Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To Cleverwise on Cent OS
Have you given any thoughts on what you will be switching to with the loss of Cent OS ?
Yes.  IBM sold out the community for sure.

ATM Ubuntu Server.  I have considered Debian but I prefer the ZFS module in Ubuntu Server.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer
Will it be necessary for you to rewrite many of your scripts ?
(12-28-2020, 07:26 PM)spudnuts Wrote: Will it be necessary for you to rewrite many of your scripts ?

Well obviously not website scripts like PHP, Perl, etc but I have many BASH scripts that aid in setting up and maintaining CentOS installs.  Groan.  Those will need some alternation as yum is called and a few other things that are for CentOS.

At least most of the servers I maintain are CentOS 7 and still have four years of support.  So I am not rushed.

I know the CentOS core developer is working on Rocky Linux which promises to be an exact binary match to CentOS.  I did for a moment debate Oracle Linux which is a binary match but Oracle? Oracle? I mean really Oracle?  Nah.

I'll just go through the pain of moving to Ubuntu server over the next few years.  Also core software like my choice of MySQL (Percona) supports Ubuntu.  So from a commercial stand point Ubuntu is a fairly safe choice as everything supports CentOS/RHEL and Ubuntu server.

I was thinking man is WHM/cpanel in for a lot of work.  At least the last time I checked it only ran on CentOS.  All those hosting companies and cPanel face a lot of hours to "fix" this mess.  "Thanks" IBM (Red Hat).
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer
Well to those that care AlmaLinux is now an alternative.  This is backed by the CloudLinux team.  It is being promised that support will go on for years and years with a descent budget for a project of this size.  So now... hmmm...

https://almalinux.org/

There are things to consider.  AlmaLinux is fully binary compatible with CentOS and an easy switch.  So again... hmmm...
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

Well obviously not website scripts like PHP, Perl, etc but I have many BASH scripts that aid in setting up and maintaining CentOS installs. Groan. Those will need some alternation as yum is called and a few other things that are for CentOS.
bad love story in hindi
Noticed in today's Linux news that Red Hat is offering free Individual Developer subscriptions for RHEL which can be used in production for up to 16 systems.

https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/new-year-...cess-rhel/
(01-25-2021, 01:36 PM)Gaz511 Wrote: Noticed in today's Linux news that Red Hat is offering free Individual Developer subscriptions for RHEL which can be used in production for up to 16 systems.

https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/new-year-...cess-rhel/

They should have done this before killing CentOS.  IMO Redhat has lost all credibility.  Who is to say they won't stab people in the back with lowering that number or suddenly charging entities.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)