Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Fedora GNU/Linux
Information 
Hello everybody,

I'm a contributor to the Fedora Project. I work mainly on: QA for new packages; bug reports; translation and reviewing; support on IRC, reddit and other forums; installation and initial configuration for new users.
Although I'm not a core developer nor a maintainer, I know my way around the system well enough to provide basic to intermediate support from time to time.

Fedora isn't the best distro for new users unless they have someone with more experience to ask questions. After the installation and initial setup, Fedora is really easy to maintain. I've been supporting quite a few installs for a couple of years now, and so far I've only intervened installing some obscure applications and updating from one version to another.

If I can be of assistance to anyone who wants to try Fedora, don't hesitate to leave a message or send me a PM.

Alejandro
Your involved in the Fedora Project is very cool. I am thankful that distro is the test bed for RHEL/CentOS. That way software and ideas may be tested before going into those ultra stable environments.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer
(08-17-2018, 07:51 PM)cleverwise Wrote: Your involved in the Fedora Project is very cool.  I am thankful that distro is the test bed for RHEL/CentOS.  That way software and ideas may be tested before going into those ultra stable environments.

Thanks!
There are a lot of great people working on it, so I'm proud of being able to help whenever I can.
Well in the next version of CentOS typing in dnf is going to take some getting use to as muscle memory will want to type yum. Big Grin
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer
(08-17-2018, 08:10 PM)cleverwise Wrote: Well in the next version of CentOS typing in dnf is going to take some getting use to as muscle memory will want to type yum. Big Grin

I know what you mean. I used 'alias yum="dnf" ' for the first couple of months after dnf replaced yum. Same thing happened with ss and ip instead of netstat and ifconfig.
Oh man I don't even want to start with ifconfig being removed. Some things are just way to painful to leave behind.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

(08-17-2018, 07:02 PM)alejandro Wrote: Hello everybody,

I'm a contributor to the Fedora Project. I work mainly on: QA for new packages; bug reports; translation and reviewing; support on IRC, reddit and other forums; installation and initial configuration for new users.
Although I'm not a core developer nor a maintainer, I know my way around the system well enough to provide basic to intermediate support from time to time.

Fedora isn't the best distro for new users unless they have someone with more experience to ask questions. After the installation and initial setup, Fedora is really easy to maintain. I've been supporting quite a few installs for a couple of years now, and so far I've only intervened installing some obscure applications and updating from one version to another.

If I can be of assistance to anyone who wants to try Fedora, don't hesitate to leave a message or send me a PM.

Alejandro

Hi. Good to know and nice to meet you. I am using Arcolinux right now. Will test out fedora very soon. I hope. Cheers.
(08-17-2018, 08:46 PM)paywalker Wrote:
(08-17-2018, 07:02 PM)alejandro Wrote: Hello everybody,

Alejandro

Hi. Good to know and nice to meet you. I am using Arcolinux right now. Will test out fedora very soon. I hope. Cheers.

Likewise. I hope you have a great time with Fedora. Good luck!
(08-17-2018, 08:29 PM)cleverwise Wrote: Oh man I don't even want to start with ifconfig being removed.   Some things are just way to painful to leave behind.

I know!
Full disclosure, I learned to use the new tools, but I still install net-tools whenever I setup a new system.
I used to use RedHat Linux when I was a kid in the 90's, and thought it to be a pretty good system. When it was actually shipped on computers in Best Buy. Does Fedora have the same feel as it used to back in those days? Does it still feel good to use, and intuitive for a Windows user? Or has it's ability to be picked up and used by anyone kinda gone up in difficulty?