Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux gone political correct
(07-14-2020, 11:44 PM)eliasw4u Wrote: Freedom of speech is either freedom of speech or it isn't. There is no grey area.

On the contrary, there is a huge grey area that moat people call common courtesy.

In any society, especially a diverse one, we all depend on each other for help and cooperation. If I exercise my freedom of speech by calling someone a long string of highly offensive expletives, that person will probably retaliate by ignoring me when I need help. That's instant karma. But to a lesser degree anyone who uses even mildly offensive, uncomfortable, or derogatory terms is turning off people they may someday need to turn to for help or friendship. So the wise course of action is "If it does you no harm, curb thy tongue."

BTW: I don't understand what you meant about Americans calling you a yankee because you're a Canadian. Yankees are Americans who were born north of the Mason-Dixon line, or more specifically people who live in the north-eastern United States (aka New England). So please clarify who you're talking about.  Thanks.
(07-15-2020, 01:49 AM). Skipayear Wrote: On the contrary, there is a huge grey area that moat people call common courtesy.

In any society, especially a diverse one, we all depend on each other for help and cooperation. If I exercise my freedom of speech by calling someone a long string of highly offensive expletives, that person will probably retaliate by ignoring me when I need help. That's instant karma. But to a lesser degree anyone who uses even mildly offensive, uncomfortable, or derogatory terms is turning off people they may someday need to turn to for help or friendship. So the wise course of action is "If it does you no harm, curb thy tongue."

BTW: I don't understand what you meant about Americans calling you a yankee because you're a Canadian. Yankees are Americans who were born north of the Mason-Dixon line, or more specifically people who live in the north-eastern United States (aka New England). So please clarify who you're talking about.  Thanks.
Common courtesy has very little to nothing to do with freedom of speech. I would rather be bullied and trolled than give up my right to free speech. Telling someone what they cant say in a society is very different than telling them what they have to say. that is a very slippery slope and by definition is slavery. It always backfires always ends very badly, and almost always ends in genocide. Rome, China, Russia, Germany. The list is very long. As I said, over and over again. History Is riddled with this same issue. It will not be better this time either.

And as far as Yankee. Mid 80s I lived threw the racism. their word for Canadians was Yankee. I was called it hatefully for years, every single day i was there in the states. Your beliefs on the meaning of that word is slightly overshadowed by my life experience with it. You might want to do a deeper search on its origin my friend.

I can not even believe I am having to defend my statements of what happened when I was young and lived in the states. but even still, I would rather deal with this than loose my ability to speak my mind. which is my point.
I am not offended by the way, my skin is thick.. I just don't understand the logic here.

The answer isn't to govern words,The answer is to pull together instead of pushing apart. There are people right now trying to tear your country apart, divide you. The quickest way to stop this is to set aside petty quarreling and join together. Regardless of skin color, religious beliefs, or place of birth. and simply remove the fangs of these "offensive"words. then even if someone uses them it wont matter, because it will have no affect.

As stated before. If someone says something offensive to me. It roles off of my back because I am stronger than any word (except Gods). This is a stance that the whole world should take. Then the division would end.

Respectfully: Elias W
A computer without Microsoft is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.

Telegram @eliasw4u
(07-15-2020, 03:11 AM)eliasw4u Wrote:
(07-15-2020, 01:49 AM). Skipayear Wrote: BTW: I don't understand what you meant about Americans calling you a yankee because you're a Canadian. Yankees are Americans who were born north of the Mason-Dixon line, or more specifically people who live in the north-eastern United States (aka New England). So please clarify who you're talking about.  Thanks.

And as far as Yankee. Mid 80s I lived threw the racism. their word for Canadians was Yankee. I was called it hatefully for years, every single day i was there in the states. Your beliefs on the meaning of that word is slightly overshadowed by my life experience with it. You might want to do a deeper search on its origin my friend.  I can not even believe I am having to defend my statements of what happened when I was young and lived in the states.

I didn't question your experiences. I just asked for clarification of who called you that or under what circumstances.

I've done an extensive search of dictionaries and webpages and found no reference to Americans calling Canadians Yankees, nor have I ever encountered it in my 70+ years as an American. So your experience baffles me. And I'm quite familiar with the origin of Yankee. Anyone interested can find a good explanation here: https://ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?q=yankee

But discussing the word "Yankee" is pretty far off topic, even in a thread about politically correct language, so let's just forget about it. Your experiences are what they are, and I don't doubt what you're saying is true. But I don't understand why it happened.
(07-15-2020, 05:57 AM)Skipayear Wrote: But discussing the word "Yankee" is pretty far off topic, even in a thread about politically correct language, so let's just forget about it. Your experiences are what they are, and I don't doubt what you're saying is true. But I don't understand why it happened.

At the time I lived in the upper most tip of Texas. I could literally walk to the Oklahoma panhandle in 15 minutes.  It is a ghost town now. But back in the 1980s the mayor and most of the town leaders were actual white supremacist. Although my wife is Mexican, she is very dark skinned, and was often confused with African American. I didn't even touch on what they called her.
To be clear, I am NOT saying all white Americans are racist that would be ridiculous. This was a group of 30 to 40 simple minded people back in the 80s.
When we moved to Iowa in the early 90s this almost completely stopped.

In truth most Americans are super cool. We adore Americans.

what I was trying to get across was that changing the word will have no affect, it is a waist of time. Because there will always be an offensive word.
Instead, address the issue that causes the word to be offensive. Fix that, and the word becomes irrelevant.

And

when is an alleged justice warrior going to take the time to ask us how we feel about this? Because to us, the word means nothing.
From our view, this is just a bunch of people grand standing using our plight to forward their agenda. and that is where the true offense lays. But that conversation is not for here.

I also don't understand why they called me that, but my confusion is for a very different reason.
That being said, I agree, talking about this and Yankee is off topic (though related) I abdicate this issue from within this forum.

As for the topic,
Should they give into "political" pressure? Absolutely not!
But thy did, and there is nothing we can do about it now. So, lets adapt and carry on.

respectfully: Elias W
A computer without Microsoft is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.

Telegram @eliasw4u
(07-15-2020, 07:25 PM)eliasw4u Wrote: At the time I lived in the upper most tip of Texas. I could literally walk to the Oklahoma panhandle in 15 minutes.  It is a ghost town now. But back in the 1980s the mayor and most of the town leaders were actual white supremacist. Although my wife is Mexican, she is very dark skinned, and was often confused with African American. I didn't even touch on what they called her.

I lived in Oklahoma for a long time and have since lived in Texas for a long time. Given the location and circumstances you describe I'm sure it was a totally awful situation. Thank you for explaining.
(07-13-2020, 11:51 AM)Geodude Wrote: I cant believe linux would jump in this debate about raciest wording or whatever you want to call this foolishness
when you give in and change wording like Whitelist, Darklist blacklist etc to me you are just giving in to foolish punks that are parading in the streets trashing our country. my respect for the linux programmers went downhill drastically,, go ahead and bash me if you liker but this is my opinion.
Back to the original post:
I agree.

I too am an American that lives in Mexico, permanent resident for decades.
it is a true pleasure to be free of the Politically Correct madness that infects the other nations.

Sit back and observe.

Do Not Throw Gasoline On The Campfire.