Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Thoughts On Microsofts Visual Studio Code For Linux
Question 
I hate Anything Microsoft! And this has been My long standing position.
I stopped trusting Microsoft at 8.1 and 10 is CLEARLY Spyware/Malware!
That said,

I can not find fault in Visual Studio Code.
In fact, I like it. It REALLY hurts to say that, but it is true.

It is under the MIT license. which basically says in two paragraphs,
that it is free to do with as you will, and to give credit where credit is due.

Yet I still do not trust it.
For Two months now I have been going over the code to try to find a bomb shell.
But nothing, I have not found anything bad. Some script that is kinda dumb, but its functional.
Honestly, this is a fantastic app.

It is like they took all the best parts from Atom, Sublime, And Geany and put it all together.

It is still not in the repo's, and I couldn't find a PPA for it. So the install was from a deb file download.
I had no issues with the install, other than the turmoil in my head.

I feel torn. what are your thoughts on this? Is anyone else using it? If so, How is it working for you?

P.S.
      My position still stands, but maybe with a slight amount of flexibility. On open source projects anyway.
A computer without Microsoft is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.

Telegram @eliasw4u
I wouldn't trust anything from Microsoft no matter what anyone says. Same goes for the N.S.A. (National Spy Agency) which has injected their garbage in the 4.17 Linux kernel.
Switched from Windows to Linux on 9/2015. I use MX-17.1 Linux.
(09-01-2018, 03:07 AM)Mauser Wrote: I wouldn't trust anything from Microsoft no matter what anyone says. Same goes for the N.S.A. (National Spy Agency) which has injected their garbage in the 4.17 Linux kernel.

I don't trust. As i said, still looking for the bomb shell in the code. So far it looks good. still don't trust. But I am using it.

also, I am locked at 4.15 for now. I don't expect that to affect me until the early 20s
And I am not actively using Arch until I find a safe and reliable way to remove the code from the kernel.
And replace it with a encryption that is trustworthy
A computer without Microsoft is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.

Telegram @eliasw4u
Honestly, iv'e only just swapped to Linux from Windows, and had Microsoft Visual Studio Community edition, that I used to do the basics of UNITY-5 tutorials in C#. The IDE is just great compared to others. But Visual Studio Code kinda sucks, at least to me as I am used to the functions of the full-IDE that already has all the SDK's.

I would like to use the VSC on Linux, but C# .net-core is only 30-day from Redhat or Microsoft Key Required (where can I get that?). So I can't practice C# as most tutorials require the .net-core SDK.

So in my limited opinion, Microsoft does not care about VSC as it is just a tempter to get and pay for the bigger package, so VSC is probably fine for security (maybe). C# looks like BASH to me, at least in it's ways of language.

I'm only a beginner though, so don't know it's dangers, but any help would be appreciated in finding a decent free IDE with .net-core SDK for free, not a trial subscription, would be much appreciated. Though I know it most likely won't be as good as MVS-CE. That has built in lessons and web-page resources +++. But would appreciate it, as I have mentioned it in a post connected with a REDSHIFT manual alteration issue iv'e got problems with.
Even if I had nothing against using applications by microsoft, I would still not use it, since it is basically yet another IDE.
I prefer extendable text editors over IDEs.
I've installed VS Code on my newly converted Linux Mint 19 -Cinnamon notebook, but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

I have tried it on a Windows 10 machine.

I wanted to use it to help me with C++, but in order to use the entire functionality of VS Code, it seemed extremely complex, setting up all of the utility files with the JSON code. A steep learning curve for me.

-CodeSchlocker
(09-01-2018, 05:52 PM)leon.p Wrote: Even if I had nothing against using applications by microsoft, I would still not use it, since it is basically yet another IDE.
I prefer extendable text editors over IDEs.

That's probably fine for you, but I don't know how to programme, and big IDE systems teach you a lot faster.  Using Linux Bash, I have already seen that it is going to be a steep curve to figure things out, especially as I would like to create some GUI adaptions/interfaces & their are seemingly very few tutorials on this GUI to BASH programming method with GLADE.

I don't even know if GLADE 3.2.2 is compatible with my Tara Linux Mint Mate version as it says GNOME on Glade 3.2.2.

Linux distros & compatible file issues are unknown to me, such as gedit being GNOME also. And it didn't work with redshift alterations, but did operate in saving and typing etc, just didn't work.  MVS-CE just works, & if I get a cheap netbook or similar that's powerful enough for it, I might just use it for programming in C# and creating forms etc, as I haven't learnt thesae things and i'm getting too old to be learning the flaws of the Linux distros etc.  May be an idea for me to check out True OS, at least it's one distro, maybe it's rubbish, don't know.
(09-01-2018, 06:55 PM)dai-3 Wrote: That's probably fine for you, but I don't know how to programme, and big IDE systems teach you a lot faster.

IDEs aren't designed to teach, but to make programming easier once you know it.
Using an IDE with all its options can make learning programming more confusing in my experience.

For everyone learning programming, I would never recommend using an IDE, especially one with a 'compile' button.
Instead use a texteditor and compile the program yourself.
This helps you understand programming beyond the IDEs abstraction layer,
which is important because only people who truly know what they are doing can do a good job at it.

Once you know what you are doing, there is no problem in switching to an IDE,
but if you only ever learn programming with an IDE, you will only be able to program inside that exact IDE.

One of Linus Torvalds most famous quotes is about how you should only use documentation if you can work without it.
Same is true for IDEs.

Despite, when I was talking about an extendable text editor, I wasn't talking about Gedit, but about something like Kate, Emacs, Vim, etc - I am not a barbarian Smile
(09-01-2018, 07:19 PM)leon.p Wrote:
(09-01-2018, 06:55 PM)dai-3 Wrote: That's probably fine for you, but I don't know how to programme, and big IDE systems teach you a lot faster.

IDEs aren't designed to teach, but to make programming easier once you know it.
Using an IDE with all its options can make learning programming more confusing in my experience.

For everyone learning programming, I would never recommend using an IDE, especially one with a 'compile' button.
Instead use a texteditor and compile the program yourself.
This helps you understand programming beyond the IDEs abstraction layer,
which is important because only people who truly know what they are doing can do a good job at it.

Once you know what you are doing, there is no problem in switching to an IDE,
but if you only ever learn programming with an IDE, you will only be able to program inside that exact IDE.

One of Linus Torvalds most famous quotes is about how you should only use documentation if you can work without it.
Same is true for IDEs.

Despite, when I was talking about an extendable text editor, I wasn't talking about Gedit, but about something like Kate, Emacs, Vim, etc - I am not a barbarian Smile
to me Linus Torvalds Best quote is

"I like offending people, because I think that people who get offended should be offended."    ― Linus Torvalds

that is a great one.

but then there is this one,

“Most good programmers do programming not because they expect to get paid or get adulation by the public, but because it is fun to program.”    ― Linus Torvalds

Those are words i live by.

Telegram @eliasw4u
Honestly, so far, the only fault I can find in anything related to Visual Studio Code is that the PHP extension does not support HTML IntelliSense in .php files.

Well, off to try and force AutoCAD 2007 to install with winehq-devel.
Name: Sandy Vujaković
Laptop: Dell Inspiron 3793 (17", i5)