Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Error: attempt to read or write outside of disk "hd0" [SOLVED]
I had a similar intermittent boot issue after upgrading my motherboard.

Grub boot scripts are pretty similar to posix shell scripts, so I added a retry loop around the main linux and initrd steps.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-g...00000.html
(10-03-2018, 01:51 AM)jeremylakeman Wrote: I had a similar intermittent boot issue after upgrading my motherboard.

Grub boot scripts are pretty similar to posix shell scripts, so I added a retry loop around the main linux and initrd steps.

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-g...00000.html

That is indeed a good workaround, but I see two problems with it:
This is not always faster then rebooting, as it sometimes takes a few minutes before GRUB realises that there is an error
and I also would not recommend inexperienced users editing '/boot/grub/grub.cfg' directly,
a small typo will throw you into the recovery prompt at boot.
My website - My git repos

"Things are only impossible until they’re not." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
Hi again everyone.

After a week of tinkering I have:

Run the HDD tests recommended by Cleverwise
Rebuilt Grub following the instructions by Cleverwise
Changed the SATA cable to one I know is fine
Removed the GTX260 (used for gaming for 6 years) with a 8400GS (hardly used)

My Bios is AwardBios - not sure if that is a rare Bios or not.

So far, so good. No problems booting or in use.

I think then, that the GTX260 must have developed a fault, which caused the desktop to go all one colour and unresponsive. So when I reset the PC using the case button, maybe it corrupted Grub?

Many thanks to everyone for their comments, it's great being part of such a friendly community! Smile
Good deal.

AwardBiOS is in a lot of mainboards.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer
(10-06-2018, 07:01 PM)creative42 Wrote: Hi again everyone.

After a week of tinkering I have:

Run the HDD tests recommended by Cleverwise
Rebuilt Grub following the instructions by Cleverwise
Changed the SATA cable to one I know is fine
Removed the GTX260 (used for gaming for 6 years) with a 8400GS (hardly used)

My Bios is AwardBios - not sure if that is a rare Bios or not.

So far, so good. No problems booting or in use.

I think then, that the GTX260 must have developed a fault, which caused the desktop to go all one colour and unresponsive. So when I reset the PC using the case button, maybe it corrupted Grub?

Many thanks to everyone for their comments, it's great being part of such a friendly community! Smile

Well, that would certainly make sense (to an extent, it must be a pretty extraordinary fault to have displayed the image just fine for a time and then it's a solid color and for the cycle to repeat reliably every single time, at least from my understanding of your replies). Regarding GRUB, it possibly wasn't GRUB, but the kernel or something else (if I try to run Ubuntu or Antergos without the iommu=soft boot parameter, it gives me errors regarding AMD-Vi at boot and a forced poweroff, which is the only way to get out of that, can leave me needing to run a manual fsck via live media I prepared beforehand, since the kernel usually gets corrupted if anything gets corrupted).

I am glad that you could find a happy resolution to your problem and I hope you have a nice day!
Name: Sandy Vujaković
Laptop: HP Pavilion 15-aw003nm

It's now been a couple of weeks since my tinkering. Pleased to say no issues and have been using this PC for a couple of hours now. So, maybe it was the GTX260 causing the graphical issue (I may of not reinstalled it properly earlier this year after changing the CMOS battery, or it may just be faulty). 

I hope this thread has been of use to other people as these issues were beginning to put me off Linux, which would of been a shame as I'm really enjoying using Ubuntu and learning how to use the different software. The EzeeLinux community is great, and very helpful. I look forward to watching Joe's videos again now Smile !
(10-20-2018, 02:47 PM)creative42 Wrote: It's now been a couple of weeks since my tinkering. Pleased to say no issues and have been using this PC for a couple of hours now. So, maybe it was the GTX260 causing the graphical issue (I may of not reinstalled it properly earlier this year after changing the CMOS battery, or it may just be faulty). 

I hope this thread has been of use to other people as these issues were beginning to put me off Linux, which would of been a shame as I'm really enjoying using Ubuntu and learning how to use the different software. The EzeeLinux community is great, and very helpful. I look forward to watching Joe's videos again now Smile !

late to this post, read all contributions , just had a thought about possible over heating issue with the GPU I had an intermittent problem which turned out to be over heating.
(11-09-2018, 11:04 PM)jwk Wrote:
(10-20-2018, 02:47 PM)creative42 Wrote: It's now been a couple of weeks since my tinkering. Pleased to say no issues and have been using this PC for a couple of hours now. So, maybe it was the GTX260 causing the graphical issue (I may of not reinstalled it properly earlier this year after changing the CMOS battery, or it may just be faulty). 

late to this post, read all contributions , just had a thought about possible over heating issue with the GPU I had an intermittent problem which turned out to be over heating.

Yes, could well of been the GTX260 overheating as the fault would occur after an hour or two of the PC being turned on.