Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Definition of Linux
(10-24-2020, 12:13 AM)mexsudo Wrote:
(08-01-2020, 02:38 AM)Skipayear Wrote: It's also worth mentioning that one of the most overlooked computer skills is probably touch typing. The faster you can type, with 100% accuracy and without taking your eyes off the computer screen, the more productive you'll be whether you're writing code, doing data entry, or writing emails to your friends.
unfortunately some of us never gained those motor skills and muscle memory. I truly envy you.

Touch typing is easy to learn. Just download Ktouch from your OS's repos and hack away at the keyboard for a few minutes a day until the finger-key connections get firmly implanted in your subconscious. I'm 71 and I'm re-learning how to touch type because I just switched from QWERTY to the Dvorak keyboard layout. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_keyboard_layout

I recommend Ktouch because:
  • it's simple and free
  • It's been around long enough to be dependable
  • The screen shows you the letter you just hit, the one you should hit next, and a picture of the keyboard so you won't be tempted to look away from the screen
  • In addition to the usual key-by-key finger exercises it lets you create custom practice lessons by typing in whatever text you want to use or by cutting and pasting the text you want to use from any text document.
I'll also mention that if all you ever learn is how to touch type the 100 most common English words (listed in this article: https://www.rypeapp.com/most-common-english-words/ ) and the 50-100 computer words you use most often, that skill by itself will give you a big boost in typing speed. (Learning a new skill is also improves the strength and health of your physical brain, and at our age we both need that  Rolleyes )
thanks anyway, I don't want to put the effort into it
I have more important things on my agenda.
(10-24-2020, 08:49 PM)Skipayear Wrote: ...Touch typing is easy to learn...(Learning a new skill is also improves the strength and health of your physical brain, and at our age we both need that  Rolleyes )

My head hurts from the eye roll this post induced. I'm sick and tired of people thinking (erroneously) that anybody can learn anything, especially if they try hard enough (even worse are the ones who say, when someone was unable to learn something, it was because they didn't try hard enough). Abilities vary from person to person, often very wildly. What may be easy for you may not be easy for someone else, especially when one or more learning disabilities are involved.
Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!
(10-24-2020, 09:52 PM)Lady Fitzgerald Wrote: My head hurts from the eye roll this post induced. I'm sick and tired of people thinking (erroneously) that anybody can learn anything, especially if they try hard enough (even worse are the ones who say, when someone was unable to learn something, it was because they didn't try hard enough). Abilities vary from person to person, often very wildly. What may be easy for you may not be easy for someone else, especially when one or more learning disabilities are involved.

I'm very much aware that abilities vary and that some people have a much harder time acquiring certain skills than other people do. But touch typing is nothing more than memorizing a specific set of finger motions by repeating them over and over in set patterns. Fearless leader says flat out that he can't talk and type at the same time, and I'm the same way. I can't even type while someone else is talking nearby unless I put a major effort into it.

Besides that, "easy" and "hard" are relative terms. "Easy" means something is easier for the average person to learn in an average amount of time with an average amount of effort than most other skills would be. So don't read anything more than that into it.

Because touch typing is a rote memorization skill it's easy for most people to learn, if they really want to learn it and if they have a good typing tutor program. But for some people learning rote memorization skills is very hard, and for some people developing the physical dexterity to type fast simply isn't possible. That's a fact of life, and for those people learning how to type faster may not be worth the effort. But for most people, engaging in systematic typing practice using a touch typing method will significantly improve their speed and accuracy with a minimal amount of effort. That's why I said it's easy to learn.
Pigeons next to a keyboard with bird seed spread across the keys seems to work well for me. 

Big Grin 

Geez people lighten up.
Idea Give a person a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a person how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️ Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.  (Linux Mint 19 XFCE)
(11-12-2020, 04:15 AM)deck_luck Wrote: Geez people lighten up.

We each expressed our point of view once, and since then the thread has been totally silent for 17 days. It doesn't get much lighter than that unless you expect there to never be any disagreements at all. Cool
Take time to laugh a little, it will make you feel better. Big Grin
Idea Give a person a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a person how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️ Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.  (Linux Mint 19 XFCE)
(11-12-2020, 04:15 AM)deck_luck Wrote: Pigeons next to a keyboard with bird seed spread across the keys seems to work well for me. 

Big Grin 

Geez people lighten up.

Methinks that pigeon would type faster and more accurately than me.  Big Grin
Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!
Quote:Touch typing is easy to learn. Just download Ktouch from your OS's repos
Sounds good, but I go to the KDE page and click on the downloads and nothing happens. The Ubuntu repo doesn't appear to know it exists.

Richard
(11-13-2020, 12:07 AM)Richard Wrote:
Quote:Touch typing is easy to learn. Just download Ktouch from your OS's repos
Sounds good, but I go to the KDE page and click on the downloads and nothing happens. The Ubuntu repo doesn't appear to know it exists.

Hmmm... That's odd.

I'm using plain Ubuntu 20.04. I click the Ubuntu Software icon (orange shopping bag with a white A on it) to get to the repo. I then click the magnifying glass in the upper-left corner to get a search box and type in "ktouch" which gives me this:
.png   Screenshot from 2020-11-13 02-42-01.png (Size: 17.25 KB / Downloads: 7)
and this info:
.png   Screenshot from 2020-11-13 02-42-57.png (Size: 54.41 KB / Downloads: 6)