Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Webcam & Mic for Ubuntu Desktop
Hello everyone,
This is my first post to EzeeTalk. Just signed up yesterday after watching Joe's videos on YouTube for the better part of 2 years. (Thanks Joe... videos are so helpful). Thanks to all those who have set this forum up.
I'm fairly new to Linux and have been messing around with Ubuntu on my home computer.  I want to set it up now so that it can be used more in my workflow.  I need to be able to use my computer for video conference calling. (I use Zoom as the my primary Video Conference Calling platform).
Any suggestions about what Webcam & Mic would be best?
I'm currently running Ubuntu 18.04 and plan on switching to 20.04 once I'm able to.
Thanks in advance
Evan
I have maybe used a half-dozen USB webcams and maybe another 10 or 20 cameras built into laptops. I don't know what "the best" is.

I use a Logitech C920 USB Webcam on an older Dell Optiplex and also an Intel NUC, both running Ubuntu 18.04. The camera is recognized automatically, true plug-and-play, no driver install required. I have used this cam with Skype and Zoom under Ubuntu and it worked without a hitch. I'm using this camera also on a number of Windows computers, always with very good results.

Based on my experience, I have no hesitation to recommend the C920. There are cheaper and newer cameras from Logitech, but I didn't use those.

Since I use this cam, a few people asked me why my video is sharper and sound clearer, compared to other people.

Google yourself a few reviews and you will see that many people say the same thing.