Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Way Back /home
There’s no better way to start the day than grabbing a cup of coffee and reloading your system ‘cause you broke it late the night before and decided to just let it wait until morning…. I had loaded Ubuntu 20.04 yesterday but it turned out that a few things were not working and I poked at it just a little too hard. Oh, well. Isn’t this what’s supposed to be fun about Linux. Yeah, yeah, yeah… I know I always say to stick with the LTS but if you wave some shinny new cutting-edge software in my face and say “come and get it!” I simply cannot resist. 

As I was watching the files from my backup sync up this morning, it struck me that I have gotten really good at reloading Linux computers just because I like to play. I have written scripts to make mirror accurate copies of my /home directory and I can restore it to a known good state at anytime.  I have scripts to reload all the software and restore all the settings I need in just a couple of keystrokes. I guess it’s just a kind of sickness but it’s only made possible because of how flexible Linux is and how easy it is to automate just about EVERYTHING you can do with it. 

Linux offers lots of choices and sometimes you can go down a wrong road when you’re exploring. That’s no big deal as long as you make sure you have a way back…
-- Your Fearless Leader!

(02-26-2020, 02:08 PM)EzeeLinux Wrote:  I guess it’s just a kind of sickness...

Get well soon. The illness is rarely terminal.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon
(02-26-2020, 06:11 PM)cliffcoggin Wrote:
(02-26-2020, 02:08 PM)EzeeLinux Wrote:  I guess it’s just a kind of sickness...

Get well soon. The illness is rarely terminal.

Was that a deliberate pun?
Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!
(02-26-2020, 02:08 PM)EzeeLinux Wrote:  I guess it’s just a kind of sickness but it’s only made possible because of how flexible Linux is and how easy it is to automate just about EVERYTHING you can do with it. 

I would call it wisdom.  A trusted backup and verifiable restoration plan is being prepared.  

I am sure some patootie will say I never had a drive fail. I do not need to proactively test my disk drive(s) or my backup media.  I am not concerned. They are same people having a pity party in a Linux forum complaining about why they cannot rescue data from their disk.  I have no empathy for anyone being so careless, and I hope my statement offends and wakes them up.  

I wonder how many users have ever performed a test of their backup/restoration strategy.  I think a number of them would be surprised when it does not turn out the way they intended.  It is best practice to verify your restoration plan before you need it.  Disks are cheap relatively speaking, so you can acquire a drive just for backup/restoration testing.  Replace your boot drive with a wiped clean replacement drive (no partitioning or file system signatures) and start testing.  Any ancillary drives storing your favorite home movies, family pictures, or any precious files should have the same consideration.

If your data files are important, you need to have a verifiable restoration plan.  It is your data.

Joe, keep on keeping on.  Wink 
Idea Give a person a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a person how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️

When I Install any Linux Distro with all my settings and software...I create an Image and store it on an External HDD...so if anything should happen...I don't have to spend hours...days or months on the Internet trying to fix the problem...its just a matter of Re-Imaging the Drive...simple. [Image: smileys-thumbs-315757.gif]
Linux Forever...Windoze Never       [Image: t12701.gif]
(02-26-2020, 02:08 PM)EzeeLinux Wrote: ....
As I was watching the files from my backup sync up this morning, it struck me that I have gotten really good at reloading Linux computers just because I like to play. I have written scripts to make mirror accurate copies of my /home directory and I can restore it to a known good state at anytime.  I have scripts to reload all the software and restore all the settings I need in just a couple of keystrokes. I guess it’s just a kind of sickness but it’s only made possible because of how flexible Linux is and how easy it is to automate just about EVERYTHING you can do with it. 

Linux offers lots of choices and sometimes you can go down a wrong road when you’re exploring. That’s no big deal as long as you make sure you have a way back…

This is precisely the kind of competence level that I want to attain...so I am taking steps to improve my knowledge of the CLI. Thanks for making those videos!

Michel