Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new guy .. be nice ok ..
(02-11-2020, 08:57 PM)cleverwise Wrote: I have never seen an Asus machine or Asus mainboard reject Ubuntu MATE.

This is what I install for clients, friends, and family every time for desktop Linux.

That distro is stable and works well for both newbies and advanced people.

Still at the end of the day it is all a personal call.  Ubuntu (vanilla/regular) is liked by many and stable.  Some like Manjaro.  Many like Mint.  However I recommend Ubuntu MATE everytime when asked what to start with when using desktop Linux.

I am typing this message on an Asus mainboard powered custom built workstation running Ubuntu MATE LTS 18.04.

IMO Samsung storage is junk.  Their spinning drives were junk and now their SSDs are known to just up and die fairly regularly.  They take a lot of short cuts too.  I remember on one series it would lose data over time due to discharging.  So Samsung issued a patch to have the drive internally move the data around.  This would recharge the cells but worn down the write cycles.  Typical Samsung engineering.  Google/Bing/DuckDuckGo it.

They do make fast SSD/M.2's I'll give points on that, however I want my storage to be reliable first then fast second.

well the mint was one of my choices . along with zorin .. i have an amd machine that was custom built and while most of the components were good the guy who built it gave me a counterfeit version of windows on it .. so thats where i decided to get a samsung ssd drive  which died .. but i did manage to get a version of zorin 12.4 on there which i was usin pretty good .. till the sammy drive went tits up and died on me .. i tried to put the old drive in and not long after the power supply in the machine died .. i just assumed maybe that machine was just bad luck for me .. so rather than install a new power supply i got another asus and put windows 7 on that .. and then of course windows threw me under the bus .. right after they threw me off the bus .. so .. i been toolin around tryin to find out all i can before i do somethin stupid and one of the things i've seen is some of the distro's don't like nvida which is what i'm pretty sure i have in both of my asus machines .. i think they're the essentio 6780 or 6870 ..somethin like that .. both really good reliable machines .. 16 gigs of ram in each one .. they came with 8 tho . but i like to open a lotta windows when i'm researchin stuff so ..i need all the ram i can get .. i also have a sony viao which is also an i7 intel processor like the asus machines are ..i haven't checked to see if thats also invida in there too .. it might be tho.. i also have an older vista machine that i can throw a copy of zorin 9 on for a 32 bit system.. and i have an older acer laptope that i think the hardrive is fried on but i have another asus laptop that the keyboard died but the hardrive is still good .. both of em about the same age .. windows 7 .. its been awhile tho so i'm not sure if they're amd or intel ..but they're way last on my list so no hurry for them .. i'm thinkin i'd like to keep the windows 7 on the machines that have em and then do a dual boot and just keep the partition a little larger than what 7 is already usin .. and then maybe at some point when i can get all my pics and documents moved over to the linux machines i can finally play taps for windows 7 and erase them for good .. seems like i got a lotta work ahead of me .. but i'm lookin forward to it .. a little at a time .. the older machines i'd probably go with somethin a lot lighter like linux lite 4.8 ?? or the zorin 9 if the memory and ram will support it .. i don't need the latest and greatest ..i just want somethin reliable that works .. i'll try different browsers on each machine and see why one is better for me than another .. chromium , firefox , brave , whats microsofts new one again ?? not sure but i'll try it anyway .. dump it in a n.y. minute if it bites tho .. so .. for the most part i'm a pretty clean slate and open to suggestions . but i do have an idea what i'm tryin to do .. i don't need a distro made for gamers cause i'm not a gamer .. i really need somethin thats gonna work that i don't need to program it ..i have to admit i'm not really qualified to do that .. i can change drives and ram and stuff like that with no problem .. but like clint eastwood said .. a mans got to know his limitations . right after he shot somebody .. i don't need to get shot .. i know my limitations ..

(02-12-2020, 03:39 PM)spudnuts Wrote: And I forgot to mention when you try them with a live image they will run slower than normal because they are running from the usb instead of the harddrive.

thanks spud .. good to know ..

(02-12-2020, 03:56 AM)kb0hae Wrote:
(02-11-2020, 10:27 PM)frenchy Wrote: i was thinkin 6 to 8 gb is what i'd need cliff .. and probably not all that much difference in the price .. my main concern was the hardware incompatibilities more than anything tho .. other than that i'm pretty much ok .. i just want a stable reliable machine .. latest and greatest is fine for the guys that are into that thing .. i get that .. i'm not so much  .. just gimme somethin i can rely on and won't have conflicts with my asus machines .. i am willin to try different distro's in fact i really would like to try a few just to see which ones feel the most ... comfortable .. considerin i'm a long time windows user .. if i can spend some time with a few different ones then i can surely give some good advice to other windows refugees who are tired of bein thrown under the bus by windows time after time .. thrown off the freakin bus by windows actually ..and then thrown off the cliff ..
 enough is enough already ..

Hi Frenchy.  Most Linux distros are downloaded as a DVD image, and DVDs hold about 4Gb.  I have been using Linux since fall of 2007, various distros.  In 2010, I got my first IBM Thinkpad, a T41.  Since then I have bought only IBM or Lenovo (Lenovo took over the hardware part of IBM) computers.  All of them have been used, the newest is a T420 with an i5 processor and 8Gb of ram.  I like the build quality of the Lenovo machines, and that they are made to easily serviced.  If your computer(s) run Win7 ok, they will probably work with Linux.  You can find out online, just do a search on installing Linux on (name/model of your computer) .  Just a note, many distros no longer have 32 bit versions.  
My favorite distro is SolydK, a distro that uses the KDE desktop, and has most of my favorite software pre-installed.  If you decide to get different hardware, NewEgg has lots of refurbished Lenovo machines.  Some may have the dreaded Windows 10 installed, but that can be wiped out, and Linux installed.
My best advice is check out whether your current hardware works with Linux, including video cards, and printers. 
Good luck, and may your Linux journey be a good one!

hi kb , i been checkin all over the net and mostly just sorta lurkin around and what i'm seein is some of the distros like mint don't like nvida or maybe its more like nvida just don't wanna play nice with mint .. intel don't seem to do as well as amd either .. and both of my asus machines are intel i7's with nvida .. both of em work pretty well with windows 7 .. but accordin to some its the end of the world as we know it for 7 machines now that microsoft as pronounced 7 doa .. for now they're runnin but we don't need to push it ..

(02-14-2020, 01:16 AM)bob777 Wrote: Hi frenchy and Welcome to the Forum,

I have an 8 year old Asus Laptop that came with Windoze 7...it has 4GB of Ram...64bit and a i5 CPU 2.5GHZ.  it's running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.1 and works just fine.  [Image: smileys-thumbs-315757.gif]   If you're looking for Linux Distros that are stable and easy to use...Linux Mint or Linux Lite are the ones to try.  

https://linuxmint.com

https://www.linuxliteos.com

Just download the ISO and put it on either DVD or Flash Drive and try before you install...or install them in Virtualbox.  Big Grin
I haven't used a 32bit System for 10 years and don't want too because it's just too slow and limited to 3/4GB of Ram.  I'm not a Laptop person as I use a Tower 99.9% of the time...I built my Tower 7 years ago...it's 64bit of cause and has an i5 CPU 3.6GHZ and 16GB of Ram...I don't know anyone who wants to use a slow Computer.    Wink

i'm with you there bob .. i don't want a slow computer either ..one of the things i read is that linux unlike windows does not limit the amount of ram you can put in a machine ..with windows 64 bit systems it was 16 ..unless you had ultimate then you were supposed to be able to use more ..i didn't read anything about a 32 bit system havin any limitations tho .. i have 4 gigs in my old 32 bit vista machine .. it came with only 1 tho .. i thought if i put 4 in there it would use all of it but 32 bit windws systems can only see 3.2 i believe it is .. i thought linux would allow me to use all 4 tho .. and if that was true then maybe i'd even put in two sticks of 4gb and boost it to 8gb .. but i'l have to do a bit more research on that first .. i might be seriously disappointed if that don't work out .. i mean seriously disappointed .. 

and thanks for the links ..
(02-15-2020, 09:31 PM)frenchy Wrote:
(02-11-2020, 08:57 PM)cleverwise Wrote: I have never seen an Asus machine or Asus mainboard reject Ubuntu MATE.

This is what I install for clients, friends, and family every time for desktop Linux.

That distro is stable and works well for both newbies and advanced people.

Still at the end of the day it is all a personal call.  Ubuntu (vanilla/regular) is liked by many and stable.  Some like Manjaro.  Many like Mint.  However I recommend Ubuntu MATE everytime when asked what to start with when using desktop Linux.

I am typing this message on an Asus mainboard powered custom built workstation running Ubuntu MATE LTS 18.04.

IMO Samsung storage is junk.  Their spinning drives were junk and now their SSDs are known to just up and die fairly regularly.  They take a lot of short cuts too.  I remember on one series it would lose data over time due to discharging.  So Samsung issued a patch to have the drive internally move the data around.  This would recharge the cells but worn down the write cycles.  Typical Samsung engineering.  Google/Bing/DuckDuckGo it.

They do make fast SSD/M.2's I'll give points on that, however I want my storage to be reliable first then fast second.

well the mint was one of my choices . along with zorin .. i have an amd machine that was custom built and while most of the components were good the guy who built it gave me a counterfeit version of windows on it .. so thats where i decided to get a samsung ssd drive  which died .. but i did manage to get a version of zorin 12.4 on there which i was usin pretty good .. till the sammy drive went tits up and died on me .. i tried to put the old drive in and not long after the power supply in the machine died .. i just assumed maybe that machine was just bad luck for me .. so rather than install a new power supply i got another asus and put windows 7 on that .. and then of course windows threw me under the bus .. right after they threw me off the bus .. so .. i been toolin around tryin to find out all i can before i do somethin stupid and one of the things i've seen is some of the distro's don't like nvida which is what i'm pretty sure i have in both of my asus machines .. i think they're the essentio 6780 or 6870 ..somethin like that .. both really good reliable machines .. 16 gigs of ram in each one .. they came with 8 tho . but i like to open a lotta windows when i'm researchin stuff so ..i need all the ram i can get .. i also have a sony viao which is also an i7 intel processor like the asus machines are ..i haven't checked to see if thats also invida in there too .. it might be tho.. i also have an older vista machine that i can throw a copy of zorin 9 on for a 32 bit system.. and i have an older acer laptope that i think the hardrive is fried on but i have another asus laptop that the keyboard died but the hardrive is still good .. both of em about the same age .. windows 7 .. its been awhile tho so i'm not sure if they're amd or intel ..but they're way last on my list so no hurry for them .. i'm thinkin i'd like to keep the windows 7 on the machines that have em and then do a dual boot and just keep the partition a little larger than what 7 is already usin .. and then maybe at some point when i can get all my pics and documents moved over to the linux machines i can finally play taps for windows 7 and erase them for good .. seems like i got a lotta work ahead of me .. but i'm lookin forward to it .. a little at a time .. the older machines i'd probably go with somethin a lot lighter like linux lite 4.8 ?? or the zorin 9 if the memory and ram will support it .. i don't need the latest and greatest ..i just want somethin reliable that works .. i'll try different browsers on each machine and see why one is better for me than another .. chromium , firefox , brave , whats microsofts new one again ?? not sure but i'll try it anyway .. dump it in a n.y. minute if it bites tho .. so .. for the most part i'm a pretty clean slate and open to suggestions . but i do have an idea what i'm tryin to do .. i don't need a distro made for gamers cause i'm not a gamer .. i really need somethin thats gonna work that i don't need to program it ..i have to admit i'm not really qualified to do that .. i can change drives and ram and stuff like that with no problem .. but like clint eastwood said .. a mans got to know his limitations . right after he shot somebody .. i don't need to get shot .. i know my limitations ..

(02-12-2020, 03:39 PM)spudnuts Wrote: And I forgot to mention when you try them with a live image they will run slower than normal because they are running from the usb instead of the harddrive.

thanks spud .. good to know ..

(02-12-2020, 03:56 AM)kb0hae Wrote:
(02-11-2020, 10:27 PM)frenchy Wrote: i was thinkin 6 to 8 gb is what i'd need cliff .. and probably not all that much difference in the price .. my main concern was the hardware incompatibilities more than anything tho .. other than that i'm pretty much ok .. i just want a stable reliable machine .. latest and greatest is fine for the guys that are into that thing .. i get that .. i'm not so much  .. just gimme somethin i can rely on and won't have conflicts with my asus machines .. i am willin to try different distro's in fact i really would like to try a few just to see which ones feel the most ... comfortable .. considerin i'm a long time windows user .. if i can spend some time with a few different ones then i can surely give some good advice to other windows refugees who are tired of bein thrown under the bus by windows time after time .. thrown off the freakin bus by windows actually ..and then thrown off the cliff ..
 enough is enough already ..

Hi Frenchy.  Most Linux distros are downloaded as a DVD image, and DVDs hold about 4Gb.  I have been using Linux since fall of 2007, various distros.  In 2010, I got my first IBM Thinkpad, a T41.  Since then I have bought only IBM or Lenovo (Lenovo took over the hardware part of IBM) computers.  All of them have been used, the newest is a T420 with an i5 processor and 8Gb of ram.  I like the build quality of the Lenovo machines, and that they are made to easily serviced.  If your computer(s) run Win7 ok, they will probably work with Linux.  You can find out online, just do a search on installing Linux on (name/model of your computer) .  Just a note, many distros no longer have 32 bit versions.  
My favorite distro is SolydK, a distro that uses the KDE desktop, and has most of my favorite software pre-installed.  If you decide to get different hardware, NewEgg has lots of refurbished Lenovo machines.  Some may have the dreaded Windows 10 installed, but that can be wiped out, and Linux installed.
My best advice is check out whether your current hardware works with Linux, including video cards, and printers. 
Good luck, and may your Linux journey be a good one!

hi kb , i been checkin all over the net and mostly just sorta lurkin around and what i'm seein is some of the distros like mint don't like nvida or maybe its more like nvida just don't wanna play nice with mint .. intel don't seem to do as well as amd either .. and both of my asus machines are intel i7's with nvida .. both of em work pretty well with windows 7 .. but accordin to some its the end of the world as we know it for 7 machines now that microsoft as pronounced 7 doa .. for now they're runnin but we don't need to push it ..

(02-14-2020, 01:16 AM)bob777 Wrote: Hi frenchy and Welcome to the Forum,

I have an 8 year old Asus Laptop that came with Windoze 7...it has 4GB of Ram...64bit and a i5 CPU 2.5GHZ.  it's running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.1 and works just fine.  [Image: smileys-thumbs-315757.gif]   If you're looking for Linux Distros that are stable and easy to use...Linux Mint or Linux Lite are the ones to try.  

https://linuxmint.com

https://www.linuxliteos.com

Just download the ISO and put it on either DVD or Flash Drive and try before you install...or install them in Virtualbox.  Big Grin
I haven't used a 32bit System for 10 years and don't want too because it's just too slow and limited to 3/4GB of Ram.  I'm not a Laptop person as I use a Tower 99.9% of the time...I built my Tower 7 years ago...it's 64bit of cause and has an i5 CPU 3.6GHZ and 16GB of Ram...I don't know anyone who wants to use a slow Computer.    Wink

i'm with you there bob .. i don't want a slow computer either ..one of the things i read is that linux unlike windows does not limit the amount of ram you can put in a machine ..with windows 64 bit systems it was 16 ..unless you had ultimate then you were supposed to be able to use more ..i didn't read anything about a 32 bit system havin any limitations tho .. i have 4 gigs in my old 32 bit vista machine .. it came with only 1 tho .. i thought if i put 4 in there it would use all of it but 32 bit windws systems can only see 3.2 i believe it is .. i thought linux would allow me to use all 4 tho .. and if that was true then maybe i'd even put in two sticks of 4gb and boost it to 8gb .. but i'l have to do a bit more research on that first .. i might be seriously disappointed if that don't work out .. i mean seriously disappointed .. 

and thanks for the links ..

I think that most of the limits on how much RAM you can install are hardware limits, how much RAM that can be installed on the motherboard.  My M58P Lenovo desktop for example is limited to four 2Gb ram modules (8Gb total).  It will not work with larger ram modules.  With onboard video chips, some of the system RAM will be used as video memory.  You can try your Linux distro of choice on your current computer, and if it seems slow, maybe try Puppy Linux (or SolydX), or upgrade to a 64 bit system.
Well I can confirm Ubuntu MATE plays well with Nvidia.

All main workstations at my office use Nvidia cards.  They work fine.  I have built many systems for clients using Asus mainboards and Nvidia powered cards (Asus, MSI. eVGA).  Those again all run Ubuntu MATE.

So, by all means, experiment with different distros.  Still I can confirm short of a little bit of screen tearing which is easy to solve with a quick script everything worked fine right of the box.  Once that small hack is applied even the screen tearing goes away on Nvidia.

I am not surprised on the power supply.  Unfortunately it is often a neglected part.  It pays to buy a quality power supply as cheap ones are known to damage parts over time with dirty power plus they often die early.  The really good ones come with seven or ten year warranties.  Seasonic is hands down the best.

The browser you were looking for is Edge.  Well the name.  However that is going Chromium too.  MS is killing off the main development.  We really are in a world of Chrome and Chromium browsers (Brave, Opera, Vivaldi [my fav], etc).  Yes I know Firefox is out there but it has long since been any real contender.  Sorry Firefox users but the bottom line is Firefox just doesn't have the budget of Google.

So again I am typing this on Ubuntu MATE LTS 18.04 using a dedicated Nvidia card.  No video issues.  None. Nada. Zip.  Okay you get the point.  Wink

This distro has also been super stable.  I use it for work and time matters.  I can't be bothered dealing OS issues.  It costs money.  I do stick with the LTSes on my work machines.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer
I have heard that MS limits several things in windows 8 and above depending on the version (home/pro/ultimate) but don't know it for sure, as for the amount of memory linux uses I don't know the high end with 64 bit machines but the 32 bit versions use just shy of 4 gigs because of the limits of the chips address spaces.

As for nvidia or amd video cards/chips there is nothing on the internet that some people don't say won't work right with something else plus you said you don't care about gaming so you can just use the nouveau open source drivers as the main point in the proprietary drivers is gaming.

I prefer to use palemoon browser at this time (it is a firefox fork that did not go quantum and doesn't track you as much)(it has a ppa for .deb versions of linux)

The machines most likely but not guaranteed to give you problems will be the laptops. (use a hardwire internet connection when installing to them and keep the power on cord not battery for best results)

And lastly all 4 mint versions come in 64bit and 32bit so if you like uniformity between all your machines it can do it.