Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My swhitch to the Cinnamon DE
So, I have been using the Budgie DE for almost half a year, but I started to have some difficulties with it recently, as it started to eat my ram as well as being relatively poorly supported on Arch due to the lack of users using it as a daily driver.

Last weekend I got so agitated about it that I decided to switch to Cinnamon and customize it to my heart's content. Here's a video of how it looks now:

https://youtu.be/m8o2J0eTPpo

What I'm really missing from the Budgie is the option to change the volume of individual software right from the Raven sidebar, so if anyone has some suggestions how to do this on Cinnamon, please don't shy away from sharing.
My top 10 reasons to still use Arch after 2 months on my main PC at home.
Thanks for sharing!

Extensive information about the Plank app.  The second part about Cinnamon customization was a little fast for me, but that was a lot of information to include in a short video.

Glad you found another DE that's working well for you.  If you enjoy customization, have you tried Plasma desktop with your Arch build before?  Also, if you like tiling, have you tried any tiling window managers?  I don't have much experience with either.  Just curious.
I never could get Budgie to work properly with Arch. I have Arch virtual machines running with Maté, with LXDE, with LXQt, and with a custom desktop I built on an Openbox base. Maté and Arch seem to be a marriage made in heaven.

Richard
(03-21-2020, 08:21 AM)Eurus Wrote: The second part about Cinnamon customization was a little fast for me, but that was a lot of information to include in a short video.

Sorry to hear that! I guess I was just too happy to explain all those choices in detail, so I rushed through them.

(03-21-2020, 08:21 AM)Eurus Wrote: If you enjoy customization, have you tried Plasma desktop with your Arch build before?  Also, if you like tiling, have you tried any tiling window managers?

I have never tried Plasma, that could be an obvious choice after deserting from Budgie, but I already had Cinnamon there as a backup choice, so I just ran with it. Plasma seems to be a huge commitment, as they almost have a whole suite of applications, and to be honest, I really like Nemo as a file manager, and I use qalculate and speedcrunch as calculators... Maybe some stuff like drawing tool would be nice, I'm kinda bummed out by the drawing program from Gnome (called drawing), it's a little too lacking for me.

I might just install Plasma just to try, but then I'll have to try XFCE too.

As for tiling, I'm not really into the tiling wms as my usual workflow on my home PC involves heavy mouse use anyways (video editing, audio editing, 3D stuff), I just like how the new windows don't overlap eachother, if there is enough space on the desktop.
It's a very informative video — you provided a lot of information and it sounds like you've found a good fit for your needs and preferences.

I forget if you mentioned what programs you prefer to record / edit your videos.
(03-23-2020, 01:29 AM)Eurus Wrote: I forget if you mentioned what programs you prefer to record / edit your videos.

My tutorial videos are absolutely the lowest possible effort to make. I record using OBS, if I record in parts, than I just concatenate the videos with my custom ffmpeg scripts, and then sometimes I clean up the audio with Audacity.
(03-22-2020, 02:36 PM)TarsolyGer Wrote: As for tiling, I'm not really into the tiling wms as my usual workflow on my home PC involves heavy mouse use anyways (video editing, audio editing, 3D stuff), I just like how the new windows don't overlap eachother, if there is enough space on the desktop.

Then I recommend you try sway. It is tiling but has good mouse support. Also it is not a WM but a Wayland Compositor, another nice thing to try.

I have used it as my desktop for almost a year now and it works splendidly. I even wrote a launcher for it.
My website - My git repos

"Things are only impossible until they’re not." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
(03-30-2020, 01:40 PM)leon.p Wrote: Then I recommend you try sway. It is tiling but has good mouse support. Also it is not a WM but a Wayland Compositor, another nice thing to try.

I have used it as my desktop for almost a year now and it works splendidly. I even wrote a launcher for it.

I have heard that wayland has trouble with nvidia drivers. I have an nvidia card. Can't it be a problem?
(03-31-2020, 03:35 AM)TarsolyGer Wrote: I have heard that wayland has trouble with nvidia drivers. I have an nvidia card. Can't it be a problem?

Actually, it is the other way around: Nvidia has problems with Wayland, because Nvidia wants everyone to use their weird standards instead of using the open standards agreed upon by literally everyone else.

Sway should still work with an Nvidia card, but only if you use nouveau.
My website - My git repos

"Things are only impossible until they’re not." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
I may be stating the obvious, but you can always do that in a VM. Hardware permitting.