Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey; where have you all been? Post something.
I have been experimenting with Arch with the ZFS file system as virtual machines. It seems to be the file system of the future (maybe). There are some advantages. For one: you can create snapshots. They are not an alternative to a system back-up because the snapshots live on the main hard drive, but if you break your system you can bring it back in a flash.
  I am also running a virtual Ubuntu machine with ZFS. There are advantages to Ubuntu as well. Ubuntu makes it easier with automatic snapshots, whereas with Arch you have to set them up with Cron or something else. But then, that's one of the things I like about Arch: you don't get all of that stuff you don't need or use that takes time to load every time you boot up.
  And that newest version of the Gnome desktop. Don't even get me started on that. It's bloated like Windows after Win 2000.
  An even greater advantage with ZFS is the ability to repair a corrupted system. You can set it up easily with a mirror on a second hard drive that is always up to date. You have a mirror image of your Linux system at all times when the inevitable hard drive failure occurs.

Richard
Something (hey, you asked).
Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!
Richard: virtual machines are fun.
have you tried ZFS on bare metal yet?

let us know how that works out for you.
(03-18-2021, 02:20 AM)Richard Wrote: It seems to be the file system of the future (maybe).

I am pretty sure its licensing stands in the way of that.
Quote:I am pretty sure its licensing stands in the way of that.

There has been a good bit of conversation about that for several years.

Ubuntu seems to have either resolved it somehow, or else simply decided to go for it and see what happens. Either way, the ZFS file system has been available as part of the Ubuntu download since 18.04.

With Arch you have to set it up yourself, a process not for the easily discouraged.

The following is from the Arch wiki:

Features of ZFS include: pooled storage (integrated volume management – zpool), Copy-on-write, snapshots, data integrity verification and automatic repair (scrubbing), RAID-Z, a maximum 16 exabyte file size, and a maximum 256 quadrillion zettabyte storage with no limit on number of filesystems (datasets) or files[1]. ZFS is licensed under the Common Development and Distribution License (CDDL).

Described as "The last word in filesystems", ZFS is stable, fast, secure, and future-proof. Being licensed under the CDDL, and thus incompatible with GPL, it is not possible for ZFS to be distributed along with the Linux Kernel. This requirement, however, does not prevent a native Linux kernel module from being developed and distributed by a third party, as is the case with zfsonlinux.org (ZOL).

ZOL is a project funded by the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory to develop a native Linux kernel module for its massive storage requirements and super computers.

Richard
I do not trust out-of-tree drivers. There are basically no guarantees that they'll keep working the next time you do a system update. Would be pretty annoying if an update made my installation unbootable. I am all for tinkering, and there are lots of custom parts to my installation. But all my files stored on a non-standard filesystem, that can't be accessed without non-standard drivers? That is where I draw the line.

It's a bootstrapping problem: Think about what it would take to set up your customized system again, from start to finish, without loading backups. How much effort is involved? Is it future proof? Do the resources you need still exist in a few years? Do you remember all the things you changed?

That is why I prefer my base system to remain fairly standard and keep most of the customizations and modifications and all the non-standard stuff to my user account and my home directory.