Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brand new to linux
Hello, my name is Jessica, I have a Chromebook that allows Linux beta, so I have been spending the last few weeks trying to learn Linux and here I am! I found the site through "Beginners Guide to the Bash Terminal" on Joe Collin's Youtube channel. 

I figure it's time I finally figured out what this coding thing is all about. There are so many free programs available, it's amazing!

Hoping to eventually learn data analysis and apply that to drug policy and help decriminalize drugs and promote harm-reduction

I also love cats.

x
Welcome!

This site is a good resource for beginning with Linux.  There are plenty of helpful and knowledgeable people here.

Most of the posts I've seen here are working with distributions based on Ubuntu / Debian or Arch, and not Chrome OS's Linux Beta feature, so you may want to also check out a Chrome OS Linux Beta specific forum if you can't find what you're looking for here.

Some helpful links for beginning with Linux:

(CLI tutorial with embedded terminal)

https://linuxsurvival.com/

(Thread with Bash guide recommendations)

https://www.ezeelinux.com/talk/showthrea...light=BASH

(Another helpful Linux / coding Youtuber)

https://www.youtube.com/c/LearnLinuxtv/videos

Good luck with your Linux journey!

No idea why the site formatted my post with all the weird extra spacing.  Trying to edit it didn't help.

Something up with the site today, or just my luck?  We'll see how this one goes.
Linux is a multiverse. All Linux versions have the Linux kernel at their core, but each version (aka distro) hangs a different assortment of applications and utilities on that Linux kernel and has its own way of doing things.

I did some preliminary research, and it looks like Chromebook Linux beta uses BASH as its CLI (aka "terminal" or "command line interpreter") and has similarities to Ubuntu, so you'll probably find BASH-related content here and elsewhere useful, however if you can find a forum that is specifically Chromebook Linux beta oriented that would also be good.

BASH is powerful and there are various programs available for Linux that will be useful to you such as LibreOffice, but you'll soon find that a lot of the tips and tutorials about coding use Python. Python is popular and there are scads of Python tutorials online. I like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DvywoWv6fI which starts with the Python basics and focuses on text-and-data processing rather than games. You can type python3 in the terminal to see if Python is already installed, and if it is type exit() to go back to BASH. Then type idle to open the Python editor and have a look around if you want to. For now all you really need is BASH, but it's good to know Python is there for when you're ready to add it to your repertoire.

Have fun learning.

(11-21-2020, 03:52 AM)Eurus Wrote: No idea why the site formatted my post with all the weird extra spacing.  Trying to edit it didn't help.

Something up with the site today, or just my luck?  We'll see how this one goes.

I've run into that same problem on this site several times and noticed it in other peoples posts. It seems to be something to do with the system wanting to add a blank line each time you hit the return key and that blank line not showing up until you either hit the Preview button or post the message. Sloppy workaround is to not put a blank line between paragraphs until after you hit the Preview button to see if the system added them.
Welcome to the world of Linux.  It is a vast group but over all fairly friendly.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer
(11-20-2020, 04:35 PM)jess_x Wrote: I figure it's time I finally figured out what this coding thing is all about.

Programming can be a pretty rewarding hobby. Just beware that ChromeOS has a different userland than what is common on desktop Linux, so not everything Linux-related you'll find will apply to your situation. Don't let that discourage you.
(11-21-2020, 03:52 AM)Eurus Wrote: Welcome!

This site is a good resource for beginning with Linux.  There are plenty of helpful and knowledgeable people here.

Most of the posts I've seen here are working with distributions based on Ubuntu / Debian or Arch, and not Chrome OS's Linux Beta feature, so you may want to also check out a Chrome OS Linux Beta specific forum if you can't find what you're looking for here.

Some helpful links for beginning with Linux:

(CLI tutorial with embedded terminal)

https://linuxsurvival.com/

(Thread with Bash guide recommendations)

https://www.ezeelinux.com/talk/showthrea...light=BASH

(Another helpful Linux / coding Youtuber)

https://www.youtube.com/c/LearnLinuxtv/videos

Good luck with your Linux journey!

No idea why the site formatted my post with all the weird extra spacing.  Trying to edit it didn't help.

Erus : Thanks for the reply! I will definitely have to check out a Chromebook Linux beta forum as well  Big Grin

(11-21-2020, 05:15 AM)Skipayear Wrote: Linux is a multiverse. All Linux versions have the Linux kernel at their core, but each version (aka distro) hangs a different assortment of applications and utilities on that Linux kernel and has its own way of doing things.

I did some preliminary research, and it looks like Chromebook Linux beta uses BASH as its CLI (aka "terminal" or "command line interpreter") and has similarities to Ubuntu, so you'll probably find BASH-related content here and elsewhere useful, however if you can find a forum that is specifically Chromebook Linux beta oriented that would also be good.

BASH is powerful and there are various programs available for Linux that will be useful to you such as LibreOffice, but you'll soon find that a lot of the tips and tutorials about coding use Python. Python is popular and there are scads of Python tutorials online. I like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DvywoWv6fI which starts with the Python basics and focuses on text-and-data processing rather than games. You can type python3 in the terminal to see if Python is already installed, and if it is type exit() to go back to BASH. Then type idle to open the Python editor and have a look around if you want to. For now all you really need is BASH, but it's good to know Python is there for when you're ready to add it to your repertoire.

Have fun learning.

(11-21-2020, 03:52 AM)Eurus Wrote: No idea why the site formatted my post with all the weird extra spacing.  Trying to edit it didn't help.

I've run into that same problem on this site several times and noticed it in other peoples posts. It seems to be something to do with the system wanting to add a blank line each time you hit the return key and that blank line not showing up until you either hit the Preview button or post the message. Sloppy workaround is to not put a blank line between paragraphs until after you hit the Preview button to see if the system added them.
SKIPAYEAR: thanks for the extra help! I definitely want to learn Python next, and I'll be sure to check out that link!  Smile

HAHA - please bear with me as I slowly remember how to use these forums..lol I have been replying all over the place..lol

(11-21-2020, 04:43 PM)cleverwise Wrote: Welcome to the world of Linux.  It is a vast group but over all fairly friendly.
Thanks for the welcome, so far so good Big Grin

(11-21-2020, 09:25 PM)leon.p Wrote:
(11-20-2020, 04:35 PM)jess_x Wrote: I figure it's time I finally figured out what this coding thing is all about.

Programming can be a pretty rewarding hobby. Just beware that ChromeOS has a different userland than what is common on desktop Linux, so not everything Linux-related you'll find will apply to your situation. Don't let that discourage you.

I have found it to be really interesting and look forward to becoming a confident user of Linux. I have a desktop computer that I can jump to once I get this laptop figured out.  Cool