Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ubuntu 20.04 - how to back up onto external drive
I am trying to use GNOME Disks to create a disk image of an (unmounted) NVMe drive that contains my /, /boot, and EFI partitions onto my 4.0TB external drive, like I did before in Debian 10. It does not seem to let me do that, however. I booted the live USB and made sure said disk was unmounted before I tried anything. All I got for my trouble is a "permission denied" message.

I have seen many YouTube videos that teach you how to backup your home directory, but the reason I want to backup my NVMe drive is that all the dependencies for the programs I use are stored on that drive, and that it is a pain to have to re-download them again. I didn't have this problem with D10, but I have this problem now.

Attached Files
.png   permission-denied.png (Size: 21.93 KB / Downloads: 5)
I really don't like GNOME Disks. It often reports erroneous data, and there is no bug reporting or bug tracking facility (Gnome has none available to the public)

I use Gparted. Simple and trustworthy.
Gparted is included on your Linux Mint and Ubuntu install USB/DVD
Boot with that, plug in your external USB device, run Gparted
(Gparted will Not allow edit or copy of a Mounted partition)

simple: go to the drive needed, select the partition you want, Copy ... then go the the destination drive, select a free space that is big enough, then Paste
Pretty intuitive.
I archive my / and /home and swap partitions regularly.

PS: you were able to copy an active partition using GNOME Disks on Debian? WOW!!!
I just looked, my Debian Mate does not have GNOME Disks installed, it must have come bundled with some other desktop or you installed it yourself.
I wanted to try and see what I got, but I don't have GD on this machine... and I don't want to install it.

It is a Really Bad Practice to copy a Mounted partition, the files in that active partition could easily change during the copy process and make a real mess.
Your backup could be unusable if you try to restore it.
Hello mexsudo,
I have copied the /boot and EFI partitions onto the drive, but I am still trying to figure out a way to copy the / partition over. Right-click and Copy does not work; the option is ghosted, but I think that is because I am trying to copy an encrypted partition. I think the way to do this is by right-click > Open Encryption. But gparted does not recognize my 33-character passphrase, even though I used the same passphrase to log into my system properly. The partition is still unmounted before I attempted this.

Attached Files
.png   drive-layout.png (Size: 44.79 KB / Downloads: 2)
.png   decryption-failed.png (Size: 15.66 KB / Downloads: 2)
(05-07-2020, 11:42 AM)GMP79 Wrote: Hello mexsudo,
I have copied the /boot and EFI partitions onto the drive, but I am still trying to figure out a way to copy the / partition over. Right-click and Copy does not work; the option is ghosted, but I think that is because I am trying to copy an encrypted partition. I think the way to do this is by right-click > Open Encryption. But gparted does not recognize my 33-character passphrase, even though I used the same passphrase to log into my system properly. The partition is still unmounted before I attempted this.
I didn't note that you had encrypted it.

It seems that the encryption is working exactly as intended.