Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snap Problem
It seems that every time Snap automatically upgrades Gimp, it then refuses to open. I have to remove it and reinstall it. This time I am unable to remove it. I issue the command:  "sudo snap remove gimp" and I get the following message:

error: cannot perform the following tasks:
- Disconnect gimp:gtk-3-themes from gtk-common-themes:gtk-3-themes (cannot update mount namespace of snap "gimp": cannot update preserved namespace of snap "gimp":
-----
update.go:85: cannot change mount namespace according to change unmount (/var/lib/snapd/hostfs/var/cache/fontconfig /var/cache/fontconfig none bind,ro 0 0): invalid argument
cannot update snap namespace: no such file or directory
-----)

I am tired of Snap packages, but the Gimp in the Ubuntu 16.04 repository is an old version that lacks some important tools that I use.

Richard
What about getting GIMP directly from GIMP, or I believe there is a Flatpak available.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon
I need to get rid of this currently installed snap package first.

Richard
So what's stopping you?
Cliff Coggin
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon
I explained it in my original post. I try to remove it and I get an error message.

Richard
Ah I missed that part. Sorry I can't help with terminal commands.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon
Richard did you happen to try and delete it by leaving snap out of your command line? Also you might be able to remove it by using software center? My software center shows snap programs as snapcraft.io.
Butch Owens
Bonobo System 76
Ubuntu
Butch,

I gave that a try. It is not listed in "Software".

Richard
Richard 
Don't know why it works for me but I have 2 snap programs and when I go to Software and click on magnifying glass the box opens and I type in program name it brings up my program listing. It shows to be installed but if I wanted I could have software remove the program. Hope it works for you! Goodluck!
Butch Owens
Bonobo System 76
Ubuntu
I just did that. It showed Gimp as installed. When I clicked in "remove" it showed this:

"Detailed errors from the package manager follow:

snapd operation finished with error cannot perform the following tasks:
- Disconnect gimp:home from core:home (cannot update mount namespace of snap "gimp": cannot update preserved namespace of snap "gimp":
-----
update.go:85: cannot change mount namespace according to change unmount (/var/lib/snapd/hostfs/var/cache/fontconfig /var/cache/fontconfig none bind,ro 0 0): invalid argument
cannot update snap namespace: no such file or directory
-----)"

Same as before.

Richard