Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Thoughts On Microsofts Visual Studio Code For Linux
(09-01-2018, 07:19 PM)leon.p Wrote:
(09-01-2018, 06:55 PM)dai-3 Wrote: That's probably fine for you, but I don't know how to programme, and big IDE systems teach you a lot faster.

IDEs aren't designed to teach, but to make programming easier once you know it.
Using an IDE with all its options can make learning programming more confusing in my experience.

For everyone learning programming, I would never recommend using an IDE, especially one with a 'compile' button.
Instead use a texteditor and compile the program yourself.
This helps you understand programming beyond the IDEs abstraction layer,
which is important because only people who truly know what they are doing can do a good job at it.

Once you know what you are doing, there is no problem in switching to an IDE,
but if you only ever learn programming with an IDE, you will only be able to program inside that exact IDE.

One of Linus Torvalds most famous quotes is about how you should only use documentation if you can work without it.
Same is true for IDEs.

Despite, when I was talking about an extendable text editor, I wasn't talking about Gedit, but about something like Kate, Emacs, Vim, etc - I am not a barbarian Smile
to me Linus Torvalds Best quote is

"I like offending people, because I think that people who get offended should be offended."    ― Linus Torvalds

that is a great one.

but then there is this one,

“Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program.”    ― Linus Torvalds

Those are words i live by.
A computer without Microsoft is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.

Telegram @eliasw4u

Messages In This Thread
RE: Your Thoughts On Microsofts Visual Studio Code For Linux - by eliasw4u - 09-05-2018, 01:45 AM