Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 10 UEFI Password Trouble. Format Before Ubuntu Install
Want to Rid myself of all Windows/Microsoft on my HP Model 17-ca1003ds.
How can this be done?
Try this from the horse's mouth:
https://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea...en/latest/
Cliff Coggin
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon
That'll be good when I get to the installing need command prompt to change/clear passwords now though
Appreciate your advice and time sir.
******UPDATE ******

I PUT IT IN THE TRASH CAN!!!!

Now...

What is the best computer to buy for Ubuntu/Linux?

I've heard some of the older machines are better. Others say to buy one with the OS/LINUX installed. 

Opinions please.
The one you just threw away.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon
(03-17-2020, 11:32 PM)cliffcoggin Wrote: The one you just threw away.

Very funny ?
But really...what is a good source for Ubuntu preinstalled computers?
There are numerous companies that offer machines with preinstalled Linux OSes.  While most ship world-wide, pricing and availability may vary by your geographic region.

For Ubuntu specifically, Dell, System 76, (System 76 also offers Pop!_OS, their custom spin of an Ubuntu base), and Entroware, to name a few.

There are numerous other companies that offer a machine with a preinstalled version of their spin of an Ubuntu / Debian-based OS.  A prominent example being Purism, which offers PureOS.  Most machines with hardware that runs well with another current Ubuntu-based spin or Debian-based OS should handle whatever current version of regular Ubuntu you may want to install yourself with a few caveats about drivers.

Here's a link with a lot brand suggestions (I can't attest to how up-to-date its info is and my bandwidth is too slow right now to even cursory check a few of its links; otherwise, I would have also linked the previous brands I mentioned.):

https://www.cyberciti.biz/hardware/lapto...preloaded/
System 76 have a good reputation for making computers specifically for Linux. I believe they have Ubuntu installed.
Personally I would find a way of wiping Windows from the old computer (I don't know how,) then it should be straightforward to install your choice of Linux.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon
(03-17-2020, 08:22 PM)larryand1 Wrote: That'll be good when I get to the installing need command prompt to change/clear passwords now though
Appreciate your advice and time sir.
******UPDATE ******

I PUT IT IN THE TRASH CAN!!!!

Now...

What is the best computer to buy for Ubuntu/Linux?

I've heard some of the older machines are better. Others say to buy one with the OS/LINUX installed. 

Opinions please.

Hi.  What password(s) are you talking about?  All Windows passwords will be gone if you wipe windows, and install Linux.  If you are talking boot password, or bios password, you change/eliminate those in the bios settings.  In either case, you don't need to throw away the computer!  If you insist in a different computer, it depends on if you want new or refurbished/used, and your budget.  I don't have a lot of $$$, so I get refurbished Lenovo machines from Newegg, or sometimes a Lenovo laptop on eBay.  I am very picky about condition, especially screens (no dead pixeld) and keyboards, and would never get anything with less than 8Gb of ram.  Sometimes you can find laptops and desktops on eBay with Linux installed.
I run Linux Mint 19.3 on two older Lenovo machines - a ThinkCentre M83 desktop and a ThinkPad L412. It runs great. Lenovo is usually a very good bet!
(03-23-2020, 12:25 AM)Inundated Wrote: I run Linux Mint 19.3 on two older Lenovo machines - a ThinkCentre M83 desktop and a ThinkPad L412. It runs great. Lenovo is usually a very good bet!

Thank you very much! I'll check into these.