Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Live FD opinion(s) and a caution
Since I can't get Mint to install, and don't know why, let me ask everyone, what Live package software do you recommend? I used Multibootfd. I have not gotten a Mint Cinnamon 19.3 .iso to install, and run. Runs ok on the FD, but won't load onto the HD successfully.
   My caution, my one bit of knowledge to another newb is, do not use Etcher. Etcher made a SD card, and a FD stick, unusable, and completely un recoverable. I don't know how, or why, that's just my firsthand experience. No more Linux experimenting till I get some new FDs.
  Can Multibootfd prevent my .iso s from installing to the HD? I really don't have an answer, just the experience, so far.
  Is RUFUS ok? Safe? I'll probably try that next.
  What install options do you use when installing Mint?
 Are the failed installs, since the first one, leaving something on the new HD that is screwing up GRUB?
   Can I install GRUB after it fails? Or run it independently? Maybe at the initramfs prompt?
Sorry for the questions. By next year I'll have answers, and be useful. Thanks anyone. Howard.
(EDIT: deck_luck just added a very clear, step by step guide to using "Disks", along with other suggestions on your other thread.  I would start there: https://www.ezeelinux.com/talk/showthrea...12#pid7012)

I can't make a good recommendation of an image writing utility because, for far too long, I've used an application that allows loading multiple live OSes from a single USB (which I would not recommend given the problems you've experienced loading a single OS).

If you continue to experience difficulties creating live USBs, then you might want to give this website a look: Shop Linux Online.  They sell preinstalled Linux USBs (even DVDs or CDs) of various distros (both desktop and server editions).  That way you can at least eliminate the variable of a bad USB or ISO download.  I do not have personal experience with this website or their products, but if you have already had to purchase multiple flash drives, and now you're looking to buy yet more, then perhaps it is worth a shot.

https://www.shoplinuxonline.com/

If you do still have a working flash drive that will live boot Linux Mint, then try perhaps using the "Disks" utility in a live environment to reformat the other flash drives or your new hard drive that you mentioned no longer works.  Just be absolutely sure that you select the correct device to reformat.  Another utility included in Mint that would work to reformat drives is "GParted".

Best of Luck!  You've kept an incredibly positive attitude with all of the difficulties you've experienced so far!
(02-05-2020, 11:59 PM)Howard Wrote: Since I can't get Mint to install, and don't know why, let me ask everyone, what Live package software do you recommend? I used Multibootfd. I have not gotten a Mint Cinnamon 19.3 .iso to install, and run. Runs ok on the FD, but won't load onto the HD successfully.
   My caution, my one bit of knowledge to another newb is, do not use Etcher. Etcher made a SD card, and a FD stick, unusable, and completely un recoverable. I don't know how, or why, that's just my firsthand experience. No more Linux experimenting till I get some new FDs.
  Can Multibootfd prevent my .iso s from installing to the HD? I really don't have an answer, just the experience, so far.
 Are the failed installs, since the first one, leaving something on the new HD that is screwing up GRUB?
   Can I install GRUB after it fails? Or run it independently? Maybe at the initramfs prompt?
Sorry for the questions. By next year I'll have answers, and be useful. Thanks anyone. Howard.

Hi Howard and others on this forum, my first post here.

Just a week ago I commenced my Linux journey at the age of 76. I made a live USB with Mint 19.3 and tried to install over Win 10 on an old Asus laptop recently discarded by my wife. Did not work and after a few more tries made a Live DVD using the same iso. Nothing complicated, just 'burn image' on a windows machine. On installing from the DVD I had more luck but still ran into 'cannot install' for various reasons  which I should have written down at the time. I persisted in trying again and on the third try it came up installed. So, maybe you could try going the DVD route. Nothing better than seeing the logon screen for the first time.
As far is the USB drive is concerned I recovered mine using a windows utility with 'partition wizard' in the name.

Good luck
Graham
(02-05-2020, 11:59 PM)Howard Wrote:    My caution, my one bit of knowledge to another newb is, do not use Etcher. Etcher made a SD card, and a FD stick, unusable, and completely un recoverable. Howard.
For the sake of balance it has to be said that Etcher is widely used and relied upon. The fact that your installation went wrong should not automatically be blamed on Etcher unless you can prove it by successfully using an alternative such as Unetbootin.
Cliff Coggin
Mint 19.2 Cinnamon
(02-06-2020, 05:08 PM)cliffcoggin Wrote:
(02-05-2020, 11:59 PM)Howard Wrote:    My caution, my one bit of knowledge to another newb is, do not use Etcher. Etcher made a SD card, and a FD stick, unusable, and completely un recoverable. Howard.
For the sake of balance it has to be said that Etcher is widely used and relied upon. The fact that your installation went wrong should not automatically be blamed on Etcher unless you can prove it by successfully using an alternative such as Unetbootin.

Etcher is popular but it does have problems. I never tried to do an install from it (although it would run a Linux .iso) but, when I put Clonezilla on a USB stick (several times), Clonezilla would crash on the second menu. I've read several accounts about Etcher "killing" USB sticks. Better safe than sorry, I say.
Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!
(02-05-2020, 11:59 PM)Howard Wrote: Etcher made a SD card, and a FD stick, unusable, and completely un recoverable.

Have you tried the steps outlined in the section "Recovering broken drives" of Etcher description on GitHub?
My website - My git repos

"Things are only impossible until they’re not." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
(02-05-2020, 11:59 PM)Howard Wrote: Since I can't get Mint to install, and don't know why, let me ask everyone, what Live package software do you recommend? I used Multibootfd. I have not gotten a Mint Cinnamon 19.3 .iso to install, and run. Runs ok on the FD, but won't load onto the HD successfully.
Hi Howard,
I do not use flash drives, but install all OS using iso burned to dvd. This has worked in every case.  When the install program comes up at boot and after choosing the first set of settings it should come to a window that asks where to install....click erase everything and forward to the next screen...make sure to format, file system should be et4, install grub to sda. I am putting this down from memory so go slow.  I have installed many OS's this way with little to no problems.
I have used UNetbootin for years with out any problems.

Hopes this helps.  Cool

I've been using Etcher for years and it works just fine...download the ISO...plug in your Flash Drive and Etcher does the rest. [Image: smileys-thumbs-315757.gif]

If your running Windoze...use Rufus and do the same as above...good luck.  Smile
Linux Forever...Windoze Never       [Image: t12701.gif]