Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Common Mistakes Should We Warn Newbies About?
We've all made newbie mistakes while learning Linux. While many mistakes are annoying but harmless, some can cause irreversible harm or mess something up in a way you won't notice until something mysteriously stops working.

What is your list of the most important or most common mistakes newbie Linux users should be warned about?

I'll start with chmod and chown. Using either of those with a wildcard or in recursive mode or without understanding that the "execute" permission has a special meaning when applied to directories can get you in a whole lot of trouble. Here is a real-life example: https://askubuntu.com/questions/970317/a...-chmod-600 

And I once locked myself out of an important directory by mistakenly changing its permissions to 600 when I should have said 700.

So the lesson is: Beginners should set up a dummy installation of Linux on an old/spare computer (as Fearless Leader always suggests) and use that for practicing/testing anything that isn't absolutely familiar.

Please add your own "Don't do this" suggestions to this list. Thanks.
Don't assume the way you currently do things is the best way. It might not even be a good way at all. If you are willing to learn and try out things you do not know yet, you might find something new you prefer. (This applies to users of every experience level).