Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible to convert UEFI to Legacy Bios (LM19.3) ?
Wink 
Hi teamĀ [Image: icon_biggrin.gif]

I have my Work Laptop with LM19.3 (with UEFI) that has all my settings, apps and so on (Kernel 5.3.0-62-generic).

Is there any way I can clone it to my other Desktop PC that does not have UEFI support (HP DC7800 USFF) that I use in the bedroom?

I cloned the system using Acronis True Image but it clones it in UEFI Mode, so it does not work on the desktop.

Maybe there is a way to remove the UEFI mode from it and make it boot in Legacy Bios somehow?

Your help would be more than appreciated, thanks!

Riadh T.
If you clone the image, the operating system itself is not the problem, the bootloader is.

You can technically re-install and setup the bootloader, but that is an involved process, so you are probably better off just doing a fresh install.
(07-22-2020, 04:26 PM)leon.p Wrote: If you clone the image, the operating system itself is not the problem, the bootloader is.

You can technically re-install and setup the bootloader, but that is an involved process, so you are probably better off just doing a fresh install.
Thanks for the reply!

Will the bootloader reinstall work normally? As in the Uefi installation there is an efi partition, while on a regular legacy bios thery no such partition?

By the way I used live cd of boot repair but it just reinstalled the grub in the efi partition while what I need is to make is to make it work on a legacy bios machine.

Is that feasible somehow?
Your desktop computer and laptop have different hardware, so the safest thing to do is use a live CD or thumbdrive of Mint 19.3 to do a fresh install of Mint on the desktop machine. That way you'll know you've automatically installed all the right drivers, tweaks, etc for the desktop machine. A fresh install also solves the UEFI bootloader problem.

AFAIK there's no easy way to transfer your custom settings from the laptop to the desktop. I wish there were.
(07-22-2020, 04:41 PM)riadtaihi Wrote: Will the bootloader reinstall work normally?

No. This is somethings you have to do completely manual. In other words, simply not worth it. By the time you would have done all the research to do this, you could have re-installed and re-setup your system multiple times.

(07-22-2020, 05:32 PM)Skipayear Wrote: AFAIK there's no easy way to transfer your custom settings from the laptop to the desktop. I wish there were.

A lot of applications store settings in $XDG_CONFIG_HOME, which is usually set to '~/.config/'. Copying that directory should copy your settings.
I went from a legacy installation on one machine to a UEFI installation on another one by doing a clean install on the UEFI computer, then using Aptik to transfer my programs and settings from the legacy computer to the new UEFI computer. It worked as slick as snot on a wet broom handle. Only one program failed to transfer over and another one transferred over but refused to work (I just uninstalled the nonworking program, then installed both programs separately).
Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!
Thanks for the tipsĀ leon.p and Lady Fitzgerald. I've added them to my CLI toolbox.