Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] How do we disable "Connectivity-Checking"?
Hi Mint Friends,

As a Mint user, I'm always finding ways to get Linux into the workplace.  I need an os that doesn't "call home" through the network.  Basically, I don't want any process or service using the network, other than what I am aware of. 

Running a WireShark trace on my system, I noticed some outbound traffic to "connectivity-check ubuntu.com".  This is a connectivity check for use with public wifi systems, which I don't ever need or will use at work.

Is it possible to disable this?  Ubuntu seems to have a setting to uncheck in "Privacy", but Mint has no such adjustable setting.

Thank you so much,
-Steve
Which version of Mint are you running? According to
https://www.linuxmint.com/rel_tina_cinna...atsnew.php

A switch to turn it off was added in Mint Cinnamon 19.2.
(06-25-2020, 12:14 PM)Skipayear Wrote: Which version of Mint are you running? According to

I read through the site that the link leads to and all I saw was a list of what can be done now but nothing on how to do it (I also didn't understand most of what was in there). I saw nothing about turning off "connectivity-check ubuntu.com".
Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!
In Mint 19.3, in the menu go to Preferences -> Privacy. There should be a button under "Internet connectivity" for "Check connectivity" that you can switch off.

I think this may be what you were referring to.
(06-25-2020, 04:48 PM)rickromig Wrote: In Mint 19.3, in the menu go to Preferences -> Privacy. There should be a button uner "Internet connectivity" for "Check connectivity" that you can switch off.

I think this may be what you were referring to.

Thank you!
Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!
(06-25-2020, 03:31 PM)Lady Fitzgerald Wrote:
(06-25-2020, 12:14 PM)Skipayear Wrote: Which version of Mint are you running? According to

I read through the site that the link leads to and all I saw was a list of what can be done now but nothing on how to do it (I also didn't understand most of what was in there). I saw nothing about turning off "connectivity-check ubuntu.com".

About 3/4 of the way down under "Other improvements" it says "A new option was added in the Privacy Settings to toggle Internet connectivity checking."

I should have been more specific about where it was.
Thank you all for helping me with this.  Sorry, I forgot to add my Mint version.  I'm still on 19.0. 

I'm still on 19 as its for my audio production suit and can't afford to potentially mess something up upgrading right now.  But, for future systems at work, this is GREAT news!

Thank you so very much,
-Steve