Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need browser recommendation
In the upcoming LM 20 I can't use Chromium which was my favorite browser. So I need another one to replace it. Firefox is not an option because never liked it, never use it
I already use Chrome and the 2nd browser must be compatible with major sites, open source, fast and to use the native gtk theme
Thanks in advance for your answers
You might consider not upgrading to LM 20 for a while. LM 19.3 will be supported until April of 2023 so there shouldn't be a rush to upgrade until a compatible version of Chromium comes out.

That said, I use the Brave Browser for my primary browser and keep Firefox fo my backup browser. I haven't had any compatibility problems with Brave (hint: forget the BAT nonsense; that batty part of Brave is as buggy as a flophouse bed but the rest works just fine). Since Brave is Chromium based, I don't know if it will be compatible with LM 20 at first.
Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!
I found that you can install chromium (even though canonical wants you to use ff) in LM by adding Debian Buster repository.

you can find the method out there : https://linuxmint-user-guide.readthedocs...ian-buster

this method keeps you to use PPA or tho use FF as canonical wants for some reason. Yes, i am not buying the "it is for simplicity is only one package for 3 version of the distro, the 2 LTS and the short term release". I am not buying because if it really was the case, they would apply the same treatment to firefox, and obviously they don't. So the simplicity argument is obviously some canonical lie.

Otherwise you can drop LM and ubuntu and jump to some other distro.

i hope it is helpfull.
Hello. I use Vivaldi. I thinks its the best one I have used. It even has a built in notes. It is really thought out very nicely and can be set up to your personal liking.
Butch Owens
Bonobo System 76
Ubuntu
Another one for Vivaldi
Cliqz, best all around browser with Duckduckgo installed,
if you want to download a youtube video just click the tab, great browser

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 4E0C443A
         :echo deb http://repository.cliqz.com/dist/debian-release stable main | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/cliqz.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install cliq Big Grin