Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peppermint Wifi
I recently put Peppermint 9 on an old computer. I now  want to connect it to my wifi network at home. How do I get the menu of networks available to my computer? I do not see an icon on my panel and when I go into the network manager I do not see any network lists.
(03-20-2020, 01:37 PM)frank124c@gmail.com Wrote: I recently put Peppermint 9 on an old computer. I now  want to connect it to my wifi network at home. How do I get the menu of networks available to my computer? I do not see an icon on my panel and when I go into the network manager I do not see any network lists.
Hi.  Your computer may not have a built-in wi-fi adapter.  You can get a USB wi-fi adapter if necessary.
It could also be the case that you are lacking a driver or have an unsupported adapter.

If your laptop has an ethernet port, first try a wired connection.  While connected, navigate in the menu to All ---> Additional Drivers.  After searching, if available, additional drivers may be offered which you can apply.

It may be the case that you have an unsupported WiFi adapter and additional drivers will not be found.  In that case, like kb0hae mentioned, you may want to buy an USB WiFi adapter.

There are also known issues with some network adapters in Linux.  Try searching Peppermint's site for information about troubleshooting WiFi issues; they may list fixes for common issues with Broadcom or other adapters.  Peppermint also has a user forum in which you could search or post.  You can find it in the Community Support link at the bottom of their home page.

You can identify your WiFi adapter by opening a Terminal and typing:

Code:
sudo lshw -C network

It will prompt you for a password.  Your WiFi device may be listed after your ethernet interface.

Good Luck!
Thanx 4 the help. I was looking in all the wrong places for the icon. I have now found it but I do appreciate your help and concern.
Nice.  Glad you solved it.