Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with Nano
I am trying to do something in Nano and I keep getting this error message:

Code:
Unable to create directory /home/michael/.local/share/nano/: Permission denied
It is required for saving/loading search history or cursor positions.

Press Enter to continue

Can someone explain to me what I am doing wrong?

ok, I figured out that issue. I had to go in under SU and give myself permissions for the folder.

Now I am getting an error telling me that

Could not launch /usr/bin/nano
To open a file in Nano just go to the directory containing the file and open a terminal there then

$ nano filename
or
$ nano path/to/filename
for a new file
$ nano new_filename
(09-02-2018, 02:13 PM)Mdmartiny Wrote: I am trying to do something in Nano and I keep getting this error message:

Code:
Unable to create directory /home/michael/.local/share/nano/: Permission denied
It is required for saving/loading search history or cursor positions.

Press Enter to continue

Can someone explain to me what I am doing wrong?

ok, I figured out that issue. I had to go in under SU and give myself permissions for the folder.

Now I am getting an error telling me that

Could not launch /usr/bin/nano

Thats is a pretty weird issue...Normaly programs lanuched by you should always have the permission to create a directory or file, especially in '.local'.

Was there any other incident regarding permissions before?
Something like this could seriously mess up a system but will not happen without a cause of some kind...

What exactly did you do to 'fix' the permissions? Is that directory even owned by your user?
Did you use 'chown' or 'chmod' ?
Well, there are two options. One, you somehow removed or otherwise broke the binary (hence /bin), or two, the alias got messed up. Depending on your result when trying to run /usr/bin/nano .bashrc (couldn't think of any other example that I know works and that is on Ubuntu as well as Antergos off of the top of my head), it could be either. If it opens the file, then it's the second scenario, but if it doesn't, then it's the first scenario.

Good luck and have a nice day!
Name: Sandy Vujaković
Laptop: Dell Inspiron 3793 (17", i5)