Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is a CD drive still needed?
I have an old computer that has a couple of old cd drives in it. I am making this my project Linux computer. 
  • Going to add more Ram
  • upgrade the CPU
  • maybe the motherboard in the future
  • add another fan
  • another hard drive or two for media files
I am going to try and make this my main family computer for the kid's homework and stuff. I want everyone's opinion on what they think of CD Drives are they still practical? Should I leave the CD drive in just in case? Should I replace it with a fan system?

I am looking at something along these lines
https://www.ebay.com/i/382351730349?chn=ps

I pretty much know what way I want to go with it. Just thought this may make a good discussion and who knows maybe someone will change my mind.
It really depends on the usage of the system (like old school gaming), however in general I leave them in as it doesn't hurt to have one.

In new systems most people don't need one and I would say an external USB DVD drive is good enough for those rare times.  However other people still heavily rely on optical media.

Also, for general discussion on this, some people still watch movies on their systems or want to burn movies into their media rig for Plex or Kodi type applications.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer
I actually miss having an optical drive in my main laptop.

I mainly use it to rip audio CDs to flac files (I buy CDs because I like a physical music library but having the files digital is more convenient).

But sometimes I have to fix old computers for friends that can not boot of a USB device.
In those cases I rely on first burning and than booting of actual live CDs.
My website - My git repos

"Things are only impossible until they’re not." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
CD drives are long gone...you cant burn a Mint ISO to a CD...anyway a CD drive wouldn't be able to read a DVD.

Both my Laptop and Desktop have an optical DVD drive which I use...I sometimes create a Bootable Flash Drive as it's handy to have both.
Linux Forever...Windoze Never
The unit you are looking at to add more drives in a 5.25" bay is by far not the best place for a spinning drive, fan or no fan! Any bay that is inside the housing will almost certainly have more air flow to cool the drive. If you are only going to use the 5.25" bay for SSDs then I would consider a hot swap bay. More versatility and since SSDs are not prone to generate as much heat as spinning drives there is no need for fans.

That said, I like my optical drive. When I build a machine for folks I include a DVD reader/writer because they are affordable and they give you another way to access data. Music CDs, Video DVDs, Bootable ISOs.
JT
No a cd drive is not required anymore but you already have it so I would leave it in you can listen to music cds on it if nothing else.
I am going to remove the cd/DVD drive I have on the computer that I am using. Replacing it with some SSD drives once I get them. I just ordered 8 gigs of RAM to replace the 2 gigs that it is in it.

Next, I will be, possibly, looking at upgrading the processor, sound card and video card.
It's not needed but couldn't hurt. You are better off with a DVD writer which can play and burn CDs because it can play and burn both.
Switched from Windows to Linux on 9/2015. I use MX-17.1 Linux.
personally, I've still preferred those Optical Drives, to my usb stick(s),
and whilst they do both work okay - I've got that preference.
using an Levono Laptop with LM19 Tongue
(09-08-2018, 02:44 AM)Mdmartiny Wrote: I am going to remove the cd/DVD drive I have on the computer that I am using. Replacing it with some SSD drives once I get them. I just ordered 8 gigs of RAM to replace the 2 gigs that it is in it.

Next, I will be, possibly,  looking at upgrading the processor, sound card and video card.

Wouldn't it be better to built a new Computer ?

About 5.5 years ago I had a Desktop Computer that was 7 years old...the Motherboard Socket 775 was failing...System was 32bit DDR2 and USB2 ports...could only run 4GB of Ram.

Do I replace it given the fact it's 7yrs old or do I build a new Computer... my choice was easy...new Computer.  What can I salvage from the old Computer...nothing.

New Computer (5yrs ago) is 64bit DDR3 and has USB3 ports...Motherboard Socket 1150 can handle 32GB of Ram...I have 16GB installed and an i5 CPU which is much faster the the old one and even faster running Linux Mint Cinnamon as of two years ago...so maybe it's something to consider...the choice is yours.  Smile
Linux Forever...Windoze Never