Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new SSD won't get recognized / failure?
I recently bought an SSD to install on my Dell Latitude 6520. I did the preliminary checking to ensure it is compatible with my device. Ostensibly it is. I then followed the simple instructions for swapping hard drives found here:

How to replace the HDD of DELL Latitude E6520, E6530, E6420, E6430 with a SSD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3sZ4a_8bRg

Upon removing the old (defective) HD and comparing to the replacement SSD I purchased, all the metal lined up exactly the same, and they were exactly the same size, so I remained reasonably convinced this is a compatible device for my Dell laptop.

Then I attempted to install Centos7 from a thumb drive. See attached screenshots for the process that ensued and the error messages I got. On the first pass I elected to have the installation software check the new drive. It failed: "failed to start media check on /dev/sda". Then I rebooted and attempted simply to install Centos7. This also failed: "failed to create symbolic link /dev/root. File exists"

I've never done this before, so I'm not sure if I need to do something else first. Mount the new drive? How? I appreciate any insight the group of experts here can offer.

Attached Files
.png   1-Centos7-install-screen.png (Size: 375.48 KB / Downloads: 6)
.png   2-check-sva-screen.png (Size: 475.05 KB / Downloads: 4)
.png   3-check-sva-failure-message.png (Size: 490.38 KB / Downloads: 4)
.png   4-installation-failure-message.png (Size: 391.48 KB / Downloads: 4)
Regards, Jeff Guynn
Durham, NC (USA)
Hello jhguynn

The drive test you did is for the installation medium

This means there is an issue with the USB drive.

There are a couple of things you can do:
  • Verify the checksum of the image that you used to create the thumb drive.
  • If you cannot verify the image then re-download it.
  • Write the disk image to the USB drive again.
  • Use a new USB drive

If you want to test your new SSD, you can do a self test in the BIOS. You should be able to find it in the boot menu.
Hello p-murphy: Thanks for the tip, that did it (for now). Simply redownloading the Centos7 image to my thumb drive was all it took. Installation then proceeded nicely...until...

Now I'm stuck at the CentOS 7 installation step that has me choosing the "installation destination" for where to perform the installation. Nothing shows up in the HD choices (i.e. my new SSD is not being recognized).

So I'm stuck with how properly to mount the new SSD. All I've done so far is unscrew and remove the old SATA HD and then insert the new SSD and screw it in (and afterward replacing the laptop battery).

Any further guidance would be most appreciated.
Regards, Jeff Guynn
Durham, NC (USA)
(04-19-2020, 08:02 PM)jhguynn Wrote: Hello p-murphy: Thanks for the tip, that did it (for now). Simply redownloading the Centos7 image to my thumb drive was all it took. Installation then proceeded nicely...until...

Now I'm stuck at the CentOS 7 installation step that has me choosing the "installation destination" for where to perform the installation. Nothing shows up in the HD choices (i.e. my new SSD is not being recognized).

So I'm stuck with how properly to mount the new SSD. All I've done so far is unscrew and remove the old SATA HD and then insert the new SSD and screw it in (and afterward replacing the laptop battery).

I'm not sure why Centos 7 would not be recognizing the SSD.
The Centos installation process is more complicated so there maybe an extra step that you need to do.

From what you have said, the SSD should be working but you should test it.
To test it either have a look in your bios if it is detected or try another distro and see if it can detect the drive.
(04-19-2020, 08:02 PM)jhguynn Wrote: Hello p-murphy: Thanks for the tip, that did it (for now). Simply redownloading the Centos7 image to my thumb drive was all it took. Installation then proceeded nicely...until...

Hi.  It may be that you need to create a partition table, and a partition on the new SSD before it can be used.  I am not familiar with Centos, so I do not know if its installation process can do this automatically.  You can try downloading and burning a Gparted disk, and using that to create a partition table and a partition.  You can also check the partition.
Thanks for all the replies. It turns out the SSD I bought was just a hare too skinny. I literally taped a piece of a rubber sheet to the back of it (less than 1 mm thick), re-inserted it, and Boom! it worked.
Regards, Jeff Guynn
Durham, NC (USA)