Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Error: attempt to read or write outside of disk "hd0" [SOLVED]
(10-06-2018, 07:01 PM)creative42 Wrote: Hi again everyone.

After a week of tinkering I have:

Run the HDD tests recommended by Cleverwise
Rebuilt Grub following the instructions by Cleverwise
Changed the SATA cable to one I know is fine
Removed the GTX260 (used for gaming for 6 years) with a 8400GS (hardly used)

My Bios is AwardBios - not sure if that is a rare Bios or not.

So far, so good. No problems booting or in use.

I think then, that the GTX260 must have developed a fault, which caused the desktop to go all one colour and unresponsive. So when I reset the PC using the case button, maybe it corrupted Grub?

Many thanks to everyone for their comments, it's great being part of such a friendly community! Smile

Well, that would certainly make sense (to an extent, it must be a pretty extraordinary fault to have displayed the image just fine for a time and then it's a solid color and for the cycle to repeat reliably every single time, at least from my understanding of your replies). Regarding GRUB, it possibly wasn't GRUB, but the kernel or something else (if I try to run Ubuntu or Antergos without the iommu=soft boot parameter, it gives me errors regarding AMD-Vi at boot and a forced poweroff, which is the only way to get out of that, can leave me needing to run a manual fsck via live media I prepared beforehand, since the kernel usually gets corrupted if anything gets corrupted).

I am glad that you could find a happy resolution to your problem and I hope you have a nice day!
Name: Sandy Vujaković
Laptop: HP Pavilion 15-aw003nm

Messages In This Thread
RE: Error: attempt to read or write outside of disk "hd0" - by elsandosgrande - 10-12-2018, 09:50 PM