Poll: 20.04 Hit or Miss?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Hit
71.43%
5 71.43%
Miss
28.57%
2 28.57%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
20.04 Hit Or Miss?
(04-29-2020, 01:46 AM)Richard Wrote: One good way to avoid all of that is to use Xubuntu. The XFCE desktop is simpler, and you design your own dock.

Richard
I agree. for many years XFCE was my only choice. and it is still a very good one. I have stepped away from it for a minute to play with other DEs. but I am really liking Gnome, for now. and ya, one of the best things about XFCE it is that it is still very modular. you build it to your liking.

great advice

kudos

(04-29-2020, 04:58 AM)Eurus Wrote: It's too bad they didn't add a GUI menu feature to toggle the setting on or off.  I know back in 16.04 with Unity, one can also right click the connected device's icon in the dock and select "Unlock from Launcher" to remove the icon from the dock without ejecting the device.  But that was Unity, and it would still be a pain to perform that every boot with lots of devices.  Still, if Gnome offers that selection, it would be an option for someone with only one or two devices who still wants the odd USB to show up on the dock.  Better yet, it would be nice if there were an easy way to whitelist mounted drives in the dock. 

Anyway, your suggestion is best (quicker, easier, safer), but one can also turn it off or on in a graphical environment using Dconf Editor.  The usual warnings about fooling with unfamiliar settings in Dconf apply.  Again, it's just a shame it's all or nothing.

I hope I get some time to play with 20.04 soon.
Yeah, I was going to suggest Dconf Editor but decided against  it because it has a potential to do a lot of damage. this is a bit safer.
but for an experienced Linux user, I agree. it is a great point and click solution.

I like the white list idea.

kudos
A computer without Microsoft is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.

Telegram @eliasw4u
I detest the newest Gnome desktop. Before 20.04 came out i wondered how they could possibly make it any less intuitive and more obscure. Well, they did, in 20.04. I have been searching for an hour for a way to change my keyboard to Spanish.

I changed to the Xubuntu desktop and ended the pain. It was very simple.

'sudo apt install xubuntu-desktop'

When asked which desktop manager to use, choose Lightdm.

Richard
(05-04-2020, 02:48 PM)Richard Wrote: I detest the newest Gnome desktop. Before 20.04 came out i wondered how they could possibly make it any less intuitive and more obscure. Well, they did, in 20.04. I have been searching for an hour for a way to change my keyboard to Spanish.

I changed to the Xubuntu desktop and ended the pain. It was very simple.

'sudo apt install xubuntu-desktop'

When asked which desktop manager to use, choose Lightdm.

Richard
 I understand the sentiment. The first, second, third,,,,,,,,,,, time I tried gnome, I hated it. Why re-invent the wheel? I was using XFCE and Gnome 2(like MATE). But one day I realized that most of the people who brought me Linux computers to fix, ran Gnome of some variant, usually Ubuntu.  So, I decided to take the time to learn the new Gnome. Painfully I sat down, took two weeks and learned it (18.04). To my supersize after I learned my way around it I actually like it, a lot. That is a big deal because I am not one for change, if it works,,,,,,,,,, don't fix it... As for 20.04, I am still on the fence.

If I didn't fix other peoples computers, I would have never taken the time to learn Gnome. So I completely understand. I was the same way. But kinda had to learn it, it was a job thing. Now its not to bad. It has a great work flow for me (18.04).

with 20.04, I am waiting for all the bugs to get worked out before I make a solid decision.

Sometimes I miss XFCE. And when I hit a snag In Gnome, the first thing I think is "I wouldn't have this problem with XFCE"

kudos
A computer without Microsoft is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.

Telegram @eliasw4u
In my testing of Ubuntu 20.04 on the portable HDD, I like Gnome more than I thought I would...at least the 3.36 version Ubuntu uses.

But I like Cinnamon better, and if I were to ever move to Ubuntu on a daily basis, I'd at least investigate the Cinnamon Ubunto respin.

I am still very much a Linux Mint fan, so I'll stick with it for now instead of doing that.
(05-07-2020, 10:46 AM)Inundated Wrote: In my testing of Ubuntu 20.04 on the portable HDD, I like Gnome more than I thought I would...at least the 3.36 version Ubuntu uses.

But I like Cinnamon better, and if I were to ever move to Ubuntu on a daily basis, I'd at least investigate the Cinnamon Ubunto respin.

I am still very much a Linux Mint fan, so I'll stick with it for now instead of doing that.
for a very long time whenever someone would ask me which distro was the best to start off with, it was Linux Mint without even thinking about it. but  19 didn't impress me. not that it is bad it is good. i didn't see much innovation. they used to be ahead of the game, now it seems like they are just trying to keep up.

although i really like the way they are going with there LMDE releases.
there is enough of a following they could completely walk away from Ubuntu. i think could take over again if they did.

kudos

Telegram @eliasw4u
(04-26-2020, 11:19 PM)eliasw4u Wrote: I have been running Ubuntu 18.04 with Gnome for a while now, at least 9 months, maybe a year.

when I started playing with installers back in 2000 I tried Ubuntu. And stuck with it (Part-time) until 2010, where I went full-time Linux. I tried Arch around 2012. but it was to clunky for me at the time. So I went back to Ubuntu Unity. But in 2014 I tried the late great Antergos, and loved it. It was still Arch. but with style. A Lazy mans Arch if you will. Then in late 2014 I installed Arch vanilla on a secondary hard drive. And for the time, found my home. But after five years of having to update every day, I became tired of it and went back to Ubuntu. first I tried Kubuntu 18.04 and liked it. But it was VERY slow on the boot time. so I went back to Arch.

Eventually I tried Ubuntu Gnome 18.04 and surprisingly I liked it a lot!  The point of all that is to show that I am familiar with Ubuntu, and even fond of it. anyway,
So as you can imagine, I was very exited that 20.04 was coming out. The day of its official release I downloaded it, and installed it. It was buggy, but I was okay with it because it was "Hot Off The Press".... And then installed gnome-tweaks,,, to find it only had two choices. That was a deal breaker for me. My work flow does not allow for the min/max/close buttons to be on the right side. I also used other options in the tweaks and I can not do without any of them, options that are no longer in 20.04 tweaks. There were many other little things that bugged me. But that was the straw...

very underwhelmed and saddened. But anyway,

I went back to 18.04. I will stay here until I find something better. I am VERY close to dropping to Debian Gnome.
All the apps I use are still one click with Debian. but I like the polish of Ubuntu better. I may go Arch again, and polish it myself. But that is time I don't have right now.

Bottom line,
I will play with it in a VM for a while, but
For me, unfortunately, Ubuntu 20.04 was a disastrous FLOP.

the question is, how is it working for everyone else?
leave a post.  And vote!

kudos

Tried 20.04 on my laptop,not my primary computer;not terribly impressed.Will stick with Mint on the fancy tower for now.