Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Definition of Linux
(07-31-2020, 10:21 PM)deck_luck Wrote: Forums are good for resolving problems, but they are not ideal for learning very basic Linux skills. If you need basic linux user skills, you should consider alternatives instead of attempting to pick up small random pieces from a forum.    

The problem with learning basic Linux skills from tutorials and books is the very abundance of such resources. Which are trustworthy? Which aren't worth your time? Which are focused on the specific things you need to know as a new user and won't wander off into subjects you don't need yet? A total newbie has no real way of knowing where to start. For that reason, often the best question a newbie can ask on a forum is simply "what free resources are most useful for a total beginner?" The answers received for that question will eliminate a lot of chaff and get newbies pointed in the right direction, as your list does.

On the subject of certifications: IMO it's best for newbies to stick to free resources and highly recommended books/courses in the beginning, even if they intend to become a certified professional later. The reason is simple: If you learn as much as you can from free and reasonably-priced resources first, you'll have a much better understanding of which certifications will really help your career and any certification classes you take later will expand and hone the skills you've already acquired instead of you trying to learn everything in a rush.

It's also worth mentioning that one of the most overlooked computer skills is probably touch typing. The faster you can type, with 100% accuracy and without taking your eyes off the computer screen, the more productive you'll be whether you're writing code, doing data entry, or writing emails to your friends.
Hi there,

I never do, but sometimes i really feel like giving some people a RTBMM sometimes. Standing for: read the bloody manual mate! in pretty British English. Let me explain why:

Do you know how many question i need to ask? pretty much one every one or two years. Why is that? because i use a tool called "google search engine" and with it i find 99% of the answers i looking for.

Once someone in some forum asked about an issue this person had in manjaro. I never used manjaro my self, i had no idea what the solution to that problem was, but i just asked it to "google search engine" and within the first link there was the answer found in less than a minute.
Do you know what i did next? i answered as politely as i could and said i didn't knew the answer, found it through search engine in manjaro forum and gave the link into the answer. Problem solved!

What i found hilarious is that person to save a minute of searching in the web, waited a full day to get the answer given by someone (me) who exactly simply spent a minute searching in the web. Rather ironic isn't it?
Somehow this person was handling a metaphorical baseball bat to me to hit him in the head with it. Good for this person i am a nice lad my self. If this person was less lucky he/she could get hit in the head with that metaphorical baseball bat he was handling.

In fact, it is my believe that some newbies think computers are too hard for common people. But the truth is computers are not as hard as they appear to be. You don't need to be a professional living in a terminal to solve 99% of your linux issues.
Please, search in the internet the solution, if you don't understand what you found, or if you doubting about it, ask in forums <<i am having this issue, i found this solution on line but i am not sure about this part>>. That is a pleasant question to answer. First because people have an idea of what you know and what you don't. Second because i can tell by reading the question if i can help or not. Because, i have not an infinite knowledge and it is a wast of both, the asking one and the answering one, time. Last reason and not the least i might learn something in the process. Yes, no one has an infinite amount of knowledge, so we can learn through it instead of wasting my time searching for a minute in "google search engine" for someone who is too lazy to do it his self.

As a conclusion: as much as i do not endorse people who just RTBMM you, please, do your self a favor: do not handle metaphorical baseball bats to people. Or if you do, do not be surprise if people use them to hit you in the head.

Thanks for reading.
(08-13-2020, 02:42 PM)Tuxinho Wrote: Do you know how many question i need to ask? pretty much one every one or two years. Why is that? because i use a tool called "google search engine"  and with it i find 99% of the answers i looking for.
That's fair enough, but search engines will spew endless replies that may or may not be relevant, up to date, or accurate. One needs enough basic knowledge to discriminate between the useful and the useless answers.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon
This is why i added at the almost at the end of my previous message:
Quote:Please, search in the internet the solution, if you don't understand what you found, or if you doubting about it, ask in forums <<i am having this issue, i found this solution on line but i am not sure about this part>>. That is a pleasant question to answer.

Also if you don't find the answer in the first 5 (*) try to reformulate your search. And if this is not helping, forum are here for that. But at least show what you searched for, what you found and why is it not the answer.

But asking something i can find my self in less than 5 minutes, is literally abusing of kind people time.

(*)in google because DDG needs much more due to is poor search engine.
(08-14-2020, 06:43 AM)Tuxinho Wrote: This is why i added at the almost at the end of my previous message:
Quote:Please, search in the internet the solution, if you don't understand what you found, or if you doubting about it, ask in forums <<i am having this issue, i found this solution on line but i am not sure about this part>>. That is a pleasant question to answer.

Also if you don't find the answer in the first 5 (*) try to reformulate your search. And if this is not helping, forum are here for that. But at least show what you searched for, what you found and why is it not the answer.

But asking something i can find my self in less than 5 minutes, is literally abusing of kind people time.

(*)in google because DDG needs much more due to is poor search engine.

Your tiresome, increasing (and definitely not kind) negativity is an example of the toxic negativity that used to plague the Linux community (it still does to a small degree but, at least, it is getting better). I linked this video earlier in this thread but you apparently missed the memo so here it is again; you really need to watch all of it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_7tuL0kbCE
Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!
I did not miss that video. But i suppose you missed some part in my message from 13-08-2020 04:42 PM. I kindly invite you to read it to have the full picture of what i ment. And if you are kind enough to read it you will understand that treating me the way you did is highly unfair.

Have a nice week end.
(08-14-2020, 04:00 PM)Tuxinho Wrote: I did not miss that video. But i suppose you missed some part in my message from 13-08-2020 04:42 PM. I kindly invite you to read it to have the full picture of what i ment. And if you are kind enough to read it you will understand that treating me the way you did is highly unfair.

Have a nice week end.

I had read both of your posts prior to this one and both of those were the ones I was responding to. Just to be fair, after reading your latest post (quoted here), I reread your posts and my opinion of your attitude has changed...for the worse. You apparently were not paying close attention to the video, you didn't watch the entire video, you watched with preconceived opinions, or you just didn't agree with it (or any combination of these).
Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!
I wish i knew what is toxic in my attitude. I explained i kindly helped someone (i refer tot that manjaro person) by telling him how i got the answer by searching the web. i don't know how is that deserving free aggressiveness.

Remember what our fearless leader was saying in the first post about "linux is not a product". He explains that linux is free and requires some personal effort than he adds that no one is obligated to help and, i gonna quote the last paragraph's sentence "Your attitude going in is crucial to your success."
So when someone ask a question, as for instance, "how do we do updates through terminal in ubuntu" and you type that exact phrase in a search engine here is the first answer: https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/upgrade-up...-terminal/
Now lets connect this to that toxic employer/client attitude Joe was describing. They do not show any effort and they demand the solution from you.

As i said, i do not endorse people who are rude, i never do myself, but i can not endorse the toxicity broth by this kind of people who are foolish enough to believe they are victims of toxicity while they demand from you as you are a linux inc emploee paid to solve theirs problems. As Joe says MS or apple sells you a product and you can demand things to people, In linux no one sells you anything, you have no right to demand anything.

You know in this present forum i have an example of someone who was exposing a problem he had. But in his post there was no information at all, just the problem. He was not saying what he tried or what he didn't. I answered and said something like "you not telling what you tried or not so i apology if i am telling you something you already tried, but here is my solution".
That was the good solution and this person didn't even took the time to accept the answer. As they would have down with some random employee from your phone carrier that solve your problem. I am throwing this out there just you can put yourself in someone else shoes.

Here is a story that happened to me: After a year and half using arch as my daily driver, i saw in the archlinux web page ( https://www.archlinux.org/ ) that some package needed manual intervention during update. That happens time to time but it was the first time to a package i use myself. I went to the arch linux forum and said exactly that. And someone answer quoting the message in the main page highlighting the part that says "if you get that error message then do that". Yes, i was a dummy ( I can say that about myself) and i miss read that.
I answered that exactly that i miss read and i apologized to make them waste theirs time, and i also blamed my noobiness that made me panicking. Yes i was silly and i made a dumb question. Nonetheless they answered to me. They diverse a thank you/sorry. It is the absolute least that i can do.

Again i do not support any of this two sides of the same toxic coin. I am not trying to turn the table around, i am just trying to explain that toxic attitude are in both directions. And for the million time i certainly do not support any of this toxic people. The arrogant impolite one answering nor the arrogant noob treating me like a waiter to whom he is sparkling a good tip.
(07-31-2020, 09:37 AM)bulldog Wrote: Well said!!
1.dual booting is a recipe for disaster if you don't have the geek skills to fix it yourself.2.people who don't understand what a proper backup strategy is deserve what they get.3.First,ask if whatever tech you are using does the job to your satisfaction;if not,are you prepared to learn a different tech that will do the job ?If you are not willing to learn,live with it and quit complaining.    Having said all that,I initially played around with various Linux distros,but now I am happy to just let it be,and tend to use my chosen distro out of the box.(Mint 20)I am more interested in doing the job than how it is done.For me,Linux does the job without any annoying invasive features that are impossible to remove or alter.I am refering not only to invasive update proceedures,but also being stuck with a certain set of sofware because it is written for a certain OS,and a certain hardware config.Modern Linux distros will run on almost anything,and do it well.Thanks for all your vids,Joe.
(08-01-2020, 02:38 AM)Skipayear Wrote: <snip>
It's also worth mentioning that one of the most overlooked computer skills is probably touch typing. The faster you can type, with 100% accuracy and without taking your eyes off the computer screen, the more productive you'll be whether you're writing code, doing data entry, or writing emails to your friends.
unfortunately some of us never gained those motor skills and muscle memory. I truly envy you.

Now, as I enter my eighth decade it is kinda late, and remembering the exact command is also more challenging.
to compensate I store a few things on my clipboard, and have created several launcher icons on my panels.

BTW: I always keep a second viable system on each machine, as a backup. IF is see something that I want to try (command or app or bundle) and test it over there, long before I consider using it on my daily driver.
(Debian Stable Mate has been my go to for years...it always works, super easy to configure, and I never fear "updates")

Lastly, my best tester is my wife. She knows it ain't Windows, and does not really care. She just wants to sit down and do something... using the familiar icon launchers for the task. If she is befuddled, I Screwed Up.

Now push that backup key and carry in my friends!