Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux Mint 19.3 Mate 64 bit - problem child?
I'm a happy Linux Mint 18.3 user. Since I have a spare laptop which is virtually identical to the one running Linux Mint 18.3, I thought I'd give Linux Mint 19.3 a go. So I installed a new SSD, and installed 19.3, which was a snap. Unfortunately, playing around with the new install has been a disappointment. It keeps freezing up every 5 minutes (or less). I find myself rebooting over and over. Thanks to the new SSD this takes less than 20 seconds, but geeze. What a drag!

I seem to remember seeing comments online about certain Linux Mint 19 versions that were flawed, and people reverted back to an earlier version in the 19 series.

Can anyone confirm this? Should I just install 19.1 or 19.2?

Appreciate any thoughts.
Regards, Jeff Guynn
Durham, NC (USA)
I have been active with Mint from 18 through 19.3 with no problems at all.
(04-21-2020, 08:17 AM)bulldog Wrote: I have been active with Mint from 18 through 19.3 with no problems at all.
Always happy to hear reports of consistent satisfaction with Linux. In my case, installing 19.1 seems to prove the best option at this point with my current hardware (now 10 years old). Three cheers for Linux!
Regards, Jeff Guynn
Durham, NC (USA)
Jeff Guynn: honestly I think it is just a thing with Linux Mint. They don't get to test things much before they publish.
I suggest you play around and try different versions...
Best of luck!
========
BTW: I wish Mint would drop the non Cinnamon desktops.
Seriously, Linux Mint is giving Mate a bad name.

Only a small smidgen of the full Mate Desktop is being used and they modify it to fit into their "one size fits all" system

they are spread too thin, Cinnamon is their focus, stay with it!
(04-21-2020, 12:30 AM)jhguynn Wrote: I seem to remember seeing comments online about certain Linux Mint 19 versions that were flawed, and people reverted back to an earlier version in the 19 series.
What specifically were these flaws you mention? I haven't seen any reports of that nature. There have been instances where 19.3 has not worked well because it had a newer kernel which didn't suit older hardware. Perhaps that is your problem, in which case 19.2 would be a better choice as it uses an older kernel. (4.15 rather than 5.3 if I remember the numbers correctly.)

There are ways to change the existing kernel to an earlier version, but I don't recall the details and in any case it would be easier for you to test a live medium of 19.2.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon
(04-21-2020, 04:21 PM)cliffcoggin Wrote:
(04-21-2020, 12:30 AM)jhguynn Wrote: I seem to remember seeing comments online about certain Linux Mint 19 versions that were flawed, and people reverted back to an earlier version in the 19 series.
What specifically were these flaws you mention? I haven't seen any reports of that nature. There have been instances where 19.3 has not worked well because it had a newer kernel which didn't suit older hardware. Perhaps that is your problem, in which case 19.2 would be a better choice as it uses an older kernel. (4.15 rather than 5.3 if I remember the numbers correctly.)

There are ways to change the existing kernel to an earlier version, but I don't recall the details and in any case it would be easier for you to test a live medium of 19.2.

It must be a kernel thing, because 19.1 (which uses the 4.XX kernel) works like a charm. This troubles me because I'm very proud to be using a 10 year old laptop with Linux and have it work like a rockstar. When I need to move to the 5.XX kernel I may be up the creek unless the kernel team addresses the issue. Hope so. Got my eyes on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.
Regards, Jeff Guynn
Durham, NC (USA)