Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arch GPT/UEFI install
i tried an arch install last fall and managed to get the command prompt eventually.  The snag was some good Vids. from Distrotube and others finding later the ISO the I  used after was missing nano, vim a kernel etc. Learned some neat things anyway. Gave it another try noticing kernel 5 now included , but I see the boot ISO now seems GPT boot . I am trying it on an old 4 core , 3.2 ghz cpu 4g DIMM @ 1.3ghz L1,L2,L3 cache. never used uefi before ; rather stay with MBR. hoping for the best. Want to leave my main 8 core MSI alone and try ARCH on junk boxes like this one. One particular question ; can I make a text file of pgms. I want installed and save to the install medium , then send it (ie. < ) to pacman to automate install software ? Any suggestions ?
Dos 3.2 to Win 10.
Main - Cinnamon 19.2
   Resistance Is Not Futile!
       It's voltage divided by current
Hi Rick,
I know what you mean. They changed a bunch of stuff in the Arch Base package and their are a bunch of new steps that are not in 98% of the arch install unless they are from the first of the year... The Arch site is just getting caught up...
Give this channel a look and follow what he does and it will all be ok...  I did and it all works. Good luck!
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQrSHD-tv9nkssrD4nNGcMw

I followed his way and I am still using it right now.... :-D
LLAP
Taglines of the BBS Days:
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday. 
  Everybody remember where we parked. - Kirk
    Not everything in life is a 1 or a 0.
       Experience enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it again...
I f i got your question right, you want to make a list of packages and install them automaticly?

To create this list you can use:

Code:
pacman -Qqe > /path/to/pkglist.txt

Keep this file where ever you like (external drive, ubs stick etc etc) when you need it use that source and type 

Code:
pacman -S --needed - < pkglist.txt

I hope i go your question right an i am not off topic.

PS: for more details about this method, here is the arch linux wikipage:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pac...and_tricks
bscott9944 : EZNIX : yup that's the guy I used for the install. Actually completed the install. best guide i've found.
and thanks Tuxinho I'll give that a try.
I should have known others asked the same question ... lesson learned lol
I'm not a touch typist. Flunked typing in grade 10. :-(
Going to do a talk about my Arch install as a noob to our ELUG Linux group up here next week.
Dos 3.2 to Win 10.
Main - Cinnamon 19.2
   Resistance Is Not Futile!
       It's voltage divided by current
The only problem with this method is you need to have a first arch install and install manually every single package you'll need. Is from the second on that you can use it.

One more thing: you probably want to save some of your config files as well. It might save you a lot of time next installation.

<<Going to do a talk about my Arch install as a noob to our ELUG Linux group up here next week.>>

It is fine, you can ask them here. You know penguins came from chicks and chicks from eggs. i mean we all been noobs once, it is part of the process. The important is that we learn.
(04-16-2020, 09:16 AM)Tuxinho Wrote: The only problem with this method is you need to have a first arch install and install manually every single package you'll need. Is from the second on that you can use it.

One more thing: you probably want to save some of your config files as well. It might save you a lot of time next installation.

<<Going to do a talk about my Arch install as a noob to our ELUG Linux group up here next week.>>

It is fine, you can ask them here. You know penguins came from chicks and chicks from eggs. i mean we all been noobs once, it is part of the process. The important is that we learn.
It has been 6 months on this Arch install and I still find something I need to install once in a while, not as often as when I did the install but still...  Smile
I saved all my notes so the next time I will know what I really need Lol   Big Grin
LLAP
@bescott yes, so you can do that command once at week. You can even do a cron job to do it for you.
@Tuxinho I know what you mean... I usually do my updates 2 times a week and from the command line.
I have setup a cron job or two but I do 98% of stuff by hand as it were... Smile

LLAP