Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arch question
I have three virtual Arch machines running in Virtual Box. In each of these, the last time I upgraded them, each machine, after downloading the updated files, said "No upgrade was performed. The following file exists in /usr/lib: p11-kit-trust.so"

I renamed that file to 'p11-kit-trust.so.old' in each of the machines, and then they upgraded normally.

Any idea what that file is, and why it was there?

Richard
Hello @Richard,
There is a conflict with the files.
You can use

Code:
pacman -Qo <package-name>

to see if any thing owns the package. If nothing owns it you can safely delete it and continue with the Update...
You can delete it like this
Code:
sudo rm <package-name>

Also, you need to always go to the Arch website at https://www.archlinux.org/ to see the news on what is causing the error and follow the instructions to fix the error!
The Arch devs will have a fix up on the site by the time you find it... Lol After all it is Arch and there are Oops!
I hope this helps!
Also subscribe to the Arch news letter as you will get a email about any issues... :-D
LLAP
Taglines of the BBS Days:
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday. 
  Everybody remember where we parked. - Kirk
    Not everything in life is a 1 or a 0.
       Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it again...
This is caused by a packaging error. The file was installed by a package, but the package did not specify that it owned this file. The package manager of Arch Linux refuses to overwrite files which do not belong to the package it is trying to update, for obvious reasons.

As mentioned by bescott9944, you should take a peak at the Arch Linux website from time to time, where they announce such errors. The error in question was announced here.
Thank you leon.p for clarifying that!
I guess I should have explained the error a little better.. Old Brain Fart! (Pufffff)  Rolleyes

LLAP
Taglines of the BBS Days:
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday. 
  Everybody remember where we parked. - Kirk
    Not everything in life is a 1 or a 0.
       Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it again...
Same problem , same fix on real hardware. tks.
Dos 3.2 to Win 10.
Main - Cinnamon 19.2
   Resistance Is Not Futile!
       It's voltage divided by current