Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Could not resolve host"
I have an Arch machine running in VirtualBox. When I try: "ping google.com" I get "Temporary failure in name resolution".

When I try "pacman -S xorg" I first get a list of the packages associated with xorg. I select "default: all" and get a list of all of the files to be downloaded. I enter "y" and then get a long scrolling list of all of the mirrors it attempts to connect to with a notice for each, "Could not resolve host".

My knowledge of networking is pretty weak, and the Arch wikis throw a lot of acronyms at me as if I should know the jargon.

How can I get networking to work?

Richard
You could try to enable the dhcp daemon:

Code:
sudo systemctl enable dhcpd.service

This is how the Arch live-disk connect to networks.
My website - My git repos

"Things are only impossible until they’re not." - Captain Jean-Luc Picard
It tells me  "dhcpd.service does not exist."

The Arch wiki tells me to install the dhcp package, and of course I need to be able to connect to the Internet to do that and I need that to connect to the Internet.

I am going to re-install Arch and see if I can load the dhcp package during the install.

Richard
(02-03-2020, 04:42 PM)Richard Wrote: It tells me  "dhcpd.service does not exist."

The Arch wiki tells me to install the dhcp package, and of course I need to be able to connect to the Internet to do that and I need that to connect to the Internet.

I am going to re-install Arch and see if I can load the dhcp package during the install.

Richard

On that VM load the Arch-ISO and boot through the ISO.

in the console enter

Code:
lsblk

note your partition numbers, then
Code:
mount /dev/sdaX /mnt

# if you have other partitions (boot, home, and so on) mount those as well
# X represents the partition number

then

Code:
arch-chroot /mnt

Then install dhcp through arch-chroot

Code:
sudo pacman -Sy --noconfirm dhcp

# then enter

exit

# then

umount -a

You can also take this time to install other packages you think you might need.
once you are finished with that, reboot removing the Arch-ISO
that should fix your issue (unless I missed something)

kudos
A computer without Microsoft is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.
-
It is okay to not be able to answer a question,
however it should be a crime to not be able to question an answer.

@ArrowLinux
I decided to re-install it to get a fresh install. It won't boot now. I have tried numerous times. Same result. The first time I installed it, back at the beginning, it booted up fine. This is what I get every time now. 
I am not sure what it is telling me. Or what is different now from before.

[Image: Screenshot_of_Alez.png]
Have you thought about installing something like Manjaro to learn Arch? It's a great way to learn about the distro and makes the install process easier.
I am pretty conversant in Arch. What I do not know much about is grub. My problem in this case is with a custom install script that installs Arch with the ZFS file system. The script installs grub but it doesn't get grub activated.

Richard
(02-18-2020, 04:49 PM)Richard Wrote: I am pretty conversant in Arch. What I do not know much about is grub. My problem in this case is with a custom install script that installs Arch with the ZFS file system. The script installs grub but it doesn't get grub activated.

Richard
I am not familiar with ZFS but I had a grub issue one time when running my install script. the solution for me was to re-download Arch-ISO and edit the grub section in my script.

if you could post the grub section of your script it might be helpful. Arch changes a lot, and fast. some times it is hard to keep up.

you might check out the arch wiki for ZFS Here

You also might try this post in the Arch forum

And if that doesn't help there is a GitHub ZFS project that might help It can be found here

Sorry I couldn't be more help. Arch I know, ZFS I do not.
A computer without Microsoft is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.
-
It is okay to not be able to answer a question,
however it should be a crime to not be able to question an answer.

@ArrowLinux