Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Concerned about TimeShift Safety
Timeshift has been recommended many places and been used for a long time by one of my friends, but I'm wary about downloading the version currently in the Ubuntu software repos for two reasons:

1) It's description is in a foreign language (not English) even though it's a description of the English language version.
2) Timeshift has been popular for years, but it only has 18 ratings.

This article https://www.linuxtechi.com/timeshift-bac...ntu-linux/ says Timeshift wasn't available in the default Ubuntu repos unti Ubuntu 20.04, so that might explain the scarcity of ratings, but why does Timeshift seem to be the only software in the repos with a non-English description?

Or am I just being too cautious? Huh
I've been using Timeshift on Linux Mint for years with no problems whatsoever. It's been in the Mint repositories for quite some time. I'm also runnng it on Ubuntu 18.04 and Debian Buster.

For Ubuntu 18.04, it's available as a PPA and can be installed in a terminal with the following commands:
Code:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:teejee2008/ppa
sudo apt update
sudo apt install timeshift

I'm not sure where you found the description in a foreign language but here are links to the project's homepage and github page. On both sites, everything is in English.

https://teejeetech.in/timeshift/
https://github.com/teejee2008/timeshift

In Mint's software manager, it only shows 18 ratings as well. That does seem a little odd, but I've been using it for years and I've been able to successfully restore my systems from kernel updates and errant installations with it.
Rick Romig
"It's never wrong to introduce a child to Linux."
@ludditegeek
Rick's Tech Stuff
GitHub
(07-10-2020, 03:21 AM)rickromig Wrote: I'm not sure where you found the description in a foreign language but here are links to the project's homepage and github page. On both sites, everything is in English.

In Ubuntu 20.04 if you click on the orange shopping bag (Ubuntu Software) and do a search for "Timeshift" the description is in a non-English language. A screenshot of the description is attached.

The "Webpage" button points to the same github url you listed so it must be legit, but that whole non-english description thing seems very strange to me.

Thanks for your help.

Attached Files
.png   Screenshot from 2020-07-10 00-03-33.png (Size: 148.4 KB / Downloads: 8)
It is strange that Ubuntu would give you a non-English description. Could one of you mirrors be in a foreign country?

Generally speaking, software in the repositories is safe to use. I do recommend reading the TeeJeeTech homepage. While timeshift is technically capable of backing up your home partition, it's not recommended because it would overwrite or delete newer files if you did a restore. Also, it would take up a lot of disk space. I usually set it up for 5 daily, 3 weekly, and 2 monthly snapshots plus an on-demand snapshot when I first set it up. With this configuration i only have 11 snapshots at the most and together they take up less than 40 GB. By default Timeshift will put the snapshot directory in the root partition. If you have separate root and home partitions, put it in the home partition or on an external drive.

Joe Collins has a video on using Timeshft (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh08GvrUivc). It's a little old, but setting it up and using it hasn't changed.

As I said, I've been using Timeshift on Mint, Ubuntu, and Debian for serveral years without any problems.

Whatever you decide to do, I hope it works out for you.
Rick Romig
"It's never wrong to introduce a child to Linux."
@ludditegeek
Rick's Tech Stuff
GitHub
Hello,

Don't worry about the language it shows up with. This happens all the time. Specially if your locale is set in any thing but English. Even pieces of software that are hale in English and half in French are common in the linux world. By half/half i mean menus titles in English and inside in French.
Keep in mind that linux, despise of what canonical plan to turn it into, is art and craft, not an billions dollars industry with repos filled up by hundreds of thousands dollars wages engineers as in android.

Also it is not easy to put some package in the repos, you need to pass some checks. As much as i dislike canonical, to be fair, i need to concede them they do a good job keeping track of theirs repos.

Also perhaps timeshift it is not an apt package but some insane snap? Is so that can maybe explain why you have a different language?
Since the "webpage" button on that Ubuntu repos page matches the "Project page" URL listed on https://teejeetech.in/timeshift/ and you gave me the same github URL, I'm convinced it's legitimate.

BTW Google Translate says that description is in Croatian.

Thanks again.

(07-10-2020, 02:52 PM)Tuxinho Wrote: Also perhaps timeshift it is not an apt package but some insane snap? Is so that can maybe explain why you have a different language?

You could be onto something.
OK, I downloaded and installed Timeshift using the CLI and the result is attached. It looks like a normal PPA download and install to me. Not a snap.

Next I clicked on the orange shopping bag (Ubuntu Software) and looked at the Timeshift description. It now shows that Timeshift is installed on my computer and it also has a Remove button as it should.

But the odd thing is, the description is now in English. So maybe you only see it in Croatian if Timeshift isn't already installed on your computer.

Attached Files
.png   Screenshot from 2020-07-10 10-44-15.png (Size: 214.81 KB / Downloads: 6)