Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIP IBM T43
It is with great sadness I announce the passing of a valued family member: the old IBM Thinkpad T43 that served me and then my son so well.

It passed away this evening in the midst of a heat wave.  It is survived by... well, a lot of things.

It is being succeeded by the old Dell GX280 desktop which is undergoing a fresh Debian transplant as I write this.
Asus X58L
Debian 8 with MATE
Don't forget to pull the harddrive for reuse later.
(02-12-2020, 03:40 PM)spudnuts Wrote: Don't forget to pull the harddrive for reuse later.

Hard drive pulled and put into an external drive caddy in order to rescue my son's data - much to his great relief  Smile

I'm going to see what else I can salvage out of it - probably not a lot as it was in a pretty poor state towards the end.  I should at least be able to get the speakers and a light panel out of it.
Asus X58L
Debian 8 with MATE
The memory may be useable in another machine.
Hi. I had two T43s at one time. They have both been passed on to others, and are still working. I now have a T400, and a 420. These are both 64 bit machines, and work very well. They both have SSDs. Like any laptop, they need to have the inevitable collected dust cleaned out of the fan and heat sinks. Using canned air to blow out the air intakes helps, but not as much as getting to the fan itself. On most IBM/Lenovo laptops this is not too hard. There are very detailed manuals available for download, that will tell you step by step how to get to and replace (if necessary) pretty much any part. I can understand that many people are not comfortable taking things apart. However, if its not working, what do you have to loose?
(02-13-2020, 08:57 PM)kb0hae Wrote: Hi.  I had two T43s at one time.  They have both been passed on to others, and are still working.  I now have a T400, and a 420.  These are both 64 bit machines, and work very well.  They both have SSDs.  Like any laptop, they need to have the inevitable collected dust cleaned out of the fan and heat sinks.  Using canned air to blow out the air intakes helps, but not as much as getting to the fan itself.  On most IBM/Lenovo laptops this is not too hard.  There are very detailed manuals available for download, that will tell you step by step how to get to and replace (if necessary) pretty much any part.  I can understand that many people are not comfortable taking things apart.  However, if its not working, what do you have to loose?

Yeah.  I've had the thing apart so often it's not funny.  Cleaning out the dust, replacing the fan 3 times (last time with a brand new one rather than one salvaged from an old machine) when they got too old.  Also replaced the screen once and the keyboard at least twice - not at all uncomfortable stripping and replacing parts.

This time, though, the CPU seems to have fried.  The screen and keyboard were in dire need of replacing again, anyway, so it's pretty much reached the end.  At least I managed to salvage 6 18650 batteries out of the battery pack. Smile

So, the old GX280 with 1MB of RAM was too slow for my son and, having failed to find any DDR2 400MHz RAM to upgrade it, I dug a bunch of old towers out of my storage shed and found an old tower that was able to power up.  ASUS motherboard 3GHz CPU, 2MB DDR RAM - nothing flash but runs better than the old GX280.  Took the HDD out of the Dell, plugged it into the tower and fired it up - try that crap with Windoze and it'd pitch a fit, but Debian goes "Ooh, new hardware to play with" and gets on with business. Heart it!

While I had the machines lurking around, I systematically went through them and found another working tower - turns out it was my old tower before I switched to using a laptop.  Old MSI board, 1GB DDR, "running" (OK, more like crawling) Windoze XP.  We'll soon fix that!

I've now got a stack of 6 computers that don't work (some might work if I can find video cards because they seem to boot up but onboard video's dead), 11 HDDs ranging from 40GB to 120GB in size and two functional machines (the Dell GX280 and my old MSI tower) that I'm going to throw Linux on.

(02-13-2020, 05:58 PM)spudnuts Wrote: The memory may be useable in another machine.

Probably.  Worth keeping it around in case I encounter another machine that takes the same sticks.
Asus X58L
Debian 8 with MATE