Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New user needing Mint advice
Question 
I just watched a 4 year old Joe Collins video Top 5 mistakes new Linux users make. I'm so sick of Microgarbage Windows 10 which in my opinion has more flaws than users. I really want to get started learning with Mint as Joe suggested. However I'm concerned because I just bought 3 weeks ago a new HP Pavilion 8 GB ram 1tb HDD low budget I've had cancer 3 times and 2 surgeries in the last 5 years and am broke. I was wondering what are the odds of crashing this laptop by installing Mint? I cannot afford another or to put a new HDD in my old computer at the moment. So I obviously can't afford to break this one. Unfortunately my kidney cancer is back so I don't see having any money before it kills me this time. I still possibly have 2 years and feel that if your not learning something everyday you are wasting time. I can't find any online work and I'm not physically able to be a carpenter anymore. So any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've had this computer 3 weeks and windows 10 has so many errors all from Microsoft themselves admitting that they are all software or hardware or both related. I'm not bashing them this is what the error codes say on Microsoft forums.  So if I'm going to learn something I want it to be how to never have to use Microsoft again. Thanks Anyone Huh
(03-25-2021, 07:10 AM)1awatchman Wrote: I just watched a 4 year old Joe Collins video Top 5 mistakes new Linux users make. I'm so sick of Microgarbage Windows 10 which in my opinion has more flaws than users. I really want to get started learning with Mint as Joe suggested. However I'm concerned because I just bought 3 weeks ago a new HP Pavilion 8 GB ram 1tb HDD low budget I've had cancer 3 times and 2 surgeries in the last 5 years and am broke. I was wondering what are the odds of crashing this laptop by installing Mint? I cannot afford another or to put a new HDD in my old computer at the moment. So I obviously can't afford to break this one. Unfortunately my kidney cancer is back so I don't see having any money before it kills me this time. I still possibly have 2 years and feel that if your not learning something everyday you are wasting time. I can't find any online work and I'm not physically able to be a carpenter anymore. So any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've had this computer 3 weeks and windows 10 has so many errors all from Microsoft themselves admitting that they are all software or hardware or both related. I'm not bashing them this is what the error codes say on Microsoft forums.  So if I'm going to learn something I want it to be how to never have to use Microsoft again. Thanks Anyone Huh
Well if you are a carpenter, you are a problem solver so installing mint shouldn't be too hard for you. First thing, check Joe's video's look for one that talks about downloading a ISO image to a USB stick. You can then boot off the USB stick into Mint and take it for a test drive on your hardware. I am running Mint 18.3 on some pretty old hardware and it works great, I don't think you will have a problem with it.
(03-25-2021, 10:13 AM)cedarp Wrote:
(03-25-2021, 07:10 AM)1awatchman Wrote: I just watched a 4 year old Joe Collins video Top 5 mistakes new Linux users make. I'm so sick of Microgarbage Windows 10 which in my opinion has more flaws than users. I really want to get started learning with Mint as Joe suggested. However I'm concerned because I just bought 3 weeks ago a new HP Pavilion 8 GB ram 1tb HDD low budget I've had cancer 3 times and 2 surgeries in the last 5 years and am broke. I was wondering what are the odds of crashing this laptop by installing Mint? I cannot afford another or to put a new HDD in my old computer at the moment. So I obviously can't afford to break this one. Unfortunately my kidney cancer is back so I don't see having any money before it kills me this time. I still possibly have 2 years and feel that if your not learning something everyday you are wasting time. I can't find any online work and I'm not physically able to be a carpenter anymore. So any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've had this computer 3 weeks and windows 10 has so many errors all from Microsoft themselves admitting that they are all software or hardware or both related. I'm not bashing them this is what the error codes say on Microsoft forums.  So if I'm going to learn something I want it to be how to never have to use Microsoft again. Thanks Anyone Huh
Well if you are a carpenter, you are a problem solver so installing mint shouldn't be too hard for you. First thing, check Joe's video's look for one that talks about downloading a ISO image to a USB stick. You can then boot off the USB stick into Mint and take it for a test drive on your hardware. I am running Mint 18.3 on some pretty old hardware and it works great, I don't think you will have a problem with it.

(03-25-2021, 10:13 AM)cedarp Thank you very much I will do exactly what you suggested. Have a wonderful day Wrote:
(03-25-2021, 07:10 AM)1awatchman Wrote: I was wondering what are the odds of crashing this laptop by installing Mint?
Test it for yourself without installing. I believe Joe Collins shows the process in one of his videos.  You will need to be able to enter the BIOS menu during the process so ensure you know which key to press. (It varies from one manufacturer to another. Mine is F8.)

In essence the steps to follow are:
[1][Download whatever Mint you fancy.
[2] Burn it to a USB stick using Etcher or Rufus which you also need to download.
[3] Turn off computer.
[4[ Insert USB stick, known as a Live USB for some silly reason.
[5] Start computer and enter BIOS menu as soon as you see the option to do so.
[6] Set the computer to boot from the USB stick.
[7] Sit back and wait for Mint to start, which may take a few minutes and show erratic patterns on screen as it does so.
[8] You should see two icons. Select the Test without installing.
[9] Test all your hardware such as keyboard, mouse, printer, router, etc.
[10] If it all works you decide whether to install or exit.

Installation may be complicated by factors like Windows Fast Start and the UEFI/MBR boot process which others may be able to advise about, but the testing should be straightforward.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon
Your new laptop probably has a facility to create a Windows reinstall DVD or USB.
First, find that and do what it takes to make it to fully recover your existing system.
when you have done that (and are confident it works as expected) you can start trying out new systems.

I am a huge Linux fan and have very little use for any of the Windows tools.
But, sometimes you have no choice.

I have 6 or 7 computers available at ll times. None have Windows installed. BUT I must reinstall sometime soon to update some Hardware.

Second: start figuring out how to backup your personal data Off Machine... like on a USB or something.
keep a current backup!
everything else can be reproduced, but not your Personal Data
If you used to use xp you should try the mate DE and you will have very few problems learning how to use it. Plus big bonus, if you do have a problem someone here can most likely help you out. You may also want to go to a search engine and type in the make and model of you computer and see about others experience with linux on it as in Hp pavilion x5200 linux or linux on Hp pavillion x5200.