more all-purpose to me.

I used to be a windows fanboy back in the day. So I get it. But then I was set free by Linux. But before that I also went on the attack. eventually I tried one month without windows, and by the end of the month i was hooked,,,, rather,,, unhooked from the ball and chain of Windows.

Windows still has its place. Though much smaller than a decade ago.

And what you don't get, is that it is the freedom, not the versatility.

Try a windows free "Linux month". your choice of distro.

anyways
kudos
A computer without Microsoft is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.
-
It is okay to not be able to answer a question,
however it should be a crime to not be able to question an answer.

@ArrowLinux
(08-21-2019, 09:44 AM)aetesaki Wrote: The Linux fanatics are lying about Linux! Linux is not an all-purpose OS.

You think I am lying when I say I use Linux for everything?
My website - My git repos

"Things are only impossible until they’re not." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
(08-19-2019, 04:04 PM)leon.p Wrote: In fact Xorg is still more advanced than whatever windows uses to draw graphics to the screen, and yet there is already a movement towards something even more advanced: Wayland. When it comes to the quality of the desktop, windows was alway behind and I doubt that will change in the near future.
I just read that Xorg doesn't have support for screen/session locking, therefore all screen locks are using some kind of "hack" to achieve the "appearance" of a locked screen, which locking process, if crashed, simply drops you back to the logged in user's desktop :/
References:
https://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/toolkits.html
http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/20...be-secure/
I am working on an Arch installation in a VM that will be moved to an USB stick.
Hello,

I like to say this: is windows an all purpose OS? The answer is not an yes or not answer, it is a little more complicated than that. It all ends up in where you do set the cursor. I mean it all depends on the way you look at things. Let me explain explain:

If you talk only about personal computers, than you can use your PC for pretty much every thing. You are an architect? You'll find windows compatibles softwares for your PC use. Are you a musician/DJ? you'll find softwares to do that in windows. You are a gamer? all games are available and ready to work out of the box in windows. Are you a movie maker? guess what? you'll find softwares in windows to do that.
So in this way, yes, what ever is your use of your windows PC, you can do it.
In linux in the other hand, according to what you want to do with your computer, stay away from linux might be a good idea. When i said the previous sentence i had in mind some professional uses. If your are an accounting, you can professionally use some linux PC, if your do industrial design, probably not.

Now if you look at the over all picture, including cars software, mobile phone, tablets, internet of things, than windows it is not working on this things. If you look at the real big picture, then windows is just a PC os and not an all purposes.

But it still having his, what? 90% market share in the PC market? But in the over all market, PCs are loosing shares. I know some young people out there who have a PC but can spend weeks (plural) without powering it up. They use theirs mobile device for internet, a tablet for movies and stuff, a play station (or any brand) for games, and the PC they use it time to time for games they don't find in a game console. So PC will be, sooner or later, a thing of the past.

The fact PC are loosing overall market shares made microsoft change his strategy. They know they are good at PC, but they know they are bad at many others things. So they gave up on browser to fork chromium, they use linux in azure sphere, you name it. I guess what they are trying to do is to turn their self as some red hat entreprise linux. Because at the end of the day it is what they already do with office 360. I guess they trying to use their well known name to sell services, maintenance and all sorts of subscriptions in stead of selling peaces of software.
But don't quote me on that one Smile

so let me rephrase this: windows it is an all purposes PC-OS, but totally useless out of the PC world.
Can we all be friends now? Tongue
What on earth happened to this thread?
Well, what happened is that Elias stated that he removed the Windows OS from his old computer and installed a Linux OS, and he was amazed at how much faster it was than even his wife's new laptop running Windows.

Quote:Has windows really gotten that bad? That an antique computer runs faster with an up to date Linux OS, than a new computer running windows 10? Really!?

For those interested,
The Laptop has 12GB ram, 6 cores and 1.5TB hard drive, and a 64GB M2 SSD (System & Page Files)
The old BOX has 2GB, 2 cores and (Now) a 3TB hard drive.
the Laptop should be running circles around the old BOX.

Yet another reason to Love Linux.

It seems to have ruffled some feathers.

Richard
(08-22-2019, 11:25 AM)p-murphy Wrote: What on earth happened to this thread?

"We didn't star the flame war Peeps were hatin' on it ‘fore I left my comment"

The internet happened Smile
I am working on an Arch installation in a VM that will be moved to an USB stick.
"Why in the computer's most dustiest fan blade does so many in the Linux community think Linux is the best thing since sliced bread?" Uhh... That's easy, 'cause it is!

"Linux can only be turned into an all-purpose OS by hard core Linux fanatics" Bullshit. My Mom runs Linux and she does a hell of a lot more with Linux than she ever did with Windows. Oh, and that's not because I stood over her shoulder and told her every little thing to do. She figured it out without me, thank you.

Look, I've worked with thousands of people who dumped Windows for Linux and very, very few of them have ever gone back. As far as I'm concerned, Linux is the ALL PURPOSE OS. It runs just about everything in the world. Meanwhile, Windows keeps getting less and less viable for more and more people who are concerned about privacy, economy and reliability. Windows is entrenched old technology and that's the only reason it's still in use and also that's why so many software developers are still invested in it. MS may come around and clean it up but I don't see that happeneing... Linux will continue to eat at Windows user base and as it does more and more software developers and hardware OEMs will support it. That's how it's gone for the last ten years and the pace of Linux adoption is accelerating.

Calll me a fnatic if it makes you feel better but I've been on this journey far too long to even entertain the thought that Windows is somehow in any way, shape or form "better" than Linux. It just keeps getting worse while Linux keeps getting better...
-- Your Fearless Leader!