Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mint 20, Here Is A Script To add Snap. Which Is Disabled By Default.
Linux Mint 20 forcibly disables and blocks Snap. What??

I want to open by saying that I think Mint is correct in their thought, but wrong in their execution.

Snap, in the way the store is ran could damage the Linux community in a very big way. The gatekeepers would be Canonical, Microsoft, Amazon, and a few other mega companies. Whose only interest is profit with no regard of the customers morals or ethics. They have shown this time and time again.

I believe that once they have a solid hold, and control all the apps we have access to, they will phase out open source and force the people to use proprietary software instead. Bringing about The end of open source as we know it.

At least they will try.

That being said, If Mint 20 tries to prevent you, the end user from being able to install something you want on your own machine, then are they really any better?

Fortunately the solution isn't that difficult. I built a Dialog script that gives the choice back to you. This can add or remove Snap. In case you change your mind.

Here is a screenshot of my old laptop with the script running. (Blue Window)

[Image: Screenshot-from-2020-07-17-20-03-07.png]

Simply click on enable or disable and it does the rest

to get the script, in a terminal enter

Code:
git clone https://gitlab.com/arrowlinux/ar_snap.git

or if you would like to examine it before downloading it, go here

https://gitlab.com/arrowlinux/ar_snap

to run the script, in a terminal enter,

Code:
chmod +x /location/of/ar_snap.sh

# then

sudo /location/of/ar_snap.sh

# it must be ran as root / sudo

There is a pause at the scripts startup because it is checking for root and network up. it usually only takes a second.

also if dialog isn't installed it will install it.

The fight for freedom is never ending but always worth it.

Even if it differs from mine. Your opinions, suggestions, and ideas are always welcome with  me.

hope this helps

Kudos
A computer without Microsoft is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.

Telegram @eliasw4u
Just like any new operating system release, the user should read the real notice before installing a new version of the OS.  Also, the LM20 release notice wisely suggests the user reads the Ubuntu 20.4 release notice. Unfortunately, some misinformation has caused a lot of users to believe Linux Mint 20 will not allow them to use the (Snap Store) snapd.  The Linux Mint 20 release notice for each edition has the following statement:

Snap Store
The Snap Store is disabled in Linux Mint 20. For more information on this or to re-enable it read https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/snap.html

If you have an interest or use case for the Snap Store, I would encourage you to read the link to understand the Linux Mint position. Also, the aforementioned link gives succinct information to install (Snap Store) snapd.
Idea Give a person a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a person how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️ Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
out of the box mint 20 blocks snap from being used.

first off, this is in mint 20

# /etc/apt/preferences.d/nosnap.pref
# not only that, it has this in it

Package: snapd
release a=*
Pin-Priority: -10 

which effectively blocks it from being used

Mint blocks snap. am I wrong?

regardless of what is said, the evidence is clear.
A computer without Microsoft is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.

Telegram @eliasw4u
(07-21-2020, 10:26 PM)eliasw4u Wrote: out of the box mint 20 blocks snap from being used.
first off, this is in mint 20
The release notice clearly states the (Snap Store) snapd is disabled by default, so what is your point?

I have no idea why you made the second statement. Did I state any other version of Linux Mint?

Maybe, I should have done a better job with the context. The original reply was meant to encourage users to read the proper release notices before installing any new version of the OS.  The release notice has vast amount of information.  Clearly, the  disabled (Snap Store) snapd is in the LM 20 release notes, and the additional link provides more Linux Mint Team details.  The problem is many user never read it, and they mistakenly believe Linux Mint cannot support snapd.  Additionally, many users relying on Python 2.x are butt hurt when they install LM20 and find Python 3 instead of Python 2.  If they take time to properly prepare for the new installation, they might have an easier time.  

If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail. 
Idea Give a person a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a person how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️ Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
(07-21-2020, 10:26 PM)eliasw4u Wrote: out of the box mint 20 blocks snap from being used.

Mint blocks snap. am I wrong?
Yes you are wrong. Mint does not block snap. It undoubtedly makes snap harder to get but it does not block it.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon
(07-21-2020, 11:35 PM)deck_luck Wrote: The original reply was meant to encourage users to read the proper release notices before installing any new version of the OS.  The release notice has vast amount of information.  Clearly, the  disabled (Snap Store) snapd is in the LM 20 release notes, and the additional link provides more Linux Mint Team details.  The problem is many user never read it, and they mistakenly believe Linux Mint cannot support snapd.  Additionally, many users relying on Python 2.x are butt hurt when they install LM20 and find Python 3 instead of Python 2.  If they take time to properly prepare for the new installation, they might have an easier time.  

If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail. 
You are correct. I should have thought out my response a little(lot) better.

I myself ( at the time of this post ) am guilty of not reading the release notes.
It has been at least two years since i have read mint release notes.
I don't know about now, but back then they had to many buzz words in them.
Besides, I like to jump in with both feet, figure it out as I go.

(07-21-2020, 11:50 PM)cliffcoggin Wrote: Yes you are wrong. Mint does not block snap. It undoubtedly makes snap harder to get but it does not block it.
to make sure we are on the same page, could you give your definition of "Block" because I am a little confused,  My understanding of a block or blocking it something that makes it harder to get, get around, or get through.
"It undoubtedly makes snap harder to get" isn't that what a block does by definition?

I am not trying to argue here. but i would like to understand.

Also, I am not hating on Mint 20, in fact so far it is fantastic. With only one notable issue(for me). But as I said in the original post, the work-around is quick and easy.
Ubuntu 20.04(Gnome) on the other hand has a long list of issues. IMHO

Which is why I have switched to Mint 20 on all but one of my machines

Respectfully: Elias W

Telegram @eliasw4u