Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new guy .. be nice ok ..
hi guys .. first time here and first post so .. be gentle with me ok .. i'm fragile .. actually no i'm not .. just confused .. to make it as brief as i can i've been an end user on computers since the 70's .. and usually did ok with them . had my own busines in the 90's and got my own computer and ran ms dos .. then got windows 95 and then 98 and then me and then xp and then vista and then 7 .. and thats where i drew the line .. i'm not goin to 10 .. i don't care if they wanna gimme it for free ..i'm just not .. i had a custom built machine that i put zorin 12 on it about a year or so ago .. probably longer cause they're up to 15 now .. and i liked it well enough .but i couldn't really find the imagin software i liked .. i use faststone cause its quick and easy and everything is right there for most of the things you wanna do . and its not available for linux ..and then everything crashed .. i thought it was zorin but it was actually the hardrive .. a samsung ssd too . so who woulda thunk it ?? in the meantime i got another asus essdentio machine cause i already ad one of them and liked it a lot and went back to windows on that machine too .. so everything was fine till windows threw me off the bus and under the bus for the last time with 7 .. end of life and all that b.s .. so i'm thinkin of linux .. but somethin thats gonna be stable .. it don't have to be the latest and greatest .. it just has to work .. i'm gettin too old to keep learnin new software all the time .. 

so my big questions are .. how do i find out what linux would work well with an asus essentio .. seems its also the machine that can give you headaches so why try and install somethin thats gonna be a fight from start to finish ?? and i'd like to try a few different distro's on a few different machines i have here .. an old 32 bit vista machine .. as well as an old acer laptop and a sony windows 7 laptop .. 2 distros i had in mind for the asus machines was zorin 15 and linux mint .. not sure which version of mint tho .. the most stable version .. i guess from there i can give my 2 cents on which ones i like and why .. commin from windows it might help someone else .. but the truth here is i'm not lookin to be a coder or a programmer .. just an end user .. any and all reply's would be appreciated .. thanks a bunch .. frenchy ..
My sugestion is if you don't have one get a 2 gig or larger flashdrive and use it to try the live version of the distros you wish to check out.
That will let you be sure that it works with whichever machine you use it on and if you like the desktop.
As for the 32 bit vista machine it may have 32 bit vista but be a 64 bit machine they seemed to do stuff like that from time to time the easy way to find out is simply to use the 64 bit live linux and if it is 64 it will start if not it will tell you wrong machine.
On the version my preference is mint mate 19.3 at this time.
Plus on the relearning thing with linux you don't have to relearn the interface all over everytime it is updated.
hi spud thanks for the reply .. there isn't a place to go to see what machine work better or at least work with some distro's and not with others cause of the hardware you have such as motherboards and video cards and the like ???

i'm thinkin of gettin a few 8gb thumb drives and loadin em with different distros just to see what i like and what works .. whatever i do it'll be better than dealin with windows and havin em throw me off the cliff again .. no more of that for me ..
I have never seen an Asus machine or Asus mainboard reject Ubuntu MATE.

This is what I install for clients, friends, and family every time for desktop Linux.

That distro is stable and works well for both newbies and advanced people.

Still at the end of the day it is all a personal call.  Ubuntu (vanilla/regular) is liked by many and stable.  Some like Manjaro.  Many like Mint.  However I recommend Ubuntu MATE everytime when asked what to start with when using desktop Linux.

I am typing this message on an Asus mainboard powered custom built workstation running Ubuntu MATE LTS 18.04.

IMO Samsung storage is junk.  Their spinning drives were junk and now their SSDs are known to just up and die fairly regularly.  They take a lot of short cuts too.  I remember on one series it would lose data over time due to discharging.  So Samsung issued a patch to have the drive internally move the data around.  This would recharge the cells but worn down the write cycles.  Typical Samsung engineering.  Google/Bing/DuckDuckGo it.

They do make fast SSD/M.2's I'll give points on that, however I want my storage to be reliable first then fast second.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer
If your computer could run Win7 the chances are that any Ubuntu or Mint version will run. As Spudnuts said you can test your choice with a USB stick, though 4GB is the size you need.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon
i was thinkin 6 to 8 gb is what i'd need cliff .. and probably not all that much difference in the price .. my main concern was the hardware incompatibilities more than anything tho .. other than that i'm pretty much ok .. i just want a stable reliable machine .. latest and greatest is fine for the guys that are into that thing .. i get that .. i'm not so much .. just gimme somethin i can rely on and won't have conflicts with my asus machines .. i am willin to try different distro's in fact i really would like to try a few just to see which ones feel the most ... comfortable .. considerin i'm a long time windows user .. if i can spend some time with a few different ones then i can surely give some good advice to other windows refugees who are tired of bein thrown under the bus by windows time after time .. thrown off the freakin bus by windows actually ..and then thrown off the cliff ..
enough is enough already ..
So many choices. but for sure try all of them on the USB sticks , is how I did it. The Debian distros are another choice , very stable. All come with standard packages but you can add any package you may want with the respective Software managers. One nice way to start is to pick one distro that seems ok and install it and don't tinker much with it. Then buy an older desktop for cheap and use that one to play with. If you break it , no worries. I use Mint 19.2 , haven't u/g to 19.3 yet. btw I'm 74. --rick--
Dos 3.2 to Win 10.
Main - Cinnamon 19.2
   Resistance Is Not Futile!
       It's voltage divided by current
(02-11-2020, 10:27 PM)frenchy Wrote: i was thinkin 6 to 8 gb is what i'd need cliff .. and probably not all that much difference in the price .. my main concern was the hardware incompatibilities more than anything tho .. other than that i'm pretty much ok .. i just want a stable reliable machine .. latest and greatest is fine for the guys that are into that thing .. i get that .. i'm not so much  .. just gimme somethin i can rely on and won't have conflicts with my asus machines .. i am willin to try different distro's in fact i really would like to try a few just to see which ones feel the most ... comfortable .. considerin i'm a long time windows user .. if i can spend some time with a few different ones then i can surely give some good advice to other windows refugees who are tired of bein thrown under the bus by windows time after time .. thrown off the freakin bus by windows actually ..and then thrown off the cliff ..
 enough is enough already ..

Hi Frenchy.  Most Linux distros are downloaded as a DVD image, and DVDs hold about 4Gb.  I have been using Linux since fall of 2007, various distros.  In 2010, I got my first IBM Thinkpad, a T41.  Since then I have bought only IBM or Lenovo (Lenovo took over the hardware part of IBM) computers.  All of them have been used, the newest is a T420 with an i5 processor and 8Gb of ram.  I like the build quality of the Lenovo machines, and that they are made to easily serviced.  If your computer(s) run Win7 ok, they will probably work with Linux.  You can find out online, just do a search on installing Linux on (name/model of your computer) .  Just a note, many distros no longer have 32 bit versions.  
My favorite distro is SolydK, a distro that uses the KDE desktop, and has most of my favorite software pre-installed.  If you decide to get different hardware, NewEgg has lots of refurbished Lenovo machines.  Some may have the dreaded Windows 10 installed, but that can be wiped out, and Linux installed.
My best advice is check out whether your current hardware works with Linux, including video cards, and printers. 
Good luck, and may your Linux journey be a good one!
And I forgot to mention when you try them with a live image they will run slower than normal because they are running from the usb instead of the harddrive.
Hi frenchy and Welcome to the Forum,

I have an 8 year old Asus Laptop that came with Windoze 7...it has 4GB of Ram...64bit and a i5 CPU 2.5GHZ.  it's running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.1 and works just fine.  [Image: smileys-thumbs-315757.gif]   If you're looking for Linux Distros that are stable and easy to use...Linux Mint or Linux Lite are the ones to try.  

https://linuxmint.com

https://www.linuxliteos.com

Just download the ISO and put it on either DVD or Flash Drive and try before you install...or install them in Virtualbox.  Big Grin
I haven't used a 32bit System for 10 years and don't want too because it's just too slow and limited to 3/4GB of Ram.  I'm not a Laptop person as I use a Tower 99.9% of the time...I built my Tower 7 years ago...it's 64bit of cause and has an i5 CPU 3.6GHZ and 16GB of Ram...I don't know anyone who wants to use a slow Computer.    Wink
Linux Forever...Windoze Never       [Image: t12701.gif]