Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
net usershare add: share name is already a valid system user name
I resized a 4TB USB drive and now I get this error: "net usershare add: share name is already a valid system user namewhen I try to share it to my network. The sub folders are shared and do show up which I don't quite understand. When I try to open the drive it says operation permitted by root only even though I am the owner. Not real sure I'm explaining very well but can someone maybe tell me what the deal is? SOLVED
not sure of the net error but my guess is you used 'gparted' which creates partitions as root. Then you have to chown and chgrp to get things working. Or use NEMO file manager and it lets you change it in a GUI. An easier way to avoid that mess is to use the 'Disks' utility ; it creates folders etc. as your user. Hope that steers you in the right direction.
Dos 3.2 to Win 10.
Main - Cinnamon 19.2
   Resistance Is Not Futile!
       It's voltage divided by current
(05-19-2020, 03:28 AM)rick forges Wrote: not sure of the net error but my guess is you used 'gparted' which creates partitions as root. Then you have to chown and chgrp to get things working. Or  use NEMO file manager and it lets you change it in a GUI. An easier way to avoid that mess is to use the 'Disks' utility ; it creates folders etc. as your user. Hope that steers you in the right direction.
Thanks a heap!
Solved