Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which barcode scanner to buy?
I want to buy a barcode scanner that is compatible with Ubuntu (meaning drivers and any software it comes with).

I'm going to use it at home to scan the barcodes and, if possible, QR codes on books and products I buy.

If possible I prefer one with no moving parts because the ones where I used to work had a little spinning mirror that seemed to get out of whack a lot. This isn't going to be for heavy use, maybe 20-40 scans per week at most, but I want it to last a long time and I'm willing to pay a high enough price to get that quality and durability.

Any suggestions on which ones to look at or how to research this will be appreciated.
A generic web cam is probably enough. There are multiple programs that can analyze video feeds for bar codes and QR codes and decode them. In the past I have used a program called 'zbarcam' for that (it also works on pictures, which I use in combination with a screenshot program to decode bar codes and QR codes displayed on screen).

(I think the package for zbarcam is called 'zbar-tools' on ubuntu, but I am not sure.)

And if I remember correctly, most USB barcode scanners simply emulate a keyboard and therefore don't need any special software. Same for card readers. Although there are probably some models that do it differently, so always do your research before you buy.
(11-01-2020, 12:15 AM)leon.p Wrote: And if I remember correctly, most USB barcode scanners simply emulate a keyboard and therefore don't need any special software. Same for card readers. Although there are probably some models that do it differently, so always do your research before you buy.

The guns we had in all the places I've worked came with a setup card full of different kinds of bar codes so you could test the scangun and a small program that would recognize the input was actually from the scangun instead of the keyboard and recognize what sort of barcode it was. Sort of like the infamous cuecat, but with a bigger more delicate gun attached. At least that was my understanding of how they worked.

Zbarcam sounds interesting. And it wouldn't cost anything to try it with the camera built into my laptop. It doesn't seem to be in the Ubuntu repos but it is on Sourceforge.

Thank you.