Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BU backup by Joe and Jeremy
Just installed BU on both my distro's. Works great! Have CYA on both distro's,too. I use this command a lot:
  inxi -F && dmesg | grep -i errors. This is in the output on Ubuntu Studio 19.10 EE.

[ 3713.796395] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Synchronize Cache(10) failed: Result: hostbyte=DID_ERROR driverbyte=DRIVER_OK

This is out put from inxi report on my LM 18.2 Cinnamon distro after running BU. More errors now than with XBT 1.8 that I was using previous.
[ 7287.069797] gnome-disks[4711]: segfault at 0 ip 00007f4878c2ed8f sp 00007ffdcb11b570 error 4 in libgio-2.0.so.0.4800.2[7f4878b41000+180000]
[ 7343.288155] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdb] Synchronize Cache(10) failed: Result: hostbyte=DID_ERROR driverbyte=DRIVER_OK
[ 7780.204044] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdb] Synchronize Cache(10) failed: Result: hostbyte=DID_ERROR driverbyte=DRIVER_OK
[ 8237.644043] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdb] Synchronize Cache(10) failed: Result: hostbyte=DID_ERROR driverbyte=DRIVER_OK
[11054.800145] sd 5:0:0:0: [sdb] Synchronize Cache(10) failed: Result: hostbyte=DID_ERROR driverbyte=DRIVER_OK
That could a storage error.

Have you double checked SMART? Unreliable but worth a look.

Then run a full hard drive/SSD scan.  I usually use the badblocks command.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Desktop: Ubuntu MATE
* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer
(02-11-2020, 09:00 PM)cleverwise Wrote: That could a storage error.

Have you double checked SMART? Unreliable but worth a look.

Then run a full hard drive/SSD scan.  I usually use the badblocks command.
 I appreciate your reply,Jeremy. In regards to your reply,I'm completely unfamiliar with any of that. I'm sure this comes as no surprise to you. I will research that and give it a go. In the meantime,restarting the computer(s) eliminates the errors. On the Ubuntu Studio machine,Htop revealed something was going crazy after the back up programs were run. That  was evident by output displayed in the top left corner section of Htop's display in the terminal. 100% red line was randomly rotating through #'s 1 and 4. That ceased after restart.

I want to bring home directory from Lm 18.2 Cinnamon machine to Ubuntu Studio machine via BU_Drive. I would like to do this in terminal. Could you post a template of the "path"(command line) that needs to be entered in the terminal to accomplish this? I know I need to fill in some input where required. No pressure. I understand you must get lots of noobs picking your brain for knowledge.

I'm confident in the programs that you guys write for the Linux Community so generously on your own time. I utilized the functionality of XBT_Drive a couple of years ago to load "home directory" on a fresh install of LM 18.2 Cinnamon on a new WD Blue 250 SSD installed in an old HP Pavilion dv6700 Special Edition lap top. Still using that machine today,right now as a matter of fact. This machine has never run so well,I'm sure. Originally released with Vista and later with Win 8.1 Pro by previous owner. Both those OS's were duds right from the get-go. I bought machine at the pawn shop. Wasn't long before frustration level peaked compliments of Win8.1Pro. Solution for that OS's shortcomings by Its creators was update to Win10. I don't think so. Solution was to blow it out and install Linux distro. Upgraded disk on the machine not long after that.
 Back to the pawn shop,recently,and purchased Lenovo T510 lap top. Upgraded hardware(WD Blue 500GB ssd and maxed out RAM to 8 GiB) in order to support Ubuntu Studio 19.10 EE. Installed entire distro. All is well.
An easy way to check the SMART data is to use the program Disks.

Disks:

1) Once started make sure the main SSD/HDD is selected on the left.
2) You should see an eye icon in the upper right (or left) corner of the dialogue screen.  Click on it and select "SMART Data & Self-Tests..."
3) You may see if the drive is reported as okay and look over the data.

IMO SMART data is far from reliable.  Most drives that fail do not trip the SMART system.  However if it ever reports an issue the drive has a problem.

As for badblocks this is a command line.  You need to know your disk partitions.

shell> sudo badblocks -v /dev/sda1 > badsectors.txt

The above is an example.  So let's look at it.

sudo = will run the program as root
badblocks = is the program
-v = verbose (it will report errors)
/dev/sda1 = the partition to check for this run
> = send data output to a file
badsectors.txt = the file to add found results.  The name and path is totally up to you.

However if bad areas of the drive are detected you are able to use the output file and run another command to mark those areas bad so they will not be used.  You should note this is only for a read test.  This program can do a write test but it WILL DESTROY data.  A read test is DATA SAFE!

The above command will NOT destroy your data.  You also need to check all partitions.  This process will take time.  I run this command on systems from time-to-time as a check of the HDD/SSD integrity.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)

* Windows are for your walls, Apple is for your health, Linux is for your computer
Thanks,Jeremy. I installed GNOME Disks and ran "Smart Data and Self-Tests..." Received "Ok's" across the board in the output. Tried to run the shell script in terminal but couldn't get it to go. Tried "/home/*******/Documents/folder name/" at tail end of the command line but I'm doing something wrong,there. Made several attempts,actually,like:
sudo badblocks -v /dev/sda1 > badsectors.txt= /home/*******/Documents/folder name/
sudo badblocks -v /dev/sda1 > badsectors.txt= folder name /home/*******/Documents/folder name/
and a few other combinations.No luck. BTW,I didn't do any custom partitioning on the install of Ubuntu Studio. There is one huge partition only.

DISREGARD THIS POST. I FIGURED IT OUT.
sudo badblocks -v /dev/sda1 > badsectors.txt

output from ubuntu studio machine: Pass completed, 0 bad blocks found. (0/0/0 errors)

output from lm 18.2 cinnamon machine: Pass completed, 0 bad blocks found. (0/0/0 errors)
Sorry for the late reply.  I don't always check this board everyday.

That is good you figured out the command.  It is also good the scans revealed no errors.

Do you only have one partition on the drives?  sda1? Or are there others like sda2, sda3, etc.  If so those need scanning too.
Jeremy (Mr. Server)