Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What dumb thing did YOU do today?
I was having a permission problem using dd to make an image of my hard drive onto an external hard drive. I set the permissions of the external drive to read/write for all users with my Ubuntu 16.04 system, but when I boot up into a USB live system, it will not allow me access to the partition on the external drive that I need to copy the image to.

After several hours of this, in a moment of frustration, I changed to the external drive:

cd /richard/media/backup

and typed sudo chmod 666 /. which made every file in the root directory read/write only; nothing in the entire computer was executable.

Talk about dumb. Sometimes I wonder. Thank you Timeshift. I was back in business in just a few minutes.

Richard
Actually, it was last night. Between 9:30 PM and 9:45 PM, I stepped on a bark scorpion and the misbegotten bugger stung my toe. It was not a good night. I'm still in quite a bit of pain now although it has gotten better (better being a relative term).
Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!