Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Build
(10-10-2020, 09:31 PM)blaird Wrote: Hard to pinpoint the graphic distortion sort of white/red block overlay on the Monitor.

Full stripes (like completely from left to right or top to bottom) or seemingly randomly placed blocks? The former is usually a hardware thing (could even be a faulty cable), the latter one sounds more like a software failure.
Tried Fedora still the same problem with graphics.
I did get Ubuntu 18.04.5 to boot from live usb graphics were fine but on the install went haywire again.

Blaird  Confused
Try using the nomodeset option when you boot up.
When you start to boot into the live dvd hit the tab key and you will see a line of startup options,
use the arrow key to go back to where the options say quiet splash and change it to quiet splash nomodeset then hit the enter key and let it finish starting and see if that helps.
Smile 
Thanks spudnuts will try that
Sad 
Still no Joy.

The install from live usb was perfect.
Soon as it rebooted into the SSD graphics all over the place.
Initially installed it to a 240g m.2 nvme this drive is brand new  but could be faulty.
Tried another install to a Samsung SSD....but it was exactly the same.
Still convinced this is a AMD driver problem.

blaird
Have you tried Ubuntu 20.04? Ubuntu MATE 20.04?

I would want a newer kernel for that card.  Also MESA 17.1 and up has been shown to be stable with RX580.

Try open source drivers first.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer
Thanks cleverwise will try that
Blaird
(10-12-2020, 06:57 PM)blaird Wrote: Still no Joy.

The install from live usb was perfect.
Soon as it rebooted into the SSD graphics all over the place.
Initially installed it to a 240g m.2 nvme this drive is brand new  but could be faulty.
Tried another install to a Samsung SSD....but it was exactly the same.
Still convinced this is a AMD driver problem.

blaird
Can I take it that nomodeset worked for install and on reboot you had problems again?
If so try useing nomodeset when you reboot untill you do the first update and see if that fixes it or if it does not fix it and you still want to go with the install use these instructions to make it use nomodeset all the time:

[b]add nomodeset to the kernel options in /etc/default/grub[/b]
[b]GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"[/b]
[b]It's still a 'per session' setting until you run update-grub (sudo update-grub2) to make it take effect on each boot.

[/b]Oh and one more thing do a memory test, I just finished working on a computer that was recognizing the memory just fine but as most default to fastboot they skip memory tests and that was what was messing up files as they were copied to the harddrive, with different memory it worked fine.
Good news I think we have cracked it.
I had Linuxlite 5 on a SSD.
I upgraded to the latest kernel which was 5.9.0. then added nomodeset with nano.
Graphics are perfect  Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

Many thanks
Blaird
Well, yesterday I just completed another new build.
 After all the trouble I had with the Ryzen build with Linux I decided on a Intel I7 9700k.
 The install of MX 19 was super fast and flawless.
 So...The Ryzen 7 machine will stay on Win 10 Pro which is running very well and I will use the new Intel build solely for Linux.

I can run Linux again.......Very happy.  Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

blaird