Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Joe's BU script and Timeshift
I use Joe Collins' BU script to create snapshots of my home directory and it works great. I also use Timeshift for snapshots of the system. On my primary computer, Timeshift saves to an external drive so the BU script doesn't even know about it. On other computers, it saves them to the home directory or partition.

I recently set up a laptop dedicated to online banking and I set up Timeshift to save snapshots to my home partition. When I would run BU it would take 10 to 12 minutes to run. Through a little experimentation, I found that if I excluded the timeshift directory, the script completed in a couple of minutes. The Timeshift snapshots were the bottleneck.

If you use BU and have Timeshift set up to save snapshots to the home directory, add `--exclude 'timeshift` to the rysnc commands in the script.
Code:
sudo rsync -aH --delete --exclude 'timeshift' --info=progress2 /etc /home /media/$user/BU_Drive/BU_Backups/$host/
Rick Romig
"It's never wrong to introduce a child to Linux."
@ludditegeek
Rick's Tech Stuff
GitHub
Hi Rick,
That is some good information to know!

I do my a little differently. I just have time shift save to a external USB drive also on 2 of my systems that have small drives. I use the same USB drive for my Timeshift and XBT backups... Lol
I just point Timeshift to the USB and made a Dir on the drive for Timeshift... (It's a 2 TB Drive)
I also made changes to XBT and excluded some folders like the tmp, trash, and my network drives that are mounted in the fstab at boot. I only do a back once a week and it only takes a minute or less... Smile

I also hard coded XBT to do a external backup to USB of my whole Ubuntu Server and not just the user folders. It is amazing what you can do with XBT/BU with a little bit of research and a bit of adding things and tweaks...
I thank Joe every time I do a backup...  Big Grin

LLAP
Taglines of the BBS Days:
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday. 
  Everybody remember where we parked. - Kirk
    Not everything in life is a 1 or a 0.
       Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it again...
(04-20-2020, 02:49 PM)bescott9944 Wrote: Hi Rick,
That is some good information to know!

I do my a little differently. I just have time shift save to a external USB drive also on 2 of my systems that have small drives. I use the same USB drive for my Timeshift and XBT backups... Lol
I just point Timeshift to the USB and made a Dir on the drive for Timeshift... (It's a 2 TB Drive)
I also made changes to XBT and excluded some folders like the tmp, trash, and my network drives that are mounted in the fstab at boot. I only do a back once a week and it only takes a minute or less... Smile

I also hard coded XBT to do a external backup to USB of my whole Ubuntu Server and not just the user folders. It is amazing what you can do with XBT/BU with a little bit of research and a bit of adding things and tweaks...
I thank Joe every time I do a backup...  Big Grin

LLAP
On my main system, I have Timeshift save to an external drive. On most of my other systems, I keep the snapshot in the home directory. The laptop where this became a problem was one I dedicate to online banking. I've since moved the Timeshift snapshots to the external drive where I keep my BU snapshots. This machine isn't likely to contain much data so I'm not worried about running out of space. I've been using XBT and BU since Joe originally released them and I've made numerous changes to them to suit my needs.
Rick Romig
"It's never wrong to introduce a child to Linux."
@ludditegeek
Rick's Tech Stuff
GitHub